Yesterdays Finds!

dredger1

Greenie
Jun 19, 2006
Went riding around a area about 20 miles away trying to find some likely areas to do a little locating yesterday. Found an old home-place that looked promising, so I went to a small country store about a mile away hoping I could find out who the owner was. The girl there told me the old man that lived next to the store would likely know as he was in his 80s and knew everybody in the area.
Walked to the house and asked him about the place and he told me he owned it, he asked me inside and I told him I would like to do some locating around it. Real nice old man and wife, he said he had no problem with it and I told him I would stop back by and let him know what I had found.
He said his father built it in the 1800s and he had grown up there, the property had "no trespassing" signs in the yard and he said they were put there by deer hunters that had leased the land from him. He owns a bunch of land in the area but didn't seem to want to say how much he owned. ???
I proceeded to the house and and set up my locator, turned it on and started getting hits everywhere! I started digging and turns out there were pull tabs out the ying-yang.... The deer hunters had let their mark over the years :o
I use a Scorpion Gold Bug locator so distinguishing trash from treasure is about impossible! Dug holes everywhere, after about 3 hours I had found about 10 pounds of trash along with 2 Indians, a wheatie and a rosie.
I decided right there I was going to buy another locator when I got home! one more suited for coins.(The indians got me all jacked up)!
Went back to his house as promised, and showed him my finding and offered to split it with him. He just chuckled and said he "was too old to start collecting anything" :laughing7: I thanked him and asked if I could return later and try it again, he said no problem as long as I covered my digs in.
Got home and later last night and ordered a Ace 350 and a Pro-pointer from Kellyco after doing a little research. (It will let me tune out more trash and suppose to be a killer coin machine) When it arrives I plan on returning to the site for some more good stuff. I don't' have a camera so I can't upload any pictures of the old house yet, my niece might let me borrow hers for a day or two. Will update forum as to next finds there.

Attachments

• Old House  Finds.JPG
    Old House Finds.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 674
Upvote 0

sctoddc

Jan 4, 2010
Greenwood SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds, can't wait to hear your review of the 350...researching different machines for the wife.

Todd

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I was going to say welcome to TNet, but checked your profile and realize you've been a member longer than I.

Nice post. Get to know that old man more if possible: he and his wife are a potential wealth of information.

Clean that 1888 carefully: it's in nice condition, and just might be the rarer 1887/8. Worth investing in some acetone and Q-tips, if you don't already have them. Acetone only removes organic material from coins. If the Q-tip gets discolored, discard it and start with another one. Acetone is about $7 for a pint, and a pint should last you for years. Check the prices on 1887/8 Indian head cents at PCGS.com, and I think you'll agree it might be a worthwhile investment.

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! Sounds like a cool old guy. You should have some great digs come out of there, can't wait to see some more posts about it.

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Thanks for taking the time to post your adventure and share your finds.

Also a thank you for teaching me new terminology :thumbsup:.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds there dredger1!
Just think what you'll be finding once you get the handy with the Ace! :laughing7:

"Ace 350 and a Pro-Pointer from Kellyco after doing a little research. (It will let me tune out more trash and suppose to be a killer coin machine) When it arrives I plan on returning to the site for some more good stuff. I don't' have a camera so I can't upload any pictures of the old house yet".

Get yourself an easy to use camera as well, they're very affordable now. :icon_thumright:

Cheers,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread