Your favorite treasure books post them

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
There are several books on New England treasure yarns. The problem is they aren't very good - they are compilation (aggregations) of previous treasure stories with little to no original research.

I would start with the WPA Guide to the state(s) you are interested in. If your public library doesn't have a copy they can obtain one for you via inter-library loan. There have been any number of battles fought in those areas - from before the American Revolution through the War of 1812. Follow the trail of Robert Rogers.

Doubtless there are still many bootlegger plants along Lake Ontario's shores. I would research the historical society publications for those states.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honest samuel thats why I didn't pipe up right away , because I was at a loss for info. I was hoping that someone like old bookaroo or AARC, or Jason in enid would enlighten us both.aside from the typical captain kidd stories of block and starr island I havent herd to many legendary treasures. Might be that there is so much history everywhere up there that the stories aren't written down. The book pillage and plunder does cover that area and could be useful for you. The more I think about it you probably should have it in your library. It does cover a lot of pirate/privateer activity in that area, plus alot of stashes and missing loot from land based raids. There is some mention of newyork but it manly covers boston north to st lawernce sea way including maine and cape cod. It would be worth it for you but hopefully someone will come along with other reading info for you. I would start with the immense amount of historical type books on your area those type books will put you on great sites for sure. Im sure with these type books you will find spots that are long forgotten and never searched before. Someone will enlighten us pretty soon im sure. Im hoping to get up to Gilbertsville new york next summer and am researching the area now.
Good luck honest samuel
I searched a couple spots in boston harbor and it was crazy. Metal detector went nuts. Had to put it away and sift. Only got to do it a little but it was really cool. I was directly across the harbor from where the uss constitution was moored. I crawled through a hole in a fence in back of some apartments and got access to the shore line, the entire ground was man made debri and artifacts. I never moved more than 10 feet from where I started. It was loaded with artifacts.

Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a copy of the "Scarlet Shadow" by Walter Hurt 1907 about the battle between the mine owners and the labor movement in colorado. There is a chapter in it that is the basis to the "Treasure of the Valley of Secrets" by Deek Gladson (Karl Von Mueller). TvS is a detailed account of KvonM's search for and research into this amazing story. Was there an armed military camp located at the headwaters of the Purgatoire ("Picketwire") River in southern Colorado? Did a crazed genius manufacture three "airships" (dirigibles) as part of a plot to take over the United States? Was this potentially the most violent offshoot of the early 20th Century Western labor movement?

And is there a Cave of Gold located in the Valley of Secrets, covered by a landslide and marketed by trees that fell uphill?

"Karl von Mueller" (Charles Dean and Gladyce M. Miller were the husband and wife writing team "Deek Gladson").

Anyone know where I can purchase, read, borrow a copy of TvS please PM me with the details. I am open to any arrangement. I will be in Segundo, CO (KvM lived there for a time) and the Picketwire area this summer researching this story further.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That TVS is a hard one to track down Dirt1955. Couldnt find any for sale only reviews about it. Hey Honest samuel I did see one while searching for " Treasure of the valley of secerets" that was called "hidden treasures of the hudson Valley" that looked great for New York. Only probem was the cheapest I could find it for was 1000$. to rich for my blood. It was a guide to forgotten buildings and historic sites in the hudson Valley going back to the revolutionary war. Shame it was so expensive !!!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
The last copy of Treasure of the Valley of Secrets I sold went for $150. I'd ask $250 today - and get it. Over the years I've sold a great many books on treasure hunting and related fields. The book business has changed dramatically during those four or so decades - but today I would happily repurchase anything I've ever sold for the price it went for at the time.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone likes Von Mueller and so do I but I wouldn't say they are my favorite. Like the man said himself, the best treasure hunting books don't have the word treasure in them.

Here's my Von Mueller books.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483058951.579586.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483058977.079356.jpg

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some other ones. Some good and some garbage. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483059184.112941.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483059226.762913.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483059258.229686.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483059300.979089.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483059342.662401.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483059365.628583.jpg

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And some outlaw and old west stuff that I'm kind of interested in.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483059726.246945.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483059750.929179.jpg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
on page 205 in "the funnel of gold" you will see why GME ...says that the pillar that they found on the vessel was the pillar already erected onshore at what today is" Mayport , Fla" as it shows the local indains worshipping it with a chief and Frenchman by it --this was based of a painting / drawing made by one of the French survivors from the massacre ..by the Spanish

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Very nice collection! If that's an original printing of Vibrating Gold Concentrators that's a $75 book. Good copy of Sudden Wealth! I'm not sure which printing is the first - This one (The Gold Bug) or the XX printing with the photo of the gentleman holding a fat stack.

You're only missing The Coinshooter's Manual. And, of course, The Treasure of the Valley of Secrets.

That one in the middle with the orange cover - with the treasure chest - is pretty good, as well...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my dad has the coinshooter's manual and I can't find Treasure of the valley of secrets anywhere but I'm looking because I do want it.

I think this sudden wealth is the first but I don't know that much about them. It's numbered 428.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I don't know. Which Sudden Wealth is the true first? I don't know. They came out at the same time and the both are numbered. #428 is a nice low number.

I haven't seen a copy of ToVoS for sale in several years.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what no "potters" guide to shipwreck treasures...?

Did you mean "The Treasure Diver's Guide"? Got that one. Don't know if it showed in my pics.

I asked for a number of books for Christmas and got them. Most are modern pirate fiction, but one of the was West of the Bull. Can't wait to read that one!

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have that potter one yet.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well ARCC hate to see you so "jammed up" for space ...if those maps or books are n your way --you can send the to me for "storage"

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
"The Homewrecker" is certainly a classic. The "revised" paperback edition had a very useful bibliography inserted. Val Martin just decided to stop included that - a mistake, in my view. Ground-breaking because it is so complete and that it first came out in 1960. There's an interesting part of the very good Pirate Hunters where one of the protagonists was very interested in treasure diving in the early and mid 1960's - but he didn't know Potter's book was out there.

Potter and Nesmith co-wrote an excellent Fawcett "trade paperback" (almost, but not quite, a magazine) called Treasure Hunters (reprinted in hardcover as Treasure; How and Where to Find It).

KvonM wrote that Sudden Wealth was written to "fill the gap" between his own Treasure Hunter's Manuals and Treasure Hunters.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one incredible set of treasure books. Wow !! Shelves and shelves full !!! Very cool thanks for posting. Incredible !! Im still zooming in to read all the titles. Man I gotta lot to read in the future. I would think your collection is worth a pretty penny on its own. Man its gonna take me days to look up some of these books and track them down. Your shelves are deep treasuresalvor !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread