You sell old scrap lead?

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sell old scrap lead? .... I hunt too much scrap lead ... are some kilos of lead bullets and old pieces that I sell ... I visited the neighborhood junkyard and offered me 60 cents of Euro per kilo of lead ... I find little, not sure if it is worth selling lead or throw it away ... then I ask you:
If you sell the lead and how much you pay ?
Thank you very much before all! :thumbsup:

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
I have sold scrap lead and wheel weights on eBay and I was getting about $1.25 to $2.00 usd a pound.. I also have sold dented up pewter that I melt down and made ingots for about $12.00 to $15.00 usd a pound on eBay...

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sell it as plain lead! Old lead has significant value over new lead for technical applications. People here have asked about it before, and there are topics further down the page. Older lead has less radioactive isotopes which make it good for expensive circuitry.

HH
-GC

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have sold dented up pewter that I melt down and made ingots for about $12.00 to $15.00 usd a pound on eBay...

Redfish, I am very intrigued and would like to hear more about this. Can you elaborate on your process? Also, what about the content of the pewter? What purity would it be after this process?

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
Redfish, I am very intrigued and would like to hear more about this. Can you elaborate on your process? Also, what about the content of the pewter? What purity would it be after this process?

Sure, most modern pewter is 92% tin with copper and bismuth .. I just get some pewter that isn't collectable and cheap and melt it down outside using a cast iron pot and a outdoor camping stove or you can go really cheap and just use a blowtorch and pour it in a old muffin pan using a ladle or straight from the pot.. pewter also has a low melting point of around 450 F .. btw the last time I melted some pewter down I used a old aluminum pot and a blowtorch and it worked great

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just take it to scrap yard easier and faster
My scrap yard said i must guarantee no lead and if I had enough he would hunt for a price.
I am still finding and saving. I like the idea of melting and feebaying it.

does it give off any fumes when melting? I bet my oven can reach 450*

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all then should pay at least $ 1.25 per pound (2 euro per kilo) .. and more expensive than the old lead is of better quality and is used for industry, I keep looking .. :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sell it as plain lead! Old lead has significant value over new lead for technical applications. People here have asked about it before, and there are topics further down the page. Older lead has less radioactive isotopes which make it good for expensive circuitry.

HH
-GC
You are talking about low Alpha Lead, and it's extremly difficult to get it validated as such.

SS

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
My scrap yard said i must guarantee no lead and if I had enough he would hunt for a price.
I am still finding and saving. I like the idea of melting and feebaying it.

does it give off any fumes when melting? I bet my oven can reach 450*

Hey Dan, When I melt pewter don't I really don't get any bad fumes or smoke.. Another thing is to make sure your pewter,pot,ladle or whatever you use while melting is dry and has no moisture on it.. I also know some people that use a household stove
http://www.barlowstackle.com/Lead-Melting-Pots-Ladles-and-Accessories-C62.aspx

Also check eBay for the completed auctions for pewter ingot

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a mold to make pancake weights... with the stainless fin... I can sell them for $2.50 a pound every day.... and I have problems in keeping up with my orders

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
Hey all
I just got back from picking up some pewter :hello: just under 24 pounds
100_5293_zps7002fdbc.jpg

100_5295_zpsd3c22447.jpg

and here is the rest I am going to melt this weekend

100_5297_zps836f6e56.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread