Dec 28, 2016
NH
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the field next to my home. Spent 2 hours digging a few things, including 3 buttons. Wandered to an area I have hit many many times. Started with an AT Pro and now going over the same areas with my Equinox 600. Someone recommended the Aukey BT Aptx-LL headphones and I gave them a spin today. I paid $25 for them and am pleased. The connect faster than my Miccus but dont sound quite as clean.

Anyways went to an area where I've pounded, but just recently dug the CW poncho hook. As well as same area my dad dug a CT State Seal button. I hadn't dug a hole for about 20 mins and was about to call it for the day. This field is loaded with iron. The machine gun kind that is just constant. I leave the iron audio on so I can filter through it.

Boy am I glad I did. I swung and got a short high tone blip. I started circling it over and over trying to get it to repeat. It would repeat 1 direction and would bounce high 30s and as low as 20.

I marked my spot and cut the plug. Couldn't find it. Stood up and swung it again. I was off about 5 inches and still sounded horrible. After enlarging the hole, my pinpointed sounded off and I retrieved this.....

thumbnail_20200803_195924.jpg

thumbnail_20200803_195935.jpg

Upvote 35

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! Hard to tell what they were trying to make out of it..........Too much metal missing & too flat to be shot?

Iowa Dale

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was being made into a coin ring but got lost before it was finished? Super cool find

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay Sultan, that’s surely a first for for me! Man if that coin could talk! (Probably say OUCH!) lol.. Yep, sure would love to hear the story on that one. Such a cool find and a great save. Congrats and thanks for sharing...Ddf.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find. You should consider digging as much of the iron as possible as it masks good signals no detector will ever be able to read through. Also, lots of iron signals can be amazing relic finds.

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. You should consider digging as much of the iron as possible as it masks good signals no detector will ever be able to read through. Also, lots of iron signals can be amazing relic finds.

Oh jeez, makes my back hurt just thinking about digging that much iron. It's exactly like the amount of iron around a cellar hole, but in a field about 5 acres big. I'm trying to tweak settings on my 600 to punch through and separate the iron for now. I definitely agree there's more targets hiding out there. I've found pull tabs and beer cans 10"+ and old coins and buttons at 6". The dirt has been pushed around over the years.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a different looking keeper for sure.
Very altered that's for sure, though I'm wondering what the cut out part would have look like if set into a locket/ring/seal setting.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is the coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time and that’s got a super cool story written all over it. That is truly a great coin relic and I love it. Congratulations

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Nice find!! As to why there's a big hole in it, could be the beginnings of a coin ring? Other than that I got nothing!

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!! As to why there's a big hole in it, could be the beginnings of a coin ring? Other than that I got nothing!

You may be right. I didn't think of that initially, but those who have mentioned it may be right!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may be right. I didn't think of that initially, but those who have mentioned it may be right!

Agree. It's the start of someone's coin ring project. The damage around the outside edge tells the story. They didn't get very far...

coinringwithhole.jpg

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
My opinion is that it was used as a washer or similar in some machine or operation. I have a couple of 2 cent coins that look similar, but not broken. It does seem odd that they'd use a quarter unless the machine part they needed cost more than a quarter, or that the piece was so far away that 25 cents was a bargain, if it worked.
I've also go a 1942 quarter that has no hole but is clearly a coin ring started but not completed as the sides are hammered to make the ring but no hole through it.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Freakin awesome coin, I love that it has a unique character and a story all its own. Great find

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like they needed a certain size "something". Maybe they needed a new button for the back door on their long johns? Gets awful cold up there.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a cool find no doubt, but highly unlikely that quarter was shot. The hole is much too centered and with a bullet that size it would seem that thing would be ripped apart. Much more likely someone was trying to make a coin ring and punched the hold out somewhat crudely resulting in the break at 6 o'clock. Once it broke the blank was tossed. Regardless it's cool find!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think they gave up on a ring when it snaped

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread