FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak bart:

I was in a little hole-in-the-wall bookstore yesterday and I saw a beat-up of that Ghost Town Atlas (and another one in the series) and thought I'd pick them up for you. Then I looked at prices and said "No, thanks!" Wow! I have no problem paying a fair price but this gentlemen's prices were just silly.

I'll keep looking...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Hey bookaroo dont sweat it , it appears that we have a book ferry on the boat I work on. Speaking of atlases this one showed up on the boat this morning.
photo-311.JPG
Who ever got it for us got it in london for 3 pounds. Its a pretty good one and will make for a good boat book for guests. It set me straight on the story of yamashitas treasure right away, and is filled with pictures, illustrations, maps, and every major horde, cache, legand, tale, recovery, and sipwreck that was known at the time it was printed, 1983. I really like this one. Everyone who is into treasure should get this one, it covers all the majors in the treasure world.

Attachments

• photo-310.JPG
    photo-310.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im leaving for the bahamas for 6 months and someone is loading us with reading material. And yes I will be detecting in the islands while im there !!!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
damn I'm jealous!!

Hey jason keep your ears on, I may need help with history questions and other treasure related stuff. From the looks of your bookshelves you may have some answers for me. Ill keep everyone posted.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey jason keep your ears on, I may need help with history questions and other treasure related stuff. From the looks of your bookshelves you may have some answers for me. Ill keep everyone posted.

Ask away when you need! If I don't have the answer, I have some history-buff friends who may.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , another one popped up on the boat. Someone is dropping books off as fast as we can put them on the boats bookshelves. Dont know who but it sure is nice. This one appeared to be a kids book at first but on further examination it is quite good. Its called "twenty florida pirates" photo-335.JPG
photo-313.JPG
photo-312.JPG
photo-332.JPG photo-334.JPG photo-333.JPG
Several pirates I had never read about in this book including andrew ranson, louis aury, and pedro menedez. Plus some modern stories. Nice art too.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hardcore beach hunting.jpg
Saw this on Am.. and Kell... have anybody bought it? what did you think of it.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here are some pics of my treasure library, kinda forgot to do it whit the holidays and new year and all.
treasure books maps 001.JPG treasure books maps 002.JPG treasure books maps 003.JPG treasure books maps 004.JPG treasure books maps 005.JPG treasure books maps 006.JPG treasure books maps 007.JPG treasure books maps 008.JPG treasure books maps 009.JPG treasure books maps 010.JPG treasure books maps 011.JPG treasure books maps 012.JPG treasure books maps 013.JPG treasure books maps 014.JPG

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Review of.. james.jpg Lots of commons sense stuff, and info on found treasures, but there was nothing that was not cover in other treasure hunting manuals.
Treasurer hunters manual #7 is a far better book..In my opinion.

Attachments

• treasure books maps 008.JPG
    treasure books maps 008.JPG
    631.7 KB · Views: 99

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
civ:

The Great Lakes shipwrecks information in The Treasure Hunter's Digest is a bit iffy...

No question KvonM's THM #7 is a far superior work to Jameson's fiction. To quote Mark Twain, it's the difference between lightening and a lightening bug.

The Book of Buried Treasure one of the classics! Ralph D. Paine found hidden in the British archives the "French passes" that might have freed Captain Kidd. I write "might" because the odds were stacked against him. However, the British government must have been concerned they would help his defense because they tucked them away and kept them from being introduced at the trial.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1401924
Saw this on Am.. and Kell... have anybody bought it? what did you think of it.

I see that one is by gary drayton. He is very well known on the treasure coast and is currently starring on the tv show "curse of oak island" on the discovery Channel . He is a great metal detectorist from what I understand, and is known for a large emerald encrusted ring he found from the 1715 fleet. Unless he is a horrible writer I would think the book should be good. Your book collection is very nice. I love those ghost town books. Thanks for posting clv. I would like to follow some of those gem trails too. I think ill try that "hardcore beach hunting " book.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I spoke with a nice gentleman at Fisher's customer service and he'd never heard of this. No surprise - there can't be too many copies out there.

Fisher 1.jpg Fisher 2.jpg

Later expanded and issued in two volumes - "A" & "B." The first has a fold-out map (and "Buried Treasure Signs" from Coronado's Children). The later pamphlets have several fold-out maps.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Honest samuel thats why I didn't pipe up right away , because I was at a loss for info. I was hoping that someone like old bookaroo or AARC, or Jason in enid would enlighten us both.aside from the typical captain kidd stories of block and starr island I havent herd to many legendary treasures. Might be that there is so much history everywhere up there that the stories aren't written down. The book pillage and plunder does cover that area and could be useful for you. The more I think about it you probably should have it in your library. It does cover a lot of pirate/privateer activity in that area, plus alot of stashes and missing loot from land based raids. There is some mention of newyork but it manly covers boston north to st lawernce sea way including maine and cape cod. It would be worth it for you but hopefully someone will come along with other reading info for you. I would start with the immense amount of historical type books on your area those type books will put you on great sites for sure. Im sure with these type books you will find spots that are long forgotten and never searched before. Someone will enlighten us pretty soon im sure. Im hoping to get up to Gilbertsville new york next summer and am researching the area now.
Good luck honest samuel
I searched a couple spots in boston harbor and it was crazy. Metal detector went nuts. Had to put it away and sift. Only got to do it a little but it was really cool. I was directly across the harbor from where the uss constitution was moored. I crawled through a hole in a fence in back of some apartments and got access to the shore line, the entire ground was man made debri and artifacts. I never moved more than 10 feet from where I started. It was loaded with artifacts.

Try inter-library loan, I had luck getting a copy that way to review. Buying a copy is both difficult and expensive. I know someone with an annotated copy that wants to sell, but as I recall his asking price was going to be over $500. I believe it has some LUE notes with it, if I had the money and a more patient wife I'd buy it myself.

The LUE connection with ToVS has always fascinated me because Karl mentions the LUE several times, but also seems to infer that the ToVS is something distinct, though possible RELATED to the LUE.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Karl von Mueller [Charles Dean Miller] The Treasure Hunter’s Manual #6 (Grand Prairie, Texas: 1961) Wraps and hard cover, numbered on the title page; "Special Printing Of the Sixth Edition"

This might be the single best book published on treasure finding. “The Old Man” wrote a unique guide.

View attachment 1391738

Over five decades after the first edition saw the light of day, it is difficult to fully understand how ground-breaking this book really was. Here, for the first time, were the written secrets of a professional treasure hunter.

In typical fashion, KvonM provided “Answers to The Six Questions About Buried Treasure Hunting: What, When, Why, Who, Where, and How?" Then, in great detail, he wrote about “Instruments and tools,” “Clothing,” “Publicity and secrecy” (easily this chapter alone is worth the price of this book!), “Research,” “The law and treasure hunting,” “Taxes,” and much more.

View attachment 1391739

Karl never lectured. Most of his hard-won knowledge and lore is passed along by telling stories. This not only makes his books as easy to read as they are informative (because the stories are quite interesting, and well-written) it means there are many layers to his writing.

THM #6 and #7 need to be re-read and re-read. You will learn something every time you do it!

No one knew it at the time, of course, but one of the most interesting aspects of THM #6 is that a few years later Karl would write a completely different book on the same subject: THM #7!

This is NOT the much more common RAM reprint – This is the original “Special Printing, published in a restricted quantity, incorporates Appendix B which will be found in no subsequent printings of the Treasure Hunter’s Manual.” Although it was when 8 States (Boulder, Colorado) reprinted it.

Appendix B includes Karl’s “Ghost Town Guide,” a fascinating “25 Exciting Treasure Locations” (long since lifted; but there is much to learn here if you can read between the lines); and the notorious “Roster.” This last list caused some problems for a few of the folks included.

Karl’s useful Bibliography is here (it was replaced when Garrett reprinted this book). A number of times Karl wrote “Most of the really valuable and helpful treasure books do not have the word ‘treasure’ in the title.” Yet most of his did!

The original B&W photos are all here. And – no surprise here! – the information on building your own treasure detector is presented. Charles Garrett saw no point in teaching treasure hunters how to build their own metal detector! Additionally, of course, this wouldn’t help today’s th’er, as the technology has changed so much since the mid-1960’s!

This is a masterpiece!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I find it pretty interesting that Karl's publication of names and addresses of known treasure hunters ruffles so many feathers. As I understand it, some burglaries were associated with this information hence his reason for leaving it out of subsequent versions of the book.

Why this strikes me as odd is A.T. Evans was publishing the monthly periodical, Prospector Club International, which included as a significant feature the same information of new members as a regular feature. As best I can tell, A.T. Evans included this information in his newsletter from 1964 or so all the way up to nearly 1970 before he sold the Prospector Club International. Not only that, but he reprinted the first 24 issues of the paper as a book (Totally worth the price if you can find a copy, the PCI was second only to the National Prospector's Gazette in my opinion) in their entirety, thus making those names and addresses available once more. It seems shocking now, but certainly in Evans' case it was done to help like minded individuals find one another and for the sake of starting and growing treasure clubs which were becoming all thee rage around this time.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-464.JPG
These are some of my recent purchases that were suggested by posters on this thread. Thanks guys they are now part of my treasure library. Using some of karl von Muellers researching techniques I was able to find a good spot that has produced some jewelry and a gold Pocket Watch among other things. I used the local library to check old newspaper clippings and also talked with the curator of a museum and was very enlightened. Cant always find what you want to know online. Treasure hunters manuel has shown me that doing your own leg work is very worth while. Ill be back at that spot in 2 days to continue my dig. I even have 25 pounds of conglomerate from this spot already dug up that I havent checked yet. Im hoping to find a stash of silverware that was lost in a house fire here in the late 1800s. Would never known about it if I didnt go to the local library and museum.

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
View attachment 1421208
These are some of my recent purchases that were suggested by posters on this thread. Thanks guys they are now part of my treasure library. Using some of karl von Muellers researching techniques I was able to find a good spot that has produced some jewelry and a gold Pocket Watch among other things. I used the local library to check old newspaper clippings and also talked with the curator of a museum and was very enlightened. Cant always find what you want to know online. Treasure hunters manuel has shown me that doing your own leg work is very worth while. Ill be back at that spot in 2 days to continue my dig. I even have 25 pounds of conglomerate from this spot already dug up that I havent checked yet. Im hoping to find a stash of silverware that was lost in a house fire here in the late 1800s. Would never known about it if I didnt go to the local library and museum.

KVM is in a class by himself.... I've been binging on his books lately in preparation for a challenging cache lead. Some I'd read before and a few I hadn't. Of the latter I recommend his 'The Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure.' It's a bunch of stories, books, treasure terminology & slang which is short and sweet like 'Sudden Wealth'. I got it through inter-library loan and a nod goes out to fellow T-Net member Old Bookaroo who republished it back in 1990. A book I just read that IMO is all sizzle and no steak written under KVM's pen name Deek Gladson is 'Treasure of the Valley of Secrets'. So glad I didn't pay Amazon or Ebay prices for that one! It talks about the fabled LUE treasure in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, but in only the most general terms. I thought because it was a treasure he'd personally looked for then wrote about that it must be can't miss --- wrong. I'm glad his advice helped you to score some great finds. He is truly an endless source of good T-Hing information & inspiration and one of those rare authors that on rereading yields fresh "new" insights all the time....
HH
-spyguy

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Funnel of Gold is excellent.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Spyguy:

Thank you for your kind words! I'm sorry KvonM didn't live to see that reprint come to light. And I still regret the decision to reprint that one first instead of Sudden Wealth. Nothing to be done about that now.

I sincerely appreciate that you understood what the EBTH is all about. It would be cool to have a 2017 edition but I don't know who is qualified to write it. There certainly isn't another KvonM out there!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

PS: I believe the cover photo for the RAM Reprint of THM #6 is the search for The Treasure of the Valley of Secrets (that title always reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes story). Even if you aren't satisfied with the level of detail in that little book - and I certainly understand your comments in that regard - if you take a step back it is a very useful blueprint for how to go about a research project. Rather like his Master Hunter Manual, there are layers.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
blackbart:

If you found KvonM's THM #7 helpful - and it sounds like you did - then you are probably ready for THM #6. Back when these were still in print (#7 stayed readily available longer than #6) I urged TH'ers to buy a copy or two - even if they had to skip lunch to do it. Quite a bargain at the $10 cover price!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread