SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the general discussion board for a couple of threads on the show.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they act like fools and Boom Baby Savage is even worse.

If you check there are several older threads regarding this.

HH

Pete

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As stated on older threads, their vocabulary is silly and they act silly. I would like to hear more about their equipment and who gets them access to the sites. I do not like the camera angle where the lens is on the detector coil and looking up at them. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 3. I think it misleads people into thinking they can go out and have the same "easy" success.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a TV show..........Period. A lot of it is staged and acted as it is for entertainment and not training except what not to do.

OP
OP
recondigger

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes our hobby look bad :icon_scratch:

Daugela

Jul 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
White MTX, VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What bothers me MOST about the show and it shouldn't, are the places they're allowed access. I'm sure you have way more pull on getting consent to search areas when your producing company contacts the owners.

I live in AZ and I have to admit, I was SUPER jealous to hear that next week they'll be detecting in Tombstone! That place would have so many cool finds.

But from my understanding, most public places around Tombstone are certainly off limits to detecting unless you're on private property.

I say more power to them. Who wouldn't want to be in their position?

Utduder

Oct 12, 2012
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree more power to them . Lets face it they have to make it interesting to mainstream. Hate to say but giving tech info on a piece of metal detecting equipment ain't gonna get ratings . I watch and am plenty entertained.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just do a forum search, there have only been a couple dozen threads on this so far this year.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Very entertaining, my kids actually like it, which is a plus. Good thing those guys dig mostly junk though, just enough cool finds to keep it interesting, and keep the strike-it-rich crowd at bay.

Ky Red

Feb 27, 2013
It's gets my daughters attention. She goes with me and gets bored digging pull tabs. They act kind of goofy but it gets the kids watching. If that gets kids out from in front of all those computerized gadgets, than so be it. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
recondigger

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's gets my daughters attention. She goes with me and gets bored digging pull tabs. They act kind of goofy but it gets the kids watching. If that gets kids out from in front of all those computerized gadgets, than so be it. Just my opinion.

I do agree with you my son likes it to

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very entertaining, my kids actually like it, which is a plus. Good thing those guys dig mostly junk though, just enough cool finds to keep it interesting, and keep the strike-it-rich crowd at bay.

I do like the fact that their estimated values of finds is very reasonable.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
An OK show. I'm sure the owners get to keep the "finds" and the two guys are on salary from the network, who also probably pay the property owners for permission. Good for tourism, entertainment and much better than Scared Straight, Honey Boo Boo or Cake Boss, but nowhere near as good as Phred...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The two guys in the show look like they've been hunting together for many years, and
both are high-energy guys. Still, their level of excitement at finding something "round"
as a bit off-the-charts, and the ridiculous lingo makes me wanna
green.gif

Hunted with a partner back in the 90's and we were high energy too, and it wasn't unusual
for one of us to holler "SILVER!"...but we didn't climb trees or go batty over it. Lots of elation,
sure, but running around like a 5yo that got into the Twinkies is a bit much.

It's sure to be good for detector sales (especially the AT Pro), and those guys also own a detector
store that just happens to sell Garrett. They can't lose on the deal, and I bet their sales have
skyrocketed since the show opened. How good it is for the metal detecting hobby is something else.
If now folks go out all over and leave open holes and a mess, then we're going to get a real bad rap,
real fast.

I do watch the show regularly, and try to ignore all the hype and BS to see their finds, many of which are
quite good.

Perhaps the Mod's might consider adding a few of their more irritating words to the "no-no list?
twocents-1.gif

Dizz

Coureur de Bios

Feb 5, 2013
NW Lower Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
DizzyDigger said:
The two guys in the show look like they've been hunting together for many years, and
both are high-energy guys. Still, their level of excitement at finding something "round"
as a bit off-the-charts, and the ridiculous lingo makes me wanna .

Hunted with a partner back in the 90's and we were high energy too, and it wasn't unusual
for one of us to holler "SILVER!"...but we didn't climb trees or go batty over it. Lots of elation,
sure, but running around like a 5yo that got into the Twinkies is a bit much.

It's sure to be good for detector sales (especially the AT Pro), and those guys also own a detector
store that just happens to sell Garrett. They can't lose on the deal, and I bet their sales have
skyrocketed since the show opened. How good it is for the metal detecting hobby is something else.
If now folks go out all over and leave open holes and a mess, then we're going to get a real bad rap,
real fast.

I do watch the show regularly, and try to ignore all the hype and BS to see their finds, many of which are
quite good.

Perhaps the Mod's might consider adding a few of their more irritating words to the "no-no list?

Dizz

Have to admit, in spite of, or maybe because of, its goofiness in terms and actions, it's on my must watch list on Tuesday. It does pertain to metal detecting, a topic more interesting to many of us than most of the crud for which the cable company requires us to pay. Everyone likes a surprise and you never what "awesome" find might be exhumed from a "slammin'" signal. I must assume some of the estimated values must be enhanced by their historical significance. Might be wrong but, if memory serves me right, a grungy 30-06 casing from Blair Mtn. was listed at something like $12.00 and rusty square nails from another site came in at $3.00. Three of those rifle cases could buy me a full box of loaded ones. Also, the 'beaver' trap used by the last of the mountainmen in the mid-19th century was a modern double coil spring fox or coyote trap; a bit too recent and a bit too light for beaver.
Please don't get me wrong, I don't watch the show just to be critical. It's just that I find some of those things to be curious or unbelievable. Really do find the show interesting.

OP
OP
recondigger

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to admit, in spite of, or maybe because of, its goofiness in terms and actions, it's on my must watch list on Tuesday. It does pertain to metal detecting, a topic more interesting to many of us than most of the crud for which the cable company requires us to pay. Everyone likes a surprise and you never what "awesome" find might be exhumed from a "slammin'" signal. I must assume some of the estimated values must be enhanced by their historical significance. Might be wrong but, if memory serves me right, a grungy 30-06 casing from Blair Mtn. was listed at something like $12.00 and rusty square nails from another site came in at $3.00. Three of those rifle cases could buy me a full box of loaded ones. Also, the 'beaver' trap used by the last of the mountainmen in the mid-19th century was a modern double coil spring fox or coyote trap; a bit too recent and a bit too light for beaver.
Please don't get me wrong, I don't watch the show just to be critical. It's just that I find some of those things to be curious or unbelievable. Really do find the show interesting.

Lol your right. It was a #2 victor foot hold trap

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I didn't care for the show the first time I saw it. However, it does promote the hobby and it turns out that my wife likes to watch it. That's cool! She doesn't go metal detecting with me so I think it helps her to share in the experience. You are correct about the realistic finds those guys get. No thousand dollar rings every week just to keep people watching. It could be better, but I'll give it a 7 out of 10 because it is something I am interested in that my wife will watch. H Digs :thumbsup:

davidfl

Jun 23, 2011
florida
Detector(s) used
cz7apro cz20 cz21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these treads have been here since the show came out. i told myself i wouldnt make a comment, but i cant resist. i like the show, sure its goofy, but its tv and metal detecting. the guys are really goofy, but i find myself using their over the top terminology. the truth is its mding and funny. the other show is the one that worries me. i will recover the items and split the profits with u, what rubbish. i have knocked on a lot of doors, people are a little scared of being taken advantage of, them thinking we recover thousands of dollars worth out of average yards or are gonna bring in backhoes. thats not near reality. but thats another show. bottom line, i like diggers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread