you tube metal detecting videos

pennyfinderjim

Oct 15, 2008
Greenville,SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE150
:icon_scratch: I'm not really sure if I have the right to make this post or not, but, whether I have or not is immaterial. I have a real problem with almost all of the videos on you tube concerning metal detecting , which BTW are about the only you tube videos I watch, except for some of the weapons firing videos which have the same problem. The problem I'm speaking about is the raucous, and very irritating so-called "music" in the back ground. This "music" is so loud and irritating that you can't hear what the narrator is saying most of the time and I personally see absolutely no need for it to be there! I want to see these very well done and informative videos - BUT-if I have to turn the volume all the way down to avoid the "music" then, there is no point in bothering with them. Now, I realize this post may offend some people who really like the "music" and I apologize in advance. However, I believe these videos could be produced wihout all of the very irritating racket in the background. Not an earth-shaking revelation of a problem -but - nevertheless a problem. :stop: Thanks for allowing a rant.

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
Yep the music sometimes irks me too. I don't mind it when it's balanced properly into the background,
but when it overtakes everything else it gets a bit much.
Some people might say you're getting too old ;D Jokes. :tongue3:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shhhhhhhhhhhhh :wink:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Jim,

I've brought this issue up in the comments section of several YouTube videos. I also can't stand most of the distracting music people choose to play during the videos. It kind of defeats the purpose of narrating the video. You know?

Keep tuning in, TreasureFiend is sure to bring some more videos to the table, and I'm sure others will too, that don't contain annoying music. Welcome to the forum.

Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it is the background music or a You Tube software problem. Either way when I hear the loud music I click off the page. If I want music I will watch a music video.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Being guilty as sin on this one............I will chime in! :tongue3: I have in the past received several comments, PM's or messages regarding the music.......some good and some bad. I've slapped together several videos in the past year or so and one thing that I can tell you, is that many people who produce these videos or incorporate music into them are not producing them with an instructional or technical "How to" theme. When I put my videos together, I like them to reflect not only the hobby or what I am doing, but also something that reflects my own personal creativity.

That aside..........I have taken into consideration previous requests concerning this topic and in my last video (#11 The SLQ Footage).........I put it together in a way that would please both sides (Some people actually like the music/style by adding the "Raw Footage" with no editing or music, after a brief and quick demo of the recovery. I'll be doing the same for future stuff.

Best,
Ricardo

[youtube=425,350]6pQTpr8UiDw[/youtube]

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I like your hat too.

Ricardo's vid doesn't work.

Some vids I cannot hear, wish they had closed caption.

Is the music really necessary to get the message across?

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
greydigger said:
I like your hat too.

Ricardo's vid doesn't work.

Some vids I cannot hear, wish they had closed caption.

Is the music really necessary to get the message across?
I tried putting a myspace video version, as the quality of the videos there is better, but I can't get it to work. I threw in the Youtube variant. Is the music really necessary to get the message across? There may be no message :) That's why I say, some people are not really trying to teach or tell anyone how or what it is that they are doing. They are just documenting something they do with their own touch to it. If I were to do a "How to" video........trust me, I would probably not even include a title in the beggining of the video, let alone music. :)

Cheers,
Ricardo

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Jim,

I watch the videos also and when I do I want to feel like I am there with the detectorist so i want to hear the noises coming out of the machine. Some poeple use headphones I know but if they make a video maybe they can take the headphones out for a minute or so when they have a great sounding target so others can hear it with them. I feel this could be an invaluable learning experience for the newbies and others who are having trouble "hearing" what the detector is telling them. I don't mean that they are hard of hearing but what noises are coming out of the machine and how loud or soft they are or if while swinging away the noise suddenly changes. Those kinds of things are great tools for people to use to better understand their detectors. Again it also makes me feel as if I am there and trust me, when I detect I don;t have an Ipod or cd player playing while I am detecting :tongue3:

Now Ricardo and others videos are great if you just want to share in his joy of finding a great coin or relic. They are made more for enjoyment than instructional. They want you to see what they have versus hearing what they have and that is fine. Like others have said, there are more videos than you can shake a stick...or a detector...at that have to do with this wonderful hobby of ours.

Ricardo, keep making videos in the style that you want. If you are making it so others can enjoy the fruits of your labors, feel free to have music in it. If anyone is choosing to make a video for instructional purposes, PLEASE let us HEAR what you are hearing and walk us through your process and what you do. I hope to get a camcorder so I can make videos of my own and I assure you the first one will be some of my techniques because sometimes I feel I cannot explain them properly.

Anyway Jim...enjoy the videos and the hobby. Here is a link to some other videos that was posted here by another member:
http://metal-detecting.bestonlineinfo.net/

HH

Funkman

ps...hope I didn;t offend anyone with my opinion. We all know opinions are like a..holes. Everyone has one :icon_jokercolor:

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Being a producer of Treasure Hunting videos on You-Tube, I think I will add my 2 Cents.

First and foremost-
Most people who video themselves metal detecting and then expect to turn it into a feature film are in for a world of learning. When shooting POV(point of view) video, which most of the stuff on You-Tube is, you're already eliminating one key element of a great video and that is the viewer doesn't know who is talking behind the camera. Therefore, it gives you a 'home video' feeling and not a quality program.

Secondly-
There is a thing called "Copyright". If you use your favorite Led Zeplin or Steely Dan song without express written consent, for example, then you are in violation of Copyright Law, which in turn the true owner can sue for. Now, one would think-"Oh, there are too many videos on You-Tube for them to catch me.." That's one way to look at it, but why would you want to put your reputation in jeopardy? There are, in fact, lawyers and groups that randomly check You-Tube for users who violate this law.

One way around this is to purchase Royalty-Free music. I prefer Gene Michael Productions. Each disc is around $70.00 but you can use the music for 99 years with the purchased license. Granted, it's not going to be Bon Jovi, but more times than not, it will add a bit more 'professional' appeal to the video.

Thirdly-
Balance out your audio levels. Your voice level should average around -8db. If you have music as a background, then it should be somewhere around the -25db to -17db.

I hope this helps and if you guys have any more questions, let me know!

-Ian Conway
www.researchandrecoveryshow.com

Hoosier

Apr 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax , Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
I agree . I'm not to fond of the videos with all music. If I want to watch music videos I'll watch MTV . Do they still play music videos ? :)

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
Lately I've been trying my hand at metal detecting videos. For the most part, my inspiration has been from watching some of the great videos out there from fellow Explorer users. Hearing the raw sounds taught me what deep silver sounded like and helped me further my learning experience.

I've made two videos so far and my first did not come out like I had wished. I didn't get the views that I had liked, but it's difficult to shoot video and concentrate on your detecting. My second outing, I brought along a tripod and kept it with me in the area I was detecting. As soon as I found a good signal, I would point it at the target area while I dug the target. The only problem was that I forgot to show the initial sounds before I started to dig. ::)

I currently use a Flip Video Mino camera which is super for this kind of work. They are specifically made for Youtube type videos. Right now, my problem is that I have so many novel ideas on the perfect detecting video, but can't just have not had the time to try it out. One of them is to have a picture-in-picture of the detectors screen while the main picture is showing the person swinging the detector over the target. The only way for this to be enjoyable to watch would be to frame the detectors screen by itself without seeing anything the ground below moving as it would be a distraction.

Another technique I want to try out is a over the shoulder type shot and get a clear view of the hole while retrieving the target.

All these ideas would be best if I had a dedicated cameraman. :wink: Maybe I can convince my wife or son to do it for me. :whip2:

Feel free to check my two videos out and let me know how to improve. :thumbsup:

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Like me, that is a sure sign you are getting old, Jim! :icon_scratch: :glasses11:
Dag Nabbit!
No insult intended - I feel the same way about all the commercials on
TV.
Well, I am guilty too, but at least I try to tone down the music
when a person in talking in my YouTube videos, and I select
much more mellow music.
I will keep your concerns in mind for future vids.

UV

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only watched a few videos and never really noticed the music. Maybe the ones I watched didnt have any....maybe i just tuned it out..maybe I heard it and liked it...

But I recently watched an historical video of the town I live in and the background music was painfully aweful. The guy did an excellent job of narrating and the historical footage can't be beat...but that old time caliopy and band music had me squirming in my chair.

I think what some fail to do is realize not every one has the same tastes in music.

Al

Ga Rebel

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, M6
When I watch a detecting video, I'm not there for the music, just information. If it has music, I exit. If I want to watch a video with music, I'll watch music videos.

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
I like the music in some, and hate it in others. But I am of the opinion that if you don't like it simply don't watch it. Better yet, make your own videos and put them on youtube. Youtube is a sharing format for INDIVIDUALS. You can't please everyone even if you tried your hardest.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Research and Recovery,

Nobody is trying to sell anything in the videos, nor are they charging anyone to watch them...so how is that illegal?

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
twistidd said:
Research and Recovery,

Nobody is trying to sell anything in the videos, nor are they charging anyone to watch them...so how is that illegal?

Hey Twistidd,

It doesn't matter if you are selling products, charging to watch, or watching free of charge. Copyright is copyright. Sure, you can buy all the music in the world on iTunes or what have you, but unless you pay for a license to legally use the music, then it is illegal.

One may think, "Hey, I just bought this music from Wal-Mart or iTunes. So, technically, it's mine." In reality, it is your music- to personally listen to. By purchasing an album like Bon Jovi or Metallica, you have bought the right to listen to it but you have not bought the right to broadcast it among one or even thousands of listeners and viewers. By paying .99 on iTunes they are simply saying, "Okay, you may listen and only listen to this song as many times as you like for this .99."

The same goes for video and movies and sports. Have you ever watched a baseball game or NASCAR? Near the end of the broadcast, they will do a quick 10 second segment saying, "This broadcast cannot be reproduced without the express written consent of..." All news stations, even ESPN must obtain that right/license in order to reproduce the replays and highlights of the game or race and other than the cost of cable or satellite, it doesn't cost a thing to watching ESPN.

Basically it comes down to this. Say you write music, lay the track down, get it copied and it becomes a #1 hit. Then, every Tom, Dick and Harry decides they will use YOUR music for their personal broadcasting. But, they don't have any agreements or licenses with you or the recording label so that means you aren't getting paid! Wouldn't you get a little upset? Also, what if they used YOUR music on something that you didn't approve of? That would give YOUR music a wrong impression and possibly cost you money in the long run.

To be legal, you have to pay to use. No if ands or buts.

Let me know if I have confused you guys even more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions