old_mikee

May 26, 2007
Burbank Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT; Minelab XTerra 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday's finds at Zuma Beach, California

Yesterday, we spent two very pleasant hours at Zuma Beach, me with my MXT and the wife with her Minelab XTerra 70.

Finds included $1.50 in coin, two paper clips, one zipper, two small bolts, a 22 shell, 4 tent stakes (a Chinese contingent who spoke very little english claimed one of them as theirs) and the best find of the day, the beach chair… Wife found the chair buried about a foot deep in the sand. She thought she had found a treasure chest and summoned me with, "we are going to need a shovel".

Pretty funny if you ask me, and quite comfortable I might add.

cheers,

mike
ps: if this was your chair we left it there for you, just outside of Lifeguard Station #5

Attachments

• BeachFinds1.JPG
    BeachFinds1.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 5
Did the MXT handle wet sand conditions OK? Did you toggle switch it to the salt position ? I've not yet used mine in a beach context.

nice finds

Argentium

I'm not the guy to ask as I am somewhat of a novice but yes, I did toggle to the Salt mode and I did unsuccessfully try to rebalance at the waters edge (wet sand area with lots of black sand). I did not have earphones and could not overcome all the noise, so I gave up and went back to the dry sand area where I found it easier to find stuff.

What I can tell you, is the MXT was finding pull tabs and a few pennies, in semi wet sand at a depth of 10 inches or greater…. we packed out lots of trash (foil, rusty metal etc) and we only covered a very small area.

Sorry, but perhaps someone else can answer better than I….

cheers,
mike

Great day for the beach..Geesh..Those pesky tent stakes, there seems to be more and more..Congrats on a fine hunt.

With my Bounter Hunter, I was the tent peg king! Now with the AT Pro, I haven't found one, I'm guessing because the discrim at standard settings removes most iron.

With my Bounter Hunter, I was the tent peg king! Now with the AT Pro, I haven't found one, I'm guessing because the discrim at standard settings removes most iron.

If you are not finding them, they are not there. I run my AT Pro at 35 and find them by the handful almost every hunt in SoCal these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back