🥇 BANNER Yesterdays productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus much more

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus much more

It's been a very slow January for me as I've only managed to get in about 4-5 hunts which is a sad excuse for someone who's retired and can hunt every day. But my buddy Dan and I finally made it back out yesterday, and we had to brave the frigid low 20s, a biting wind and frozen ground to get in a little swinging. We returned to the spot where we found a 17th century house site in a logged area not long ago. But the finds there were sparse to say the least, so we decided to give the adjacent field another shot. In an earlier hunt, we had found what initially appeared to be a 19th century site on the far side of the field, and that's where I recovered that cool mid-1800s merchant token posted previously. But before we had left that day we started finding a few random, and earlier, targets adjacent to the house site that extended into an unassuming low spot in the middle of the field. Plus we had seen a little brick and heard some iron chirps, so we decided it was worth the effort to give that spot a more thorough look. And it was a good thing we did as we were able to spend the whole day steadily digging targets. Although the colonial coins eluded us yet again, I was quite happy with a 20 button day. And one of them turned out to be a seldom seen patriotic rattlesnake and stars button. That was a first for me, and I've been told these are quite rare. I also dug a solid silver button (oval-shaped) along with a number of other colonial buttons, an early knee buckle, a partially tinned 17th century trifed spoon handle, several lead and pewter musketballs, a cool turn-of-the century gilted locket, and other interesting items. Dan also dug a ton of relics which I'm sure he'll be posting later. Toward the end of the day we expanded our search area and were still hitting on a few random keepers, so we definitely need to make another trip at some point. But we need to refocus on getting into some productive, new sites, and its just a matter of knocking on some doors and catching folks at home. Hopefully we can make that happen soon. Had a fun day Dan - looking forward to next time.

Attachments

• 013115a.jpg
    013115a.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 800
  • 013115b.jpg
    013115b.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 549
  • 013115c.jpg
    013115c.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 574
  • 013115d.jpg
    013115d.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 829
  • 013115e.jpg
    013115e.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 013115g.jpg
    013115g.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 577
  • 013115f.jpg
    013115f.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
Upvote 52

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. Funny that day stands out to me too. I selfishly often wonder what the odds are of finding something like that after just a year and some change? Then I wonder what the chances are of it ever happening again? I guess if the answer turns out to be it never happens again in still one of the lucky ones.
Then I see people like you and Bill who have found several rare items and it gives me hope. Every single hole could be the rarest of the rare. That's why we keep going

I scored 4 touchdowns in one game, in High school. ..Go POLK HIGH! !!!! LOL

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scored 4 touchdowns in one game, in High school. ..Go POLK HIGH! !!!! LOL

I don't believe the water boy/ jock strap fitter touched the ball! Not the football anyway

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that we certainly make our own luck. It's the great researchers on here that continue to find the killer stuff. This season should be a lot of fun. You got your dollar saved out? :laughing7:

Yeah and I'll be seeing many of the boys on the 21st and will have them all spit on it. :laughing7:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah and I'll be seeing many of the boys on the 21st and will have them all spit on it. :laughing7:

I'm just gonna send it to Vino anyway. I'll add my own to it

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent group of relics, love the rattlesnake button!

Steve

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just gonna send it to Vino anyway. I'll add my own to it

Things for $1,000 Alex... Here is the clue... Sideways Canadian spit soaked round yellow object .

What is the Loonie Vino will be posting. :laughing7:

Attachments

• trebek_jeopardy.jpg
    trebek_jeopardy.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 69

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things for $1,000 Alex... Here is the clue... Sideways Canadian spit soaked round yellow object .

What is the Loonie Vino will be posting. :laughing7:

Just what i needed..a good laugh. .
Thanks IP..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joey, they were French produced, though also other variants made in other locals, including the colonies. They were initially representative of the early discussions of a unified colony (13 colonies as one). They took traction after the Mass. Provincial Congress was established. They are patriotic and show up in early home sites and some Rev War camps. Rare for me is how often I personally have dug them and personally seen dug.

I have never found one of these and only see one other dug. I have seen them posted and found from time to time, but less then I do GW buttons. The books might place them lower in rarity for some reason, though I believe them to be rare, more so than most CS buttons and even intertwined USA buttons...you just don't simply see them dug that often.

Are you using an older reference? Troiani's latest book says new information points at Spanish manufacture.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A fine button to say the least Bill. Definitely a banner worthy find. That site still has some secrets I am sure. Nice hunt.
-Evan

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My god, your back has got to be killing you. There's a ton of finds there. Awesome!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an awesome finds and making banner!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Bill. Very well done. GL&HH.

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Sweet digs!! Congrats on the pile of goodies!! My hunting career started in VA and I sure do miss CW relics!!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill -

Congratulations on another impressive find that packs some much history into such a small object lost for over two centuries. :thumbsup: It’s good to see that your snake and stars button button received all due consideration and made the banner, as it should. The other finds are exciting, and the site likely has more to offer. That knee buckle is fantastic.

I regret not having the chance to vote banner, but a lot can happen on T-Net in just 24-hours, since I lasted checked-in. Unfortunately, the only thing I’ve been digging for is the surface of my driveway owing to all the snow happening up in New England. This guy is causing a lot of trouble –

images[5].jpg

I think I’ve forgotten how to power-up my XP Deus; it’s been that long. My buddy tried to get out last week, although everyone advised against it. He slowed up a bit to pinpoint a target, and this is how the authorities found him by his favorite cellar hole two days later. :tongue3:

jhg.png

They say you don’t feel much after hypothermia begins, so I suppose it’s not a bad way to go; after all, it was his favorite hunting spot. I’m told that they had to defrost him for 18 hours, before they could free his digging tool, a jackhammer, from his icy grip.

Enough joking – That button is a great find. It appears that the design comes from the earliest known pictorial representation of colonial union (1754) produced by a British colonist in America. The colonist was some average Joe by the name of Benjamin Franklin. Ahhhhh - the history! How cool is that? Here the picture and the link if you want to read up on it.

330px-Benjamin_Franklin_-_Join_or_Die.jpg

Join, or Die - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I came up with this information when I found my own snake and stars button this past August (same spot where I got the 1877 Indian Head). Here’s a picture of the one button that I found:

P8110180_01.JPG P8110184_01.JPG

I didn’t get the banner nod, but that was o.k. Only one month later, I came up with that George Washington Inaugural button at another site. Last year was an awesome year for buttons.

Your button is clearly in superior condition to the specimen that I recovered. Are you going to send some follow-up photos when you’re finished treating it?

Congrats on another great find!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill -

Congratulations on another impressive find that packs some much history into such a small object lost for over two centuries. :thumbsup: It’s good to see that your snake and stars button button received all due consideration and made the banner, as it should. The other finds are exciting, and the site likely has more to offer. That knee buckle is fantastic.

I regret not having the chance to vote banner, but a lot can happen on T-Net in just 24-hours, since I lasted checked-in. Unfortunately, the only thing I’ve been digging for is the surface of my driveway owing to all the snow happening up in New England. This guy is causing a lot of trouble –

View attachment 1114753

I think I’ve forgotten how to power-up my XP Deus; it’s been that long. My buddy tried to get out last week, although everyone advised against it. He slowed up a bit to pinpoint a target, and this is how the authorities found him by his favorite cellar hole two days later. :tongue3:

View attachment 1114752

They say you don’t feel much after hypothermia begins, so I suppose it’s not a bad way to go; after all, it was his favorite hunting spot. I’m told that they had to defrost him for 18 hours, before they could free his digging tool, a jackhammer, from his icy grip.

Enough joking – That button is a great find. It appears that the design comes from the earliest known pictorial representation of colonial union (1754) produced by a British colonist in America. The colonist was some average Joe by the name of Benjamin Franklin. Ahhhhh - the history! How cool is that? Here the picture and the link if you want to read up on it.

View attachment 1114751

Join, or Die - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I came up with this information when I found my own snake and stars button this past August (same spot where I got the 1877 Indian Head). Here’s a picture of the one button that I found:

View attachment 1114749 View attachment 1114750

I didn’t get the banner nod, but that was o.k. Only one month later, I came up with that George Washington Inaugural button at another site. Last year was an awesome year for buttons.

Your button is clearly in superior condition to the specimen that I recovered. Are you going to send some follow-up photos when you’re finished treating it?

Congrats on another great find!

I'm going to leave it as is Jim. I'm afraid of screwing it up.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHOA! Beautiful hunt, Bill. That button is in absolute awesome shape. Congrats on another banner find, my friend!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your finds and on making the Banner Bill! :occasion14:
That was a very nice hunt my friend, I love seeing early American relic finds.

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions