gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just dig, screw em

If you talk to 10 different people who work there, you'll get 10 different opinions.

Until you see the LAW that says no digging, then dig. You're not hurting anything and if you're a good digger they will never even know you dug there.

These people don't see it the way it is, these are our parks. We the people who pay the taxes.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Talked to the Parks and Recreation here in Beaufort County today, they said i can metal detect the county parks all i want, but absolutely no digging. Im going to go and see what kind of signals i get, I'm sure there is plenty of clad to be found. Anyone else run in to this kind of problem?

What did you do? Ask "Can I metal detect?" And this was their answer? What did you expect that the average person's mental image of detecting is? "geeks with shovels", of course. You are the latest victim of "no one cared, .... till you asked".

And yes, save yourself some time in the future. Verbage that disallows "digging" is in EVERY single park or school or beach, across the entire USA. Or other such similar terms like "alterations", "defacement", "vandalism" and so forth.

But let's be honest. All such terms implicitly infer the end result. So if you leave no trace of your presence, you have not "alterED" or "defacED" anything, now have you? Yes there's the temporary evil process of extraction, but if this bothers you, then you've chosen the wrong hobby. (unless you're content to only get targets on top of the ground).

I metal detect parks and schools all the time, wherever I travel to. And I'm sure if I asked enough desk-bound bureaucrats, I could find the same type "no" answer that you found. But reality is, if you're not being an eye-sore or a nuisance (waltzing over beach blankets at an archie convention, etc...), and aren't in the middle of deep retrievals when busy-bodies are studying you, then ....... so-be-it. Just go at off-hours, leave no trace, and you've fulfilled the spirit of those laws.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I have to admit I chuckled when I read (waltzing over beach blankets at an archie convention, etc....):laughing7:

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brandon,

Maybe you could use a probe to work a target to the surface without digging, as long as no dirt comes up above the surface you wouldn't be digging.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing you called ....

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use a probe and a screw driver to retrieve targets. Most of the stuff I find is within the top 3 inches in parks. Easy to pinpoint with my Propointer, and find with a brass probe. No digging plus no mess, do a good job and no one will ever be able to see that you were even there. Any busy bodies or other goons want to throw digging rules at you, they will have a tough time when you have no digging instruments 8-)

OP
OP
brandonsmith

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing you called ....

I only asked because the first time i went out to what i believe to be a good area, a huge county park, the cops showed up. I know better than to ask for permission on property with public access. But like i said, people seemed to have a problem with it and called johnny law on me. They showed up, asked what i was doing, and i told them. I ended up talking to them for about fifteen minutes, they were interested in what i was doing and what i had found. They told me that they couldn't think of anything that i was doing wrong but it would be best for me to not continue, great logic there i know. This is why i called the parks and recreation department, to actually clarify. I don't want to keep getting run off if i don't have to.

OP
OP
brandonsmith

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brandon,

Maybe you could use a probe to work a target to the surface without digging, as long as no dirt comes up above the surface you wouldn't be digging.

This is kind of what i figured, definitely have to practice probing some though. I am guessing no matter what, if people see me there with a metal detector, they are going to call the law. But now i know that there is nothing against metal detecting in the county parks.

OP
OP
brandonsmith

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you do? Ask "Can I metal detect?" And this was their answer? What did you expect that the average person's mental image of detecting is? "geeks with shovels", of course. You are the latest victim of "no one cared, .... till you asked".

Thats just it, people did care, including the cops. But nobody could tell me if i was breaking the law, once again including the cops. So i figured i would get the info straight from the horses mouth, in this case, the parks and recreation department. I wasn't afraid of a no because i had already been run off once, but with no reason. I even asked the cops if i was breaking any law and they, three of them, said they didn't think so but were not sure. I guess i should have posted all of this in the beginning, sorry for any confusion. Like i said, i know asking for permission when nobody would normally care, will usually get a "no', but in this case they said i could metal detect all i wanted, and thats what i will do.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they called the cops..so they asked you to leave after admitting your doing nothing wrong...then you call and ask the big desk pushing park manager....good thing your 1200 miles from here i would be disappointed to see no metal detecting signs hanging in the parks i hunt...and no i dont ask and no the cops dont show up...but i can tell you this when the cops do show up they can leave just the same way they came in because if im not doing anything against the law im not going to bend over to make someone else happy...never call and ask permission for something that you can legally whats next asking f you can use 2 ply toilet paper instead of 1 ply?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a safety vest, and a hard hat, Im considering getting some yellow tape too lol?

OP
OP
brandonsmith

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they called the cops..so they asked you to leave after admitting your doing nothing wrong...then you call and ask the big desk pushing park manager....good thing your 1200 miles from here i would be disappointed to see no metal detecting signs hanging in the parks i hunt...and no i dont ask and no the cops dont show up...but i can tell you this when the cops do show up they can leave just the same way they came in because if im not doing anything against the law im not going to bend over to make someone else happy...never call and ask permission for something that you can legally whats next asking f you can use 2 ply toilet paper instead of 1 ply?

I use an ACE350 and love it, guess we will never see eye to eye dusty. Oh and No metal detecting signs are not from people asking, but people who continue to break the rules, and people who don't follow the code of ethics! IMHO

OP
OP
brandonsmith

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FMDAC CODE OF ETHICS
HTML:
I WILL always check federal, state, county and local laws before searching. It is my responsibility to “ know the law “
I WILL respect private property and will not enter private property without the owner’s permission. Where possible, such permission will be in writing.
I WILL take care to refill all holes and try not to leave any damage.
I WILL remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that i find.
I WILL appreciate and protect our inheritance of natural resources, wildlife and private property.
I WILL as an ambassador for the hobby, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.
I WILL work to help bring unity to our hobby by working with any organization of any geographic area that may have problems that will limit their ability to peacefully pursue the hobby.
I WILL leave gates as found.
I WILL build fires in designated or safe places only.
I WILL report to the proper authorities any individuals who enter and or remove artifacts from federal parks or state preserves.

mtruxfan

May 5, 2013
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
BH QD2, Sea Hunter Mark 2, ACE 350, Garret ProPointer, SS Long Handle scoop
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Parks and Rec people are there to maintain the parks and provide recreation for the community. Id say, (IMHO) they dont know what MDing is and thought youd screw up the lawn and leave holes for the mowers to fall in. The Parks and Rec Dept. do not enforce laws. If the cops say youre doing nothing wrong, keep diggin.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
FMDAC CODE OF ETHICS
HTML:
I WILL always check federal, state, county and local laws before searching. It is my responsibility to “ know the law “
I WILL respect private property and will not enter private property without the owner’s permission. Where possible, such permission will be in writing.
I WILL take care to refill all holes and try not to leave any damage.
I WILL remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that i find.
I WILL appreciate and protect our inheritance of natural resources, wildlife and private property.
I WILL as an ambassador for the hobby, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.
I WILL work to help bring unity to our hobby by working with any organization of any geographic area that may have problems that will limit their ability to peacefully pursue the hobby.
I WILL leave gates as found.
I WILL build fires in designated or safe places only.
I WILL report to the proper authorities any individuals who enter and or remove artifacts from federal parks or state preserves.

Brandon, if you're interpretting that 1st point of that code-of-ethics version to mean that we need to go ask at every city hall we come to, that's a mis-interpretation of that part of the code. That's only saying it's our responsibility to "know the law". And that can be looked up for ones-self. It is not to be construed as go ask "Can I?". All laws are available, somewhere, for public viewing. You can look it up for yourself. If you see nothing there that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not prohibited. If you're really gung-ho on talking to a live person at a desk somewhere, here's an alternative: ask them this instead: "Hi. Where can I find the publically available listing of all the city muni. charter, codes, rules, etc....?" They will direct you to that. Ie.: tell you where it is on-line. Or perhaps in a binder somewhere at city hall for public to view, etc... You can look it up for yourself. Because otherwise, by asking live persons "can I detect?", you risk them morphing silly things about disturbing earthworms, or "collecting and harvesting", or "underground sewer lines you might break", blah blah blah (when in fact, perhaps they'd have never have cared or thought twice about it). The mere fact someone is standing there asking "can I?" simply implies that something is inherently wrong or evil about your hobby, that it needed their sanction and approval (lest why else would you ask, if it weren't inherently wrong or in need of sanction?). This is not subconsciously lost on the person you are asking, and they will seek to find a reason to tell you "no" (when in fact, perhaps they'd have never have looked twice at you, if they were just driving down the street).

As for your booting by the cops, we all feel your pain! I hate to say it Brandon, but in this hobby, you have to have a tough skin. What we do is admittedly a magnet for lookie-lous and busy-bodies. Everyone is curious about the "man with the geiger counter", right? And so, it's a little like nose-picking: Sometimes you have to be a little discreet. But yeah, there will be times you get an authority out there with their panties in a wad. No, I do not interpret that as an indication that the "solution" to that is to go ask "can I?" (heck, the cops even said you could do it!). And also notice that in your case, the cops even said they were *only* there because someone had called. RIGHT? (and they didn't even see anything wrong with it). HOWEVER, sure, they must "satisify" miss lookie-lou. So in my opinion, their asking you to leave, to me, would simply be to come back later, when miss-lookie-lou is gone. For example: One time I was detecting in a park, and the cops came to question me. They said they'd gotten a call about a "man with a weapon". Doh! (true story!). I use a bayonnete to dig with. As the cops told me that, I distinctly remembered that about 10 minutes earlier, a person had been walking through the park, and stopped and given me a snide look. Then they walked on. I deduced it was probably them just causing trouble, to give me grief. The cops said I couldn't have that in the park. And actually, they began to even question what I was doing to begin with, but luckily, it didn't go that direction :) Anyhow, using that as an example, it's obviously to be treated as an "isolated incident", and just let that one park "have a rest" for a month or so.

If I thought every time someone said "boo" meant a place was therefore "off-limits", I'd have been out of sites to hunt years ago! Heck, I even had a lady on the beach say my metal detector bothered her dog once! (I think she thought it emitted some type of frequencies only dogs heard or something???). I wish the red carpets were rolled out for us, but until they are, sometimes you just gotta have a thick skin, and avoid busy-bodies. It's gotten to where I hunt parks at only the most vacant of times (early mornings before 8am, or after 6pm, or .... even in the dark).

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandonsmith

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brandon, if you're interpretting that 1st point of that code-of-ethics version to mean that we need to go ask at every city hall we come to, that's a mis-interpretation of that part of the code. That's only saying it's our responsibility to "know the law". And that can be looked up for ones-self. It is not to be construed as go ask "Can I?"

Thanks Tom. Just to clarify a little more, I know i don't have to call anyone to "know the law". I wasn't having any luck finding info on the subject so i did call. Another thing is i didn't call and ask anyone for permission to metal detect, but rather asked if there were any specific laws or regulations pertaining to metal detecting. I was told no, but there were regulations against digging, i then asked for a reference and surprise surprise, this person couldn't give me one. Im not sure if there is a law against digging on county property, sure there probably is though, i am still looking but have been deterred from calling and asking. But i will if i have to, i would rather get a "no" than a ticket.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
is it digging if you do not "remove any dirt? -- coin "popping" using the probe and screw driver method is not "removing ie "digging" any dirt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread