You Know Youre Truly Addicted to Treasure Hunting when...

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Know You're Truly Addicted to Treasure Hunting when...

This is a shameless bump of my own post from March 2006, but its been 2 years since I posted it and I have some more to add...ENJOY!!

1. You glance in the McDonald's donation boxes at the counter, hoping maybe to spot a Wheatie.
2. You look at EVERY coin you receive and jiggle your pocket at the end of the day, listening for the sounds of silver, just in case you had missed in during the day.
3. Not only are you willing, but look forward to battling snow, penetrating sun, poison ivy, and an occasional dog.
4. You refer to old coins as Wheaties, Barbies, Mercs, and Buffs.
5. You spot a crooked tree and swear it points to gold.
6. Finding several dollars in clad is actually unfulfilling.
7. Your weekend trip to the beach requires a sand scoop.

[glow=red,2,300]8. You own 15 different digging tools, but only use 1.
9. You "accidently" jam the Coinstar machine and ask the teller if you can have the contents of the trash tray. TRY IT, IT WORKS!!!
10. You have almost wrecked on numerous occasions because you spotted a foundation or old house.
11. Digging in your church clothes is necessary at times.
12. You meet the in-laws for the first time and immediately direct the conversation to questions about the history of their property...(haha, my girlfriend was pissed!!)
13. You stop on the way home at a dumpster outside of a house to check the contents.

FEEL FREE TO ADD MORE!!!!

I have actually done every one of these

Upvote 0

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: You Know You're Truly Addicted to Treasure Hunting when...

You get aggravated after repeating for the fifth time that your detector is a sophisticated $900 piece of treasure-finding equipment to the kids in the park that walk up and ask if they can play with your "toy."

You proudly display the detector strap "tan-line" you have on your upper forearm.

After wash day, you find mud in the pockets of all your jeans.

catlord17

May 13, 2006

You read this thread, laugh out loud repeatedly, and find yourself stunned at what you're reading... think, "Jesus that's crazy!"... and then realize you do these things, too. :D ;D

You finally find a woman who makes you happy, but then find your detector in the closet after several years of having forgotten about it, and begin to secretly wish she would go play racquetball with someone else sometimes so you have time to use your detector. ;D

You walk into a cactus while detecting, but don't realize it until you get home and your roommate notices a cactus thorn sticking almost an inch into your leg, which you don't bother to pull out until you've figured out what that last crusted coin really is.

You find yourself eyeing the CoinStar machine lasciviously, with thoughts of future detectors in your head.

You find yourself getting outraged when you arrive at a park and see someone almost finished detecting the volley ball courts.

The park attendant tells you you're not allowed to dig in the park, and you say to him, "If you can figure out where I dug holes, I'll give you my detector." - and he is so impressed after trying to that you thereafter find yourself the only one who has permission from the city to detect there.

The police call you to find evidence instead of their own guy who has a detector.

You find yourself wearing a t-shirt that reads, "Lost it? Ask me to help find it!"

You find yourself losing weight because eating is such a hassle and takes time from doing what's REALLY important.

You get a good signal while crossing a paved road, and find yourself seriously considering digging it up.

You spend more than a year with serious regrets that you didn't bring your detector on a certain vacation.

You wear Everglades Mosquito Repellent (the stuff that REALLY works) and a face mask so you can detect when the mosquitoes are so thick you'd actually inhale them breathing normally otherwise.

You dig a hole 4.5 feet deep to recover a "treasure" you buried last year for yourself, just because you've forgotten what it was you buried and now it's fun to rediscover.

You find yourself able to pay for gas out of your finds and everyone you know hates you for it.

You pay for dates in dirty quarters.

You dream new ways to tweak your detector. More than once a night.

It takes getting thrown twenty feet by a lightning strike that hit too close before you stop detecting in the rain.

You can instantly assess the potential targets of a given area, and find yourself saying "I told you so!" when other hunters don't believe your predictions.

(These are almost all things I have actually done or experienced at one time or another...)

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

i've done a lot of these without even realizing it,, taking the batts,, hoping someones jewels would fall off,, gone to yard sales only at older homes,, slow down when nearing a park area, not for safety, but to see where people are located , and take note of it,, thinking theres not all that much to do at work tommorow,, i can get it all done the day after,, i'll go beeping instead.. ;D ;D ;D it can be worse than booze or drugs,, trust me i'm in recovery !!!!!!

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good

This actually happened.

I drive by a cemetary that is just off the highway every day on the way home. I saw a guy detecting the cemetary and thought "THIS JUST ISN'T RIGHT". I stopped to give him the riot act about respecting sacred burial areas and when I got close I found that it was the grounds keeper with a weed whacker cleaning up around the gravestones. Sheesh! ! ! I then had to pretend I was paying respects to a dead relative.

Maybe I should put a Black & Decker or WeedEater sticker on my detector to disguise it.

B

beachgirl

The weedwacker disguise won't work too well on a beach :)

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Every time you watch a movie or show showing the countryside in England or Europe you start telling your wife how you would like to take a vacation there sometime. And of course she knows exactly why you have just made that comment.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Okay, this one is a true story:
Back in February 1975 it was a very mild winter. My wife was in the hospital having a baby. Back in those days the hospital staff didn't want the Father hanging around while the wife was in labor, so I decided to go and detect a nearby park and come back later. I found my first Seated Liberty Half dollar (1875) that day. I was so excited I had to show her, but first she had to show me my new son. Every one in the maternity ward wanted to see the coin.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

LOL BK! You have a serious problem my freind, ever seen a shrink? Did you give the coin to your son? Has your son been inflicted by this terrible disease that you have? Does it pass from generation to generation? Great story!

catlord17

May 13, 2006

WV_Detecting said:
Every time you watch a movie or show showing the countryside in England or Europe you start telling your wife how you would like to take a vacation there sometime. And of course she knows exactly why you have just made that comment.

I say things like that a lot. ;D Only, I don't have a wife.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505

You have a stack of treasure hunting magazines on the toilet tank.

You take your wedding band off so that it doesn't cause the detector to beep when you check a clump of dirt, not because there is a hot woman nearby.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505

When someone looks in the bed of your pickup they see the nice array of digging tools and think that you are a gardener.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505

You spend more time on your knees than the catcher for the Atlanta Braves.

You spend $300 on Bose headphones because you want to hear every tone.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You lug home an old eighty pound over-stuffed easy chair in the pouring rain from a free pile in someones yard , just so you can rip the sides and cusions apart .When you find a 1949 wheatie - it was all worth it ! xcept the wife thinks your crazy .

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505

The phrase, "outstanding in your field" refers to your location rather than being an adjective for your career accomplishments.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ringding said:
The phrase, "outstanding in your field" refers to your location rather than being an adjective for your career accomplishments.

HAHAHAHA!!! That is one of the best ones yet.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505

Your metal detector has a toilet paper roll dispenser attached to it.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

You start watching crime investigation shows on TV so you can say "He doesn't know how to operate a detector" or "The coils too high" or "That thing sounds like a geiger counter" and other things.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505

You pay $175,000 for a house built in 1912 just so you can detect the yard.

catlord17

May 13, 2006

Digginman said:
You start watching crime investigation shows on TV so you can say "He doesn't know how to operate a detector" or "The coils too high" or "That thing sounds like a geiger counter" and other things.

Done that. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread