Your favorite treasure books post them

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
The General History of the Pyrates is a particular favorite of mine! I talked Dover into reprinting it. They were, let us say, skeptical about it, but it has done well for them.

When it came time to keep going with pirate and buccaneer titles, I insisted they use the uncommon Brown translation of the classic Buccaneers of America. As Peter Earle detailed, it had been translated twice (Dutch to English to Spanish) and changed every time that was done. Dover eventually found Ms. Brown living in France and obtained permission to use her excellent work. If you want the real thing your choices are to find the Penguin paperback, the elegant Folio Society hardcover reprint, or learn to read Dutch.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
spyguy:

It's too close to Christmas to start a tussle about some of those authors (and their books). Let's just say a few are far more reliable than several others. I would gladly trade Jennings and Michael Paul Henson along with the aggregators Penfield, Terry and Jameson for anything written by Ed Bartholomew ("Jesse (Ed) Rascoe").

"Karl von Mueller" was a pen name used by Charles Dean "Chuck" Miller. Deek Gladson was originally a pen name for the husband and wife team of Charles & Gladyce Miller. “Don’t ask them (the Gladsons) if they have heard of the place, if it is in the West; ask them when they were there last.” – Wilbur Charles.

Ounce for ounce, their Sudden Wealth is best book every written on hunting for and finding treasure. “I’ve found my share of buried treasure,” Jim Forsythe wrote in the Introduction, “and now enjoy the prosperous retirement that few men can afford. Had this book been available to me 30 years ago, I would be a multimillionaire today.”

I think the Treasure Hunter's Manual #6 is superior to #7. Whether it or Sudden Wealth is the most useful I will leave to the reader. I'm sorry KvonM isn't still with us to update his classic Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting.

Prof. J. Frank Dobie's works are, indeed, classic. No serious Lost Adams hunter would willingly be without Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver. Its finder has chronicled his accuracy recounting the Tayopa story here on TN. I would hesitate to call his books "true," however. They are folklore, with all the advantages (and disadvantages) of that most interesting school of treasure hunting literature.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The General History of the Pyrates is a particular favorite of mine! I talked Dover into reprinting it. They were, let us say, skeptical about it, but it has done well for them.

When it came time to keep going with pirate and buccaneer titles, I insisted they use the uncommon Brown translation of the classic Buccaneers of America. As Peter Earle detailed, it had been translated twice (Dutch to English to Spanish) and changed every time that was done. Dover eventually found Ms. Brown living in France and obtained permission to use her excellent work. If you want the real thing your choices are to find the Penguin paperback, the elegant Folio Society hardcover reprint, or learn to read Dutch.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Buccaneers of america is an all time fav. Of mine. I found it on a marina book exchange shelf, and what a treasure it was. I must re purchase it now , as I loaned it out and it was never returned. Under the black flag was another one I gave out. I like that one because it gives you a feel as to how closely some of the greats worked together..hornigold, blackbeard, bellamy, jennings etc. They all new each other well and some served together before striking out on there own. Bookaroo I just realized that there is a whole forum devoted to books. Guess I should read more. Anyway I would have posted there had I known.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres one thats pretty good, seems to have some facts mixed up but who knows whos right when it comes to pirates. Lots of great pics. And illustrations. Touches on some of the early days Egyptian sea peoples, roman pirates, medevevil piracy, the far east etc.etc.... great for the coffee table. photo-290.JPG
Man I got to get that buccaneers of america again. I miss that one

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Just be sure you purchase the Alexis Brown translation of The Buccaneers of America. Otherwise, you are getting an altered version of the original.

I saw that Dover has reprinted the classic History of Piracy by Philip Goose. When he was a child he was told bloodthirsty tales of shipwrecks and pirates and buried treasure by the gentleman who watched him and his brother. His "babysitter" was Robert Louis Stevenson.

Highly recommended, as well, is The Pirates of the New England Coast, 1630-1730 by Dow and Edmonds. Don't let the title fool you - there's plenty here about the Caribbean.

Piracy in the West Indies and Its Suppression by Bradlee is an excellent discussion of the last days of the Caribbean corsairs. As you well know, many pirate books are fiction - even when presented as fact. These are very well documented and quite accurate. As is the Pirates on the West Coast of New Spain by Peter Gerhard. It covers the Pacific pirates.

The book that got me started on all this decades ago remains my personal favorite - the late, great Robert Nesmith's Dig for Pirate Treasure. I can clearly remember the day I found it in a corner of my hometown's little public library. I just couldn't believe, after having my Dad read us Treasure Island (with the N.C. Wyeth illustrations, of course!) so many times he could recite passages by heart, that there was actually a factual book about pirates and sunken and buried treasure. I recommend the Devin-Adair first edition, rather than the Bonanza reprint, because the photos of the coins are on slick paper and they are much more clear. About the same time my Mother ordered for me Treasure Maps and Charts in the Library of Congress and I was hooked. Many years later my miserable shipwreck chart was listed in the revised edition of that bibliography and I still marvel at that!

For many years Bob sold books, pamphlets and maps from his Foul Anchor Archives. From time to time you'll see his bookstore label in out-of-print books. When I started Books of Adventure my goal was to duplicate what he'd done, and provide for others the many wonderful hours his wares gave me.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Gravitytester

Feb 29, 2016
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine lab Excalibur I, Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now for the bad news --they have barred metal detecting along the Nassau sound- area -beach areas of both northern Talbot island and southern tip of Amelia island ...

Does that include the sand bar islands like Bird Island?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what jason in enid did. Sure. Just remember to take out the top secret ones. And all the maps that have Xs on them. Lol.

Oh you want maps too ? heh...

Twas a project just to take some pics of books... sheesh gotta clear a way to get to em first... now maps ?

Sheeeeeesh you are talking a project. humph.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own perhaps hundreds of maps.... never counted them...
My oldest map is from 1591... which is debatable... some say 1561.
Tis the oldest known map of Florida.

No no AARC, hide your maps. No respectable treasure hunter would dare ask a fellow treasure hunter for his maps. What I meant was to hide all the ones with Xs on them from the camera.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be sure you purchase the Alexis Brown translation of The Buccaneers of America. Otherwise, you are getting an altered version of the original.

I saw that Dover has reprinted the classic History of Piracy by Philip Goose. When he was a child he was told bloodthirsty tales of shipwrecks and pirates and buried treasure by the gentleman who watched him and his brother. His "babysitter" was Robert Louis Stevenson.

Highly recommended, as well, is The Pirates of the New England Coast, 1630-1730 by Dow and Edmonds. Don't let the title fool you - there's plenty here about the Caribbean.

Piracy in the West Indies and Its Suppression by Bradlee is an excellent discussion of the last days of the Caribbean corsairs. As you well know, many pirate books are fiction - even when presented as fact. These are very well documented and quite accurate. As is the Pirates on the West Coast of New Spain by Peter Gerhard. It covers the Pacific pirates.

The book that got me started on all this decades ago remains my personal favorite - the late, great Robert Nesmith's Dig for Pirate Treasure. I can clearly remember the day I found it in a corner of my hometown's little public library. I just couldn't believe, after having my Dad read us Treasure Island (with the N.C. Wyeth illustrations, of course!) so many times he could recite passages by heart, that there was actually a factual book about pirates and sunken and buried treasure. I recommend the Devin-Adair first edition, rather than the Bonanza reprint, because the photos of the coins are on slick paper and they are much more clear. About the same time my Mother ordered for me Treasure Maps and Charts in the Library of Congress and I was hooked. Many years later my miserable shipwreck chart was listed in the revised edition of that bibliography and I still marvel at that!

For many years Bob sold books, pamphlets and maps from his Foul Anchor Archives. From time to time you'll see his bookstore label in out-of-print books. When I started Books of Adventure my goal was to duplicate what he'd done, and provide for others the many wonderful hours his wares gave me.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Books of adventure you say..... hmmmm . Sounds interesting. Bookaroo you are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for contributing some of it here. What about india and the Portuguese, gemstones being stolen from golden idols, the flaming cross of goa, the raj's storerooms of rubys and storys like that. Anyone know of any books on that kind of stuff.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is great, very informative. I was astonished at the history of canada. I read of pirates , privateers, fur traders and Acadians, towns being sacked , military skirmishes, indian raids and more. Had no idea how successful the privateers of nova scotia were. I travel the St . Lawrence seaway from time to time and will never foget my metal detector again. photo-291.JPG
There is a tremendous amount of lost and hidden wealth from main to newfoundland and prince Edward Island through the st Lawrence sea way all the way to the great lakes. Some great treasures have been found too.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read Rainbow Chasers and also ordered 5 of Marxs books. Read the first 3 in about 2 weeks.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No no AARC, hide your maps. No respectable treasure hunter would dare ask a fellow treasure hunter for his maps. What I meant was to hide all the ones with Xs on them from the camera.

I have no maps with "X"'s on em. heh

Except for this one... that I will sell for the right price :).... :).... :)

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Ounce for ounce, the best book every written on hunting for and finding treasure is Sudden Wealth, by Deek Gladson. Don't be fooled by one (or more) of the volumes with similar titles.

“I’ve found my share of buried treasure,” Jim Forsythe wrote in the Introduction to the first edition, “and now enjoy the prosperous retirement that few men can afford. Had this book been available to me 30 years ago, I would be a multimillionaire today.”

The husband and wife team of Charles & Gladyce penned this classic introduction to successful treasure finding. “Don’t ask them (the Gladsons) if they have heard of the place, if it is in the West; ask them when they were there last.” – Wilbur Charles.

DG SW 1st.jpg

The hard cover first edition

Sudden Wealth
covers it all in a few short chapters: “Big Dividends, No Overhead,” “Treasure Is What It Is,” “HUSH Your Mush” (alone worth the price of this book – not just in treasure hunting, but in life!), “Finder’s Keepers,” and much more.
There are many layers in all of KvonM’s books. The stories are, of course, quite interesting. This is a remarkably easy book to read. But these are not just amusing anecdotes from a man who spent as much time in the field as anyone – and certainly more than most.

Every tale has a purpose, if the reader is smart enough to understand it.

See the photo of Karl sitting on a slot machine counting silver cartwheels from “A king’s ransom in silver and gold coins.” If that doesn’t make your heart race and your blood pound, this just isn’t the book for you!

KvonM SW 06 2013 003.jpg

This volume is a remarkable insight into the shadowy world of professional treasure hunting. The very different world of the 1950’s and 1960’s.

The first edition, first printing, was by the Exanimo Press (Weeping Water, Nebraska) in 1964. It has the large photo of Pike Olander on the cover. It was published in both hardcover and paper. The second printing was a 1964 reprint (no changes) by The Gold Bug (Alamo, California) – the four red squares on the cover lead to a large black “X” (I thought the buried treasure cross was always supposed to be in red).

The first RAM printing (1972) was a revised version with a newspaper article “Traveling Salesman Discovers SUDDEN WEALTH” by Henry George and a much smaller photo of Pike Olander on the cover. Several years ago I picked up a copy for a couple of bucks because the dealer listed Henry George as the author! I paid $2 for my first copy (back when it first came out with considerable fanfare) but I didn't expect to be able to duplicate that.

The second (1974) RAM reprint was revised again by Charles Garrett’s publishing house. They replaced the original plaudits for Kenneth White with praise for him, and changed many of the original black & white photos.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember that book from when I was about 15. I only remembered it because of the picture of karl von Mueller sitting there counting the silver cartwheels. I have no recollection of any of the rest of it. Ill have to add it to the wish list. Thanks bookaroo. Here's a few more of mine. photo-292.JPG
photo-293.JPG nice little book on sea glass small but informative. photo-294.JPG
I use the atlas in conjuction with google earth or google maps. Every treasure enthusiast should have an atlas. More pirate stuff with " the pirates laffite ".
The other is called "the history of coins" by sam rosenfeld its, an oldie but a goodie.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont forget one of the most important reading tools in todays treasure hunting arsenal. photo-295.JPG
The PAD. The possibilities are limitless with this tool. Hell....I wouldnt know about half of these books if it wasnt for my pad.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bah...

Snapped a few pics of some of my books... have more boxed since I moved over 2 years ago.

DSCN1608.JPG DSCN1609.JPG DSCN1610.JPG DSCN1611.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres some maps... ones out anyway.

DSCN1607.JPG

SusanMN