Yes! First Indian of the Year

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey everyone,

My first Indian of the year was a pretty special one. After 100 wheats, I finally got one on the board. I actually had to go back to where it all started to find it.

My grandparents have a place in Island County, WA that they bought over 50 years ago. It's part of a small, private, sidewalk community of about 60 houses. This place has been good to my brother and I. Between the public places and the private permissions I estimate we've found 25 silver coins (a couple being barbers), 100+ Wheats, and a handful of Indians and buffalos.

Every 4th of July the community hosts a coin hunt in the sandy yard of one of the residents. 12 years ago my brother and I decided to outsmart the competition and buy a bounty hunter. We pulled in over $40 in clad from that spot. In the process we stumbled on a couple old coins, a 1904 Indian and a 1920 buffalo.

Here's the post from that summer:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/11677-my-best-finds-summer-05-a.html

Well, today it came full circle. This summer I got permission to hunt the yard of a house 150 feet from where I found those old coins in 2005. Turns out, the place where I was hunting used to be the general store in the 1920s and 1930s.

This is one of the trashiest yards I've ever hunted. I pulled so many nails and pulltabs but it was super worth it. Shortly into the hunt I found the Seattle Municipal Railway token (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces50600.html). Turns out it's from 1919. Pretty awesome!

I kept grinding it out and didn't find anything worthwhile for the next hour. I got a pretty suspect signal that sounded like it might be another bottle cap but decided to go for it. Glad I did! It was a 1904 Indian Head penny. My first of the year! What made it even more special is that it's the brother to the coin I found 150 feet away 12 years ago.

I took a quick break to pull the crab pots (a treasure in and of themselves) and got back there to hunt until sundown. Found a 1926 buffalo (update, this is a 1926-S!) and a 1954-D wheatie to close out the evening.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507952110.166648.jpg

Overall, an awesome hunt!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507951927.601868.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507951942.555786.jpg

I'm gonna try and sneak out a little in the morning before spending some time with family and friends all day. Have a great weekend and happy hunting all!

-Washingtonian

Last edited:
Upvote 16

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good site, good story and love the finds you’ve made on it! Good luck in all your future hunts!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on scoring that old Indian from the trash. Cool old token coin and Buffalo too. Crabs look YUMMY! Ya' done very good mate!:headbang:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those coins look sweet. So do those crabs! Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds...good luck tomorrow! :occasion14:

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Update: after looking at it in direct sunlight turns out the buffalo is a 1926-S. The least produced of all buffalo Nickels. Pretty cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread