Your opinion please

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
The following was found at an old reliable camp site presumably inhabited 1200 to 1450. It appears to have been hexagonal with a hole made near the center. It's not flint, but the stone is very hard. I've found several celts, points, and scrapers in this area. Could this be a pendant or ornamental piece? Has anybody seen such a piece? I suppose it could just be a nothing, but given the shape, it appears to be man-made. I've thrown in a couple of other photos of material found near this find.
Thanks,
Docmann

Attachments

• HexagonalArtif1.GIF
    HexagonalArtif1.GIF
    148.4 KB · Views: 419
  • punch1.GIF
    punch1.GIF
    55.3 KB · Views: 406
  • CELT2.JPG
    CELT2.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 409
  • HexagonalArtif1.GIF
    HexagonalArtif1.GIF
    148.4 KB · Views: 408
  • punch1.GIF
    punch1.GIF
    55.3 KB · Views: 399
  • CELT2.JPG
    CELT2.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 407
Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Thanks for posting. I am no expert however it ..might.. be an old gorget. I think they were used for decorative reasons. Here's a pic of some.

Attachments

• gorgets7.jpg
    gorgets7.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 406

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, no idea on the hexagonal, docmann.

Question on the side : Does anybody know the name of the material of the piece in the second picture and where it comes from ? It would be of great interest to me to find out. Thank you in advance :read2:

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Uniface, if you're asking about the second photo in my post, I believe it's Alibates flint. It's the typical color and character of the flint which is found at the Alibates Quarry near Amarillo, Texas. I've been told by "experts" that most of the flint on the southern great plains can be traced to this quarry.
But keep in mind, I am certainly no expert.
I have attached a photo of Alibates flint that I found last year which I believe is fairly representative of the flint we find out here on the Souther Great Plains.
Hope this helps.
Docamnn

Attachments

• Alibates2.GIF
    Alibates2.GIF
    235.7 KB · Views: 334

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's natural but no telling. The material might be out of the Quartermaster formation, which looks like sandrock but is about 10 times as hard.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
looks like a geofact to me. Mother nature can come up with some pretty wild and cool shapes that can sure keep us guessing though. :-\
That second pic is no imagination, very nice. 8)

HH,
BW

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
The first one is natural, a geofact. Also, that material doesn't look like Alibates. Your big chunk at the bottom looks more like Niobrara Jasper. I take it you're from western Oklahoma, you'll find it in abundance there, KS, CO, NE, etc. Alot of the material called Alibates out there will actually be "Day Creek" Chert. Day Creek can be much more translucent and ranges from a solid whiteish / blue to the mottled red & white appearance of Tx Alibates. Pigeon Blood (and other) agates are also confused with Alibates.

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Thanks Bravo for the comments. You're right about the "fascinomas", and of course, if you look at something long enough it can be just about anything. Neanderthal, you seem to know your rocks, so I'd like your opinion on a couple of others if you've got the time. These were found in a similar location believed to be a Wichita People camp. The first photo doesn't do the piece justice. It's really a pretty blue with some white and light brown. It seems to fit the "Day Creek" description you used. The second is a small "red" point which seems to be a material I've not seen a lot of in my immediate area. It's a deep red/ maroon and has the feel of something "soft". The third one is a speckled material that is translucent and a bit unique to me, and finally, the fourth is one that typically gets called Alibates Flint, at least by the locals. I've thrown it in to see if this fits your opinion of Alibates Most of the scrapers and points in this immediate area seem to resemble this.
Don't want to tire you out, but I'd like to have a learned opinion.
Thanks for your comments,
Docmann

Attachments

• BirdPt Red.GIF
    BirdPt Red.GIF
    195.7 KB · Views: 298
  • Wichita Point 1.GIF
    Wichita Point 1.GIF
    201.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Wichita Point 1.GIF
    Wichita Point 1.GIF
    201.3 KB · Views: 282
  • BirdPt Red.GIF
    BirdPt Red.GIF
    195.7 KB · Views: 292
  • Brown.GIF
    Brown.GIF
    70.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Brown2.JPG
    Brown2.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 272

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Doc, The first one looks like it could be either Day Creek Chert or Frisco (Frisco is also usually semi-translucent, can be more yellow - it's VERY popular for Calf Creek Complex around Ada area, but is found all over the state). Day creek can have red in it and look very similar to Alibates, etc. I honestly can't tell a whole awful lot from the second piece from the pic - does it have any other coloration besides red? Tecovas will occur sparingly in your area, usually it will have mottled yellow coloration with it and is high quality jasper. Ogalala can also be red (or grey, white, etc), but it's a quartzite type material. These all are common out in western Oklahoma, especially on Washita focus sites. I have no idea what the speckled material is - sorry. The last piece does indeed look like Alibates!

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Neanderthal, Thanks for the information. My guess is that you've had some formal training in the area of archeology/ anthropology/ geology. Or, perhaps your self-taught and very well-read. Nonetheless, I appreciate your opinions. I've attached a better photo of the small red point (if you get a chance to have a look). It seems to be a material that's unique, at least relative to what I've found over the years in my immediate area. Indeed, I spend most of my time surface hunting in the western Oklahoma area. Occasionally, I'll venture up near the Antelope Hills near the 100th Meridian, but that area is still a bit wild, and a long drive. For the most part, I stay in the central part of western Oklahoma. Again, thanks for your help.
Docmann

Attachments

• RedPoint1b.GIF
    RedPoint1b.GIF
    74.3 KB · Views: 197

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread