yesterdays finds at the ATV trails

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Took my son with me to the trails yesterday. Went right to the rock pile that I had uncovered harmonica reeds and shoe leather and a couple of spoons and pottery. Went to work on the pile with just the pinpointer and trowel since I could not really swing the detector in the hole. Anyway the pinpointer did signal on a couple of metallic hits and what is on the left of the picture came out first. It looks to me like the top to a bell that you would ding when in a store or on a hotel front desk to let someone know you are there. If others feel this is not the case please let me know because I would like a definate answer on what it is. Also in the hole was the top plate to the harmonica that the reeds came from. I have found reeds before but never the top plate. What is written on it is "UP TO DATE" and it has M. Hohner signature on it. Also says that it was made in Germany, the patent has been applied for and also that it had 20 reeds and is in the tune of A. I did a search for this particular style of harmonica but cannot find any info on when this one could have been made. Found that Hohner started making harmonicas around 1857 but wanted to know when this particluar style was made.

Left my son in the hole to look for mor pottery shards for the piece I was attempting to glue back together and I went to detect a little. Only thing I really found was part of a lead seal that has "THE A C CO. written on it.

My son went off with the other detector and he found a flat button, the center ring for a pocket watch and the handle section of a utensil. I got the tombac button. My son beat me on finds yesterday but thats okay.

ANyway take a look at the pic and help me id the harmonica plate and the round object on the left.

Funkman

Attachments

• IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0
OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
didn't even think of that......thanks for the input smitty!

Funkman

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found the top plate to a harmonica either. That's neat! Great buttons too! Sounds like good times for you two. :)

Nana

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat finds ::)

Big_Digger

Oct 24, 2007
Ireland
Detector(s) used
Whites D-F-X
;Dyes one finds those things but keepn it up as the gold and stuff will come

hh 8)

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks for the input all. I have him hooked now that he actually found some stuff himself and not just followed his father around. Would probably bore the crap outta me also if I was 12 again. This way he has a detector to go search with and I have one. Got to get him his own digger and pinpointer though.

Funkman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread