πŸ₯‡ BANNER Yesterdays productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus much more

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus much more

It's been a very slow January for me as I've only managed to get in about 4-5 hunts which is a sad excuse for someone who's retired and can hunt every day. But my buddy Dan and I finally made it back out yesterday, and we had to brave the frigid low 20s, a biting wind and frozen ground to get in a little swinging. We returned to the spot where we found a 17th century house site in a logged area not long ago. But the finds there were sparse to say the least, so we decided to give the adjacent field another shot. In an earlier hunt, we had found what initially appeared to be a 19th century site on the far side of the field, and that's where I recovered that cool mid-1800s merchant token posted previously. But before we had left that day we started finding a few random, and earlier, targets adjacent to the house site that extended into an unassuming low spot in the middle of the field. Plus we had seen a little brick and heard some iron chirps, so we decided it was worth the effort to give that spot a more thorough look. And it was a good thing we did as we were able to spend the whole day steadily digging targets. Although the colonial coins eluded us yet again, I was quite happy with a 20 button day. And one of them turned out to be a seldom seen patriotic rattlesnake and stars button. That was a first for me, and I've been told these are quite rare. I also dug a solid silver button (oval-shaped) along with a number of other colonial buttons, an early knee buckle, a partially tinned 17th century trifed spoon handle, several lead and pewter musketballs, a cool turn-of-the century gilted locket, and other interesting items. Dan also dug a ton of relics which I'm sure he'll be posting later. Toward the end of the day we expanded our search area and were still hitting on a few random keepers, so we definitely need to make another trip at some point. But we need to refocus on getting into some productive, new sites, and its just a matter of knocking on some doors and catching folks at home. Hopefully we can make that happen soon. Had a fun day Dan - looking forward to next time.

Attachments

• 013115a.jpg
    013115a.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 800
  • 013115b.jpg
    013115b.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 549
  • 013115c.jpg
    013115c.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 574
  • 013115d.jpg
    013115d.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 829
  • 013115e.jpg
    013115e.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 013115g.jpg
    013115g.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 577
  • 013115f.jpg
    013115f.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
Upvote 52
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OUTSTANDING banner button Bill!!!! :thumbsup: You always make the coolest finds. Very informative post.
Looking forward to reading your next story.
Congrats,
Doug

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on a great hunt Bill. That Rattlesnake and Stars button is one of my all time favorites. I first became aware of that button in 1992 when I read about one being found in Howard Crouch's "Relic Hunter". If you have the book, it's mentioned in the chapter called "An Interlude in Time". I remember thinking what a cool button that would be to find! Well, six years later I found my first. Ten years after that I found my second. Shortly after that I got the tattoo :laughing7:

Welcome to the club :occasion14: I'm voting BANNER.

Dang, that's hard core Steve. Maybe I should get a Lord Baltimore tat :laughing7:

lord baltimore portrait.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you have dug the snake button Bill, you qualify for the tat. You can get Lord Baltimore on the other shoulder!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus muc...

I hope Bill has big shoulders if he's getting the Balimore portrait 8-)! Hopefully in 30 years I can have 8 Mass silvers covering my skin lol

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, Here is what Mark Parker had to say about the first snake button I dug (thanks to SilverTreeChaser for digging this out of the archives)

Attachments

• attachment[3].jpg
    attachment[3].jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 63

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope Bill has big shoulders if he's getting the Balimore portrait 8-)! Hopefully in 30 years I can have 8 Mass silvers covering my skin lol

8? Yeah they outta cover the black eyes. :)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8? Yeah they outta cover the black eyes. :)

Did I ever tell you how much I enjoy your upbeat positive comment? Lol all you need to worry about is saving out one dollar buddy. Canadian #2 on my list. Hopefully you don't disappear on me 8-)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I ever tell you how much I enjoy your upbeat positive comment? Lol all you need to worry about is saving out one dollar buddy. Canadian #2 on my list. Hopefully you don't disappear on me 8-)

I thought I had a good comeback saying .... did you forget it's Canadian, so you only get 80 Cents once converted to USD. But I'm guessing that's what you would prefer! :laughing7:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I had a good comeback saying .... did you forget it's Canadian, so you only get 80 Cents once converted to USD. But I'm guessing that's what you would prefer! :laughing7:

Everybody knows in Abe's world 80 cents is worth far more than a dollar. Maybe by that time it will be 88 cents

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody knows in Abe's world 80 cents is worth far more than a dollar. Maybe by that time it will be 88 cents

Oil will likely rebound so very well might be 88. Just too bad for you this is all a hypothetical and you're going down to defeat! :headbang:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oil will likely rebound so very well might be 88. Just too bad for you this is all a hypothetical and you're going down to defeat! :headbang:

Well at 75% of the replies on this thread have something to do with the original post.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I feel very defeated right now
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423156389.159527.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423156454.645534.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tattoo was related to the subject. At least your off topic banter continues to float this beautiful button to the top.

Not in my opinion, unless you dug it. But I guess that's what's great about this forum, that people are free to post what they want. Sort of like what both the buttons and your tattoo is suppose to represent.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The tattoo was related to the subject. At least your off topic banter continues to float this beautiful button to the top.

Yeah - thanks guys. It's almost up to 100 replies thanks to the entertainment :icon_thumright:.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in my opinion, unless you dug it. But I guess that's what's great about this forum, that people are free to post what they want. Sort of like what both the buttons and your tattoo is suppose to represent.

Let's just say that the tattoo was my way of saying how much I appreciate that particular button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread