nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet another "what MD should this new guy buy?" thread

Hello all. My first post here. I have been reading through many many many old pages on this board and have seen this question asked several times. I also see that the responses seem to be, depends on what your looking for, where you're hunting, which brand the responder owns,etc. So I'm going to try and be specific as possible. I might end up with the same responses but its worth a shot.

Firstly, I have never owned a metal detector before. Always wanted one but never had one. Although I know I will love it as I always walk with my head down and will stop to investigate anything interesting I see on the ground. Now I want to find out whats IN the ground.

I am looking to spend no more than $500. I will mainly be searching fields, yards,etc. I will not be anywhere near a beach. I will not need to search in water. I would really like to find silver coins but will be REALLY excited to find a wheat penny or ANY coin as well. I wouldn't mind finding jewelry or "relics" either(I would consider an old horseshoe or ANYTHING old, treasure). I will not be looking for any gold nuggets. I am in central Arkansas. Another big thing is that I would like something that doesn't require a whole lot of tuning, adjusting, etc. I will read the entire manual and learn how to work whatever I get to the best of my ability but my wife will be using this as well, and it needs to kind of be a " pick up and go" machine for her. Like I just stated, the wife will be using this as well so nothing that is really heavy. Ive read several posts about MD's that either say what type of coin is being detected or can filter out pull tabs and such, this would be a plus. Thats as specific as I can be at the moment, hopefully its enough to narrow in on at least a few models to further research.

I see that the Fisher CZ-7A Pro is in my range and is one of the big names but would it do what I'm looking for? Id like suggestions that would sync up to what I'm looking for above to research.

I appreciate any help that is offered and look forward to contributing myself in the future. Thanks.

Upvote 0

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Yet another "what MD should this new guy buy?" thread

Sounds like to me your looking for an ACE 250. I have one, it was my first detector and I love it. It is everything your looking for in your post but you can buy it for $200 or less. It's light easy to use and works great. I would buy it to learn how to use and then pass it off to the wife and buy yourself a higher end machine later on down the road, she will take it over anyway. You may want to take some of your left over cash and add a set of head phones and a pinpointer to the list. I think that's all the machine you'll need for sometime. I have a DFX and I still take my 250 out hunting just because I like it so well. It may be cheap but the 250 will keep up with most mid-range detectors. I dig coins at 6 inches deep with it all the time. Just a few days ago I dug a 1987 penny at about 8 inches or deeper. It was a week tone but I don't hunt with it on it's highest setting. As with any machine they all take time to learn no matter what the brand or how much it cost. The main thing is to get a machine and just start learning what it's telling you. You can only do that with a lot of digging.

Good luck

Kermit

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Garrett Ace 250 is a fine starter machine and does a good job. However if you have the cash for a better machine like the Fisher CZ7A Pro, get it. If you settle on the less expensive machine and want to move up, you are out more money, but you'll have a back-up detector.

The Fisher has that lifetime warranty which is a PLUS. Try to purchase the other size coils and covers for it too. This way your ready for everything. The Fishers can be hip mounted too in case you want to wade in the water where all the gold rings are.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Whichever you decide to buy, try it first. Go to a dealer and do a test drive on the models that interest you. Check the manufacturer sites and read user reviews...

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

HH!
TBGO

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

And when first starting out try not to get discouraged if you're not finding alot. Closets and garages all across the country have dusty metal detectors in them because the owner didn't find silver coins or gold jewelry on the first three or four outings. I think it's been six months since I found my last silver coin.
Metal detecting is a great hobby. At least for me it's a hobby. Some people take it more seriously. Get out there and have fun and enjoy the time you and your wife can spend together. The goodies you'll find are just an added bonus.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i am not familiar with the fisher machine, but i can honestly say that the ACE 250 is a phenomanal machine for the $$!! it will do everything that you described.and as was said already,it can be bought for $200.that would leave you enough extra money to get a pinpointer and a good digging tool.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Nat,

welcome to the board.

First machine, second machine, third machine, it's always the
same question. Which one ???

Don't know.

If you can try out several at a dealer; check for a local club, they
will show you what they are using. Very seldom have I heard
someone admit they made a mistake in getting a machine ???

Like I said, don"t know. Don't know what my next will be either.

Again, welcome.

have a good un............

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm sure all the others before this post already recommended Tesoro so I suppose this is something of a moot point, but,....Anyone who doesn't use a Tesoro...his old lady wears combat boots!

Well, that's all I got to say.

Tesoro rules!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

Michigan Badger said:
I'm sure all the others before this post already recommended Tesoro so I suppose this is something of a moot point, but,....Anyone who doesn't use a Tesoro...his old lady wears combat boots!

Well, that's all I got to say.

Tesoro rules!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for all the replies. Some very good info. I am going with the Ace 250. After the suggestions here, I looked into it and think it would be the best thing to learn with. Then, eventually buy something else. I just grabbed a 250 on ebay new in box that comes with a coil cover, and vinyl carry bag for $200. It has the 6.5"X9" coil. Think that should do for now. Might have been able to grab something used for cheaper but Im excited to get going already.

As for getting discouraged, Im sure Ill be able to stick with it. Im the wierdo that thinks its neat to find an old rusty nail on the ground. Ill probably have a heart attack if I actually find something worth anything at all.

I was wondering if the headphones make that much of a difference? Wouldnt I be able to hear the same thing without them?

Me and the wife ar both excited to get started. We have two small kids so we can put them to work digging stuff up for us :)

Thanks for the info everyone.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You don't have to have the head phones but I do like to use them when it's real windy out or I'm hunting in an area where I want to keep the noise down.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

nathan104 said:
Thanks for all the replies. Some very good info. I am going with the Ace 250. After the suggestions here, I looked into it and think it would be the best thing to learn with. Then, eventually buy something else. I just grabbed a 250 on ebay new in box that comes with a coil cover, and vinyl carry bag for $200. It has the 6.5"X9" coil. Think that should do for now. Might have been able to grab something used for cheaper but I'm excited to get going already.

As for getting discouraged, I'm sure Ill be able to stick with it. I'm the weirdo that thinks its neat to find an old rusty nail on the ground. Ill probably have a heart attack if I actually find something worth anything at all.

I was wondering if the headphones make that much of a difference? Wouldn't I be able to hear the same thing without them?

Me and the wife are both excited to get started. We have two small kids so we can put them to work digging stuff up for us :)

Thanks for the info everyone.

the ace has a belltone that is pretty easy to hear with or without phones, but the phones will extend your battery life by a lot.i think you will be pretty happy with the ACE 250. i was with mine. i eventually upgraded to a more advanced machine, but i still use the 250 a lot because it really is a great machine.its a perfect small, light weight machine to use when you are hiking in the woods and you dont want a big bulky heavy item to carry.oh, and get ready for that heart attack! I'm sure it wont be long before you find something valuable!! good luck and happy hunting!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Headphones are a must most times. You will stop every kid for miles around running up to you to see if you found anything and if they can have it since they all heard the "Beep."

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

Sandman256 said:
Headphones are a must most times. You will stop every kid for miles around running up to you to see if you found anything and if they can have it since they all heard the "Beep."

how true!

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

Nathan104:
Don't forget "Radio Shack!"
RADIO SHACK! :-\
Yep !
I know,
But! Let's remember, their detectors are made by Bounty! :P
AND!
The money that you save, ::) can be donated to the "Server Fund"!
To help keep this Forum up & running!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread