JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a spot that I have been going to every few months for the past year. I have another post with a silver spoon from early 1900's that I found there. I know there is history there.

Today I was digging up the usual plethora of pop tops and fishing weights. I had one hole that had 5 targets in it. 4 pop tops and this medallion. I couldn't read it, knew it looked copper, so didn't worry about it until I got home. After rinsing, I still couldn't read it. My lovely bride had the idea of doing some rubbings of it and we could read a couple of words and the year 1889.

medal.jpg
medal1.jpg
medal2.jpg

With the rubbings, I did some searching and found that this was a Medallion Awarded to NJ Schloss & Co. at the Exposition Universelle in 1889 (When the Eiffel Tower was built).

rub1.jpg
rub2.jpg
rub3.jpg
rub4.jpg

I found an exact picture of the medallion on this coin dealer site:

http://www.lioncoins.com/frames/ribbon.htm

For all those people that ask "What are you looking for?" Well, this is a pretty good example.

Jack

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty darn cool. I like the rubbing idea.

Congrats on the nice finds.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: Nice find Jack! Haven't been out much lately, we have been away on vacation - sounds odd, when I'm retired. Anyway Conny and I just hit the beaches in Daytona and Flagler this week and we are $10 ahead even after the $10 parking fine in Daytona. Damn parking meters. The summer season has returned and so have the finds.

Went to Europe this spring and I got the "shakes" looking at those ruins and digs - no detector and spending time in a Turkish prison doesn't sound like fun.

Hope to see you out there.

Tom & Conny

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
If you have photo editing software you can take a photo of your finds and convert them to grey scale. Doing so helps make the inscriptions on them stand out much more clearly. colors seem to confuse the eye sometimes.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobInFla said:
If you have photo editing software you can take a photo of your finds and convert them to grey scale. Doing so helps make the inscriptions on them stand out much more clearly. colors seem to confuse the eye sometimes.

Yep. works well.

KLGourley

Apr 14, 2010
Lehigh Acres, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rubbing idea is genius! I'll have to remember that. The greyscale conversion is a cool idead too. :hello2:

glenn63

May 3, 2012
That's a watch fob right. I didn't see anybody mention it here but that's exactly what it looks like to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread