Your most embarrassing moment?

T

treasurejack

I probably shouldn't post this, but here it goes. One hot afternoon I was metal detecting a crowded beach in western Michigan when I got this really good signal right at the waterline. As it turned out just as I was lifting my scoop from the sand a couple of very attractive women in skimpy swimsuits approached me to ask if I was "finding any treasure." As it happened, that signal ended up being a silver ring so after rinsing my scoop in the sand I reached it toward them and let them pluck it from my scoop so they could inspect it. It all went really bad from here.
At this point I'm thinking, "Hey, I'm single, they're close to my age, nice looking and friendly." You know, I was shifting into "guy mode." Well, right after she had plucked the ring from the scoop I did one of those quick flips of my scoop so I could hold it parallel to my body while we chatted, only problem is, I missed the scoop! As it turned out the scoop caught me right in "the family" and the handle dinged her right on the head. So there I am, "Romeo the putz", trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears as I attempt to say, "God, I'm sorry!(Please make me vanish!)" Needless to say, I never got that date! Bad day on the beach, real bad! lol

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack, thanks for the funny story! I got a good laugh out of it ! (although I know you were'nt laughing at the time) So far, I haven't had anything embarrassing happen while I was out detecting.

Huntin' 59er

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
standing out in the middle of the woods in nowhereville and having to answer the call "to water the tree"
commence to watering the said tree
then from out of nowhere out pops 2 ladies
one a professor from a college and her grad student doing tree core samples :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

OP
OP
T

treasurejack

She set it back in the scoop right before she walked off rubbing her head. I can't tell you how bad I felt about that little event! Funny now, not so funny then!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
papa said:
TJ, Did you get the ring back from her ? ;D

Jack,
Funny story. Thanks for sharing.
Heck with the ring, did you get any pictures of the girls? ::)
-MM-
P.S. You can tell I've been married for 25 years. :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story Jack. As I read it, I thought to myself, "Oh no, she's gonna keep the ring."

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I told this story in chat ...so guess I can tell it here...I have so many embarrassing moments that I could write a book....
I went to one of those amusement parks where they have the huge slides. Was wearing a tube top.....like the idiot that I am....
Went down the slide and when I got to the bottom there was a crowd and everyone started clapping....My tube top had rolled down to my waist....I just about died.... :-[
To make matters worse....the guy that ran the ticket stand said I could have an all day free pass if I stayed....I did not accept it.... :D :D :D :D :D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
I told this story in chat ...so guess I can tell it here...I have so many embarrassing moments that I could write a book....
I went to one of those amusement parks where they have the huge slides. Was wearing a tube top.....like the idiot that I am....
Went down the slide and when I got to the bottom there was a crowd and everyone started clapping....My tube top had rolled down to my waist....I just about died.... :-[
To make matters worse....the guy that ran the ticket stand said I could have an all day free pass if I stayed....I did not accept it.... :D :D :D :D :D

Gypsy,
Funny you should bring that up. I was at that water park that day. That event is still stuck in my mind. ;D
Just kidding. Just like my metal detecting, I'm NEVER in the right place at the right time. :(
-MM-

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Oh I feel for you guys (and Gal ;) )!
I had a similar episode this summer.
I had been camping at the base most of the summer. I rose really early one morning to do some detecting. Half an hour into it, I'm covered head to toe in dirt and in a position resembling this fellow when a group of our finest jogged by. I heard some whistling, cat calls and LOTS of laughing but I didn't dare look up. And I'm still single if you can believe it. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
DOH!

Attachments

• butt.jpg
    butt.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 526

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Spent the morning getting the dredge all set up, carefully positioned my anchor ropes, dropped my grappling hook at the back of the hole, got the dredge all fired up on the bank and shoved off into twenty feet of water. Well, when I hopped off the pontoons and into the hole, I didn't have my regulator in my mouth, much less looped through my weightbelt like I normally do, so here I am pinned down in 20 feet of water with 50 pounds of lead around my waist, and no air.

With the whole club watching this "expert" teaching them how to dredge..... LOL! ::)

Or then there was this time when I was fairly new in town.... Las Vegas. This rather cute gal noticed me watching her as she strolled across the parking lot. She approached me and struck up a conversation.... we were talking along and she mentioned dating, if I was interested. I said yeah, as a matter of fact, I still didn't have a date for the function I was going to that night.... she said "No, I meant like a MONEY date..."

"DUH!" Could've been tattooed across my forehead at that moment....

T

TreasureTales

Hmmm, think I posted this story elsewhere in TNet, but I'll post it again just 'cause I figure if I tell it often enough I'll get over the humiliation...NAH!!!!

I was detecting in about a foot of water at a large nearby lake. There is a restaurant right on the water's edge and it was meal time. It was a hot day so many of the restaurant patrons were eating al fresco on the porch. They were watching me metal detect and I stepped backwards for a reason I can't remember now. I do remember what happened next, however. I stepped or tripped over a large algae-covered rock that was submerged in the lake waters. I tripped and fell butt first into the water, and my detector went flying into the lake about 5 feet away. The restaurant customers made all kinds of sounds...some laughed, some clapped, some gasped (the ladies did that), some whistled, some spit their food as they saw what happened. I was sitting there wondering if I should even get up or just drown. I retrieved my detector--it didn't work right for 2 weeks afterwards. I picked up my scoop and slogged back to my truck. I have not returned to that lake since then. Maybe I'll go this summer because it did produce some rings. Anyway, that's been the worse metal detecting embarrassing moment. I have many others that don't involve MDing. Life's a beach. Oh yeah, I'm not married either. Who'd a thought??!!!! LOL

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happened many many years ago, just starting and had not found alot.

Working the beach and it was a lil crowded, so i was mainly working the high tide line not as crowded. Swinging along not paying ANY attention to anyone around me(yeah i know all those kinis and me not paying attention) anyway hit a sweet sounding target, at this time i didn`t have a large beach basket. Dug it with my small wire scoop and once i dug it i moved my tector to the side resting on my hip. Really intent on what i had dug, nice lil ring put it in my pouch and it was then i noticed i had rested my coil on the ahhh lower backside of this sweet looking lil darlin. She was just laying there intently watching me with this coil resting on her butt. Think i must have turned 10 shades of red, but she was polite and said she had spoken to me a couple times but i was so engrossed i hadn`t heard her.

Turned out for the best though, she ended up with a nice lil ring as a keepsake from virginia beach. That was a fun week.

T

TreasureTales

TheSleeper said:
This happened many many years ago, just starting and had not found alot.

Working the beach and it was a lil crowded, so i was mainly working the high tide line not as crowded. Swinging along not paying ANY attention to anyone around me(yeah i know all those kinis and me not paying attention) anyway hit a sweet sounding target, at this time i didn`t have a large beach basket. Dug it with my small wire scoop and once i dug it i moved my tector to the side resting on my hip. Really intent on what i had dug, nice lil ring put it in my pouch and it was then i noticed i had rested my coil on the ahhh lower backside of this sweet looking lil darlin. She was just laying there intently watching me with this coil resting on her butt. Think i must have turned 10 shades of red, but she was polite and said she had spoken to me a couple times but i was so engrossed i hadn`t heard her.

Turned out for the best though, she ended up with a nice lil ring as a keepsake from virginia beach. That was a fun week.

Talk about Freudian slips. HAH!!! You were looking for some booty, and you found it!!!! LOL

OP
OP
T

treasurejack

gypsy,

I think I just worked it out for you? If you cut two lagre holes in the right place in that tube top I don't think it will be able to roll down like that anymore. Don't have to thank me, just doing what I can to make this workd a much better place.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got to retell this story. It's the most embarrassing incident I've ever heard. My hunting parner Frank was metal detecting at an elementary school hunting those woodchip boxes where the swings and slides are. It was on a Saturday afternoon. While detecting he had an extreme need to go to the bathroom. No bushes were available to hide in and do your business. He was getting desperate, and what made matters worse was the fact that he had to go #2. His only option was to duck into a garbage can so he could go. It was using the can, or go in your pants. He placed his metal detector near by and climbed in. His head was protruding out of the top of the trash can and still was not done when a classroom about 10 feet away from where he was had 30 to 40 adults exit and walked right by Frank squating in his trash can. :o Seems there was some kind of adult siminar going on. Needless to say Frank almost died from embarrassment!

T

TreasureTales

Sonoma County Mike said:
I've got to retell this story. It's the most embarrassing incident I've ever heard. My hunting parner Frank was metal detecting at an elementary school hunting those woodchip boxes where the swings and slides are. It was on a Saturday afternoon. While detecting he had an extreme need to go to the bathroom. No bushes were available to hide in and do your business. He was getting desperate, and what made matters worse was the fact that he had to go #2. His only option was to duck into a garbage can so he could go. It was using the can, or go in your pants. He placed his metal detector near by and climbed in. His head was protruding out of the top of the trash can and still was not done when a classroom about 10 feet away from where he was had 30 to 40 adults exit and walked right by Frank squating in his trash can. :o Seems there was some kind of adult siminar going on. Needless to say Frank almost died from embarrassment!

YIKES! That's terrible. I can't visualize myself being able to fit into a garbage can. Is your hunting partner a contortionist? LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread