you tube metal detecting videos

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
I totally agree. Many people out there assume that as long as it's not being used for profit (the music), then it's legal to use in whichever way the person sees fit. I think the strongest case, when profit isn't considered, is the fact (as you mentioned) that the music or such is being used without consent of the owner. It's wrong to just assume the owner will approve of how one uses his or her music in a video.

Yeah, I doubt you'll be the first person on the authorities list to come after when there is no profit involved, but it is still illegal without consent. :wink:

Nice post ResearchandRecovery. :thumbsup:

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Youtube videos aside...............how do party DJ's do it then? I mean, they cannot possibly have licenses for the 400 or so records they lug around or the massive amounts of music they have and play at parties, etc.

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
Good question. Not sure how they get around that, but it does seem to infringe on the owners rights. :icon_scratch:

I can see how the courts can have a tough time with this law.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I use alot of remixed music from an italian DJ.........who while being famous and having his own records and music............his fame came and still comes from DJ'ing at clubs, where he of course plays everyone elses music. But speaking of the conventional DJ, the ones that show up at weddings, parties, clubs, and other celebrations............they have crate after crate of records or loads of music on their laptops........and they play this for hire. And I know for a fact that not one of them has a license for any of it, let alone their entire music collections. Could you imagine the time it would take to acquire licences for that much music?

None of this of course justifies using copyrighted material that we do not have permission to use. I myself am well in the gray or more in the dark area of any copyright debate.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen any crackdown on YouTube from the Music Police yet--ASCAP and others--so I assume that until the crackdown happens, folks will continue to do it.  Keep in mind, parody is free from copyright laws (but perhaps subject to defamation or slander if needs be).  You can parody someone else's work. 

Sounds like the Music Police have their hands full with illegal copying and distribution by download, burned CD, and File Sharing. 

But I am a musician, and yes, parts of this do strike close to home--although I just don't get the impression that it's a huge issue yet.

I don't know what you do--and whether or not you have employees and are a real company or not, R & R, but I can understand not wanting to deal with the liability. Once you put something out there on the net, it has a life of its own. 

Regards,

Buckles

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
I don't know what you do--and whether or not you have employees and are a real company or not, R & R, but I can understand not wanting to deal with the liability. Once you put something out there on the net, it has a life of its own.

Regards,

Buckles

Hey Buckles,

I'm pretty much a one man band(he he) with the help of others of course. I am simply wanting to do things legal and don't want any reverberations to deal with as far as music copyright infringement. That, and my wife is a Music Librarian at the Univ. of South Carolina and she would kill me if I were to do anything illegal with music.

That, and if you are truly wanting professional companies to look at your work then you want something that isn't going to cost you, especially copyright infringement. AND- and I don't like the fact of having to worry if someone is watching me. :)

Thanks man!

Youtube videos aside...............how do party DJ's do it then? I mean, they cannot possibly have licenses for the 400 or so records they lug around or the massive amounts of music they have and play at parties, etc.

Ricardo,
From what I understand(I will need to ask a DJ I know personally to confirm), each DJ and Radio Station must register with ASCAP(http://www.ascap.com/) and BMI(http://bmi.com) which includes paying fees and what not. Basically, they pay for a license for all the music instead of a license for each individual song. And you can only play the music that is associated with each group, so if a band isn't registered with either ASCAP or BMI, then you would need a seperate license from the copyright owner.

-Ian

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
ResearchandRecovery said:
Hey Twistidd,

It doesn't matter if you are selling products, charging to watch, or watching free of charge. Copyright is copyright. Sure, you can buy all the music in the world on iTunes or what have you, but unless you pay for a license to legally use the music, then it is illegal.

One may think, "Hey, I just bought this music from Wal-Mart or iTunes. So, technically, it's mine." In reality, it is your music- to personally listen to. By purchasing an album like Bon Jovi or Metallica, you have bought the right to listen to it but you have not bought the right to broadcast it among one or even thousands of listeners and viewers. By paying .99 on iTunes they are simply saying, "Okay, you may listen and only listen to this song as many times as you like for this .99."

The same goes for video and movies and sports.
Let me know if I have confused you guys even more.

Actually, what you are saying is true, there is a legal ban on such distribution. :icon_study:
I think I speak for a lot of people, though, when I point out how illogical and
mean-spirited such laws really are.
Sure, the artist has the right to be paid for
his creative works, and they (along with the studios) do indeed reap millions of dollars
in profits for a popular song, so I don't think they are really suffering
when some poor teen living on a dollar-a-day allowance makes a copy. :P

This whole idea of "intellectual property" runs counter to logic and the whole
purpose of human communication, and that is to SHARE your creative talents.

Taken to the extreme, we would have corporate nazis storming your house
for royalties every time someone sings "Happy Birthday!!"
As John Stossel says: "Give me a break!" :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread