Your most embarrassing moment?

James57

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Detectorpro Headhunter PI
This is a newbie thing but last summer I was fairly new to metal detecting and I was camping with my family. My daughter and I were MDing around the area, in the hills above the camp site and along the river bank. A lady in the campsite across the road asked me if I could help locate her lost earring. She was hanging towels on a line to dry and the clothes line flicked her gold earring off into the hillside by the campsite. "Sure, no problem!" I explained the discrimination in the metal detector and some of the features and what a great machine it was. I probably came across like I knew what I was talking about. My daughter and I went over and started to search the hillside. Both metal detectors beeped like crazy. I looked at the ground and I could see that whoever cleans the campsite has been shovelling the ashes from the firepit onto the hillside. This included thousands of bits of melted aluminum cans all over the place. Now that I have a few more months under my belt, I can think of some things that I could have tried but it still would have been tough or impossible with all that aluminum. If I had only checked her other earring, maybe I could have discriminated out everything but that...? Anyway, I was clueless as to what to do next. I tried some settings, put it into gold prospecting mode etc. but it just made more noise. I explained about the problem with aluminum and how it is tough to find anything in an area like that. She looked kind of skeptical. It wouldn't have been so bad if I'd kept my big mouth shut when I first went over there. Oh well, live and learn!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been embarrassed MDing yet, but my most embarrassing moment was when I first started selling Infiniti (Cars) about 12 years ago.

It was a HOT Southern California day. I was with an elderly couple who were interested in a new I30. I showed them the car, and took them out on a test drive. They were both in the front, with me in the back seat. All the windows were up, and the Air Conditioning was on.

Shortly after taking off, I was regretting my choice of Mexican Food for lunch earlier. I was holding it in as best I could. I was having the worst gas cramps imagineable. I figured that with the AC on, they wouldn't hear it, if I let out a "One Cheek Sneak" ;D ;D ;D (For those not familiar with the term, it's when you lift one butt cheek off of where you are sitting, and let out a usually very quiet toot).

Well..............let's just say it sounded like the God of Thunder hammering on the car....or maybe like someone revving up a two-stroke engine. I don't think I could have let a louder fart if I had tried. I felt the vibration in the door handle. Immediately, all conversation ceased, and they both turned around and stared at me. I can't begin to say how tiny I felt. All I could do was apologize, and say it was an accident. They rolled the windows down, and finished up the test drive.

When we got back, I told them to follow me inside to finish the deal. The wife said, "Not on THAT one!" We found a similar car, and they bought it.

Best,

Mike

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't really had anything embarrassing happen while I was out detecting. But I did have a somewhat embarrassing situation happen while I was dumpster diving. I used to hunt for aluminum cans to sell for extra cash. One evening I was at a local convenience store digging in the trash cans. Of course I was wearing old clothes for the job. I noticed that a lady had been watching me for awhile but I really didn't think much of it at the time. Appearently she must have thought that I was a homeless person and felt sorry for me. She came over to me and said " My name is Patty, take this." She handed me a $10.00 bill! I was stunned and embarrassed and told her that I couldn't take the money. But she wouldn't take "NO" for an answer. So I finally gave up and thanked her and took the money just to make her happy. I never would have believed that I looked that "down and out."

Huntin' 59er

S

stefen

gollum said:
I haven't been embarrassed MDing yet, but my most embarrassing moment was when I first started selling Infiniti (Cars) about 12 years ago.

It was a HOT Southern California day. I was with an elderly couple who were interested in a new I30. I showed them the car, and took them out on a test drive. They were both in the front, with me in the back seat. All the windows were up, and the Air Conditioning was on.

Shortly after taking off, I was regretting my choice of Mexican Food for lunch earlier. I was holding it in as best I could. I was having the worst gas cramps imagineable. I figured that with the AC on, they wouldn't hear it, if I let out a "One Cheek Sneak" ;D ;D ;D (For those not familiar with the term, it's when you lift one butt cheek off of where you are sitting, and let out a usually very quiet toot).

Well..............let's just say it sounded like the God of Thunder hammering on the car....or maybe like someone revving up a two-stroke engine. I don't think I could have let a louder fart if I had tried. I felt the vibration in the door handle. Immediately, all conversation ceased, and they both turned around and stared at me. I can't begin to say how tiny I felt. All I could do was apologize, and say it was an accident. They rolled the windows down, and finished up the test drive.

When we got back, I told them to follow me inside to finish the deal. The wife said, "Not on THAT one!" We found a similar car, and they bought it.

Best,

Mike

God. Thats so damn funny, it actually took me several tries to finish because of the tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. Between you and Gypsy...both would take a Blue Ribbon at the Fair.

Well, here goes mine.

When my Number one daughter was about 3 or 4 months old, my folks were invited over for dinner. Well, we had a few hours to spare before they were due, so I invited my wife to a congical wrestling match...all holds bared:D

Anyways, while we were in this clutch hold we heard the baby crying in another room...then we heard someone baby talking to her :o

Long story short, the folks arrived early...came into the house by the back door...heard the baby crying and went into her bedroom and then brought her into the living room and sat on the couch...

The couch, unfortunately, gives a direct and unobstructed view straight into the master bedroom...dead center of the bottom of the bed...

My wife was so embarrased that she wouldn't come out for about an hour or so.

Me, on the otherhand, had to venture into uncharted territory...red faced ;)

All I can say is that my mom didn't look up from the baby and Dad just had a smirk on his face and winked. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lesson learned...lock all of the damn doors including the pass-thru door to the garage...

Attachments

• laughting%252Dtoo%252Dhard.gif
    laughting%252Dtoo%252Dhard.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 290
  • laughting%252Dtoo%252Dhard.gif
    laughting%252Dtoo%252Dhard.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 285

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Most embarrassing moment. I'm working on my house the summer after I bought it. So... I decide to take a break and hit my own yard... just to see if anything is there. So I grab my dfx step off the patio, and first swing get a great signal... start to pinpoint it... and i cant find it...

So I start again... first swing... great signal again... can't pinpoint it. Figure it must be a fluke. Walk to the other side of the patio... take a swing... great signal... So this time i don't move a muscle. Start waving the coil very slowly over the ground... AND PINPOINT MY NICE STEEL TOE BOOTS.

thank god nobody saw me. and I KNOW nobody has done that before
steve

T

TreasureTales

spez401 said:
Most embarrassing moment. I'm working on my house the summer after I bought it. So... I decide to take a break and hit my own yard... just to see if anything is there. So I grab my dfx step off the patio, and first swing get a great signal... start to pinpoint it... and i cant find it...

So I start again... first swing... great signal again... can't pinpoint it. Figure it must be a fluke. Walk to the other side of the patio... take a swing... great signal... So this time i don't move a muscle. Start waving the coil very slowly over the ground... AND PINPOINT MY NICE STEEL TOE BOOTS.

thank god nobody saw me. and I KNOW nobody has done that before
steve
Uh, I'm nor sure this story qualifies as "most embarassing moment." If there is no one else around to see the dopey act, it isn't embarassing--although it could be considered an enlightenment. LOL Sort of like "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise?"

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
LOL. True... but I was embarrassed... and now everybody here knows the story. lol. And I stopped using the "tree falling in the forest analogy" after a client explained to me the physics of sound waves... blah blah blah. Now I use "If a man says something and a woman doesn't hear it... is he still wrong?" My wife loves that one
steve

T

TreasureTales

spez401 said:
LOL. True... but I was embarrassed... and now everybody here knows the story. lol. And I stopped using the "tree falling in the forest analogy" after a client explained to me the physics of sound waves... blah blah blah. Now I use "If a man says something and a woman doesn't hear it... is he still wrong?" My wife loves that one
steve
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread