your thoughts

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, that's always a personal decision. I've had 2 of my finds restored, by a local who doesn't do that anymore, and they look good, but to me those 2 were special cases. If your point shows an impact fracture to the tip, and I thought I noticed that, but I might be wrong, then I would not restore, as an impact fracture tells a story. Whatever you decide, you can always have a go at virtual restoration first:

Creekside Artifacts: Jim Fisher's Artifact Collecting & Flintknapping Web Site

It's a 3 page piece with lots of examples of points virtually restored.

Last edited:

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
When I first started collecting I had a few nicer finds restored, they turned out pretty nice. As I've now been doing this a long time, I feel differently about restoration. It's still a broken piece, no changing that. It is not easily un-restored and you risk breaking it further by doing so. Usually, if done well, there is also paint or material used in restoration that is blended into the actual piece making things difficult.

To me, these days, a broken find of that stature tells more a story then my having to explain to whoever is looking that it's not whole but has been recreated etc....

I've read also that restoration can actually devalue the piece.

All of the above represents ONLY my .02 cents, which generally ain't worth much!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep your original as is, and have a duplicate made as it might have appeared before it broke. Just imagine it in a display frame showing, ''what was, and what is''.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would prolly get it restored.

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
I don't know trev but I don't think I would do it. Ivehad the same idea with some of my points but felt like I wouldn't look at the point the same after I had it done. I guess it boils down to personal choice.

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
I think Olddigger's idea about getting a duplicate made as a "woulda been" and framing them side by side is pretty cool, especially for a possible Clovis.

Bsit is right, you never look at it the same once restored.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I have a small clovis that has a small portion of the point crushed from, my guess, impact. I wonder what the hunter struck, rock or his game.

I never thought to have it or any other artifact restored. I look at it as history and don't tamper with history.

As mentioned above, do a before and after.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
who here thinks I should or I shouldn't get the Clovis point I found restored.
I have mixed feelings about restoration. and I need some guidance, lol

How long is the missing piece, was the missing piece symmetrical, did it have a pointed tip or a more rounded tip?

No one knows so you leave it up to the imagination of the restorer and you can bet it will be restored so it pleases
the eye. Collecting artifacts is more than just having another perfectly symetrical point to add to your collection.

Generally speaking, I much prefer to view collections of projectile points/knives without fabricated missing parts.

11KBP

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the before/after idea first mentioned by old digger, and seconded by others is probably your best bet. You could have a good cast made, and then restore the cast.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I would personally deal with the heart break. I think restoration takes the value away from these pieces. By value, I'm not necessarily talking monetary value either. The break to your piece may show some relevant detail to history, that only an archeologist could see. That is a long shot, but possible. Just me bro. It's yours, and you should do what makes a smile pop up on your face. Nice find!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been considering having a half of a banner stone that I found restored. Only because it sits in a box and not in a display case. Obviously a lot of different opinions on the subject. It's your point and I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it. If it were mine, I'd have it restored.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would say old digger is pretty wise.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I went on a long winding discussion on this a while back. My two cents is I wouldn't have it restored. It's a great find as it is, restoring adds nothing in my opinion and takes away from what it is. Of course if you want to 'restore' it, though I like 11KBP's term better, of course you should.

Once again, great find man.

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would vote for leaving it as you found it. What you discovered was awesome and who knows? maybe you will find the rest later?
It tells a story as it is, its your story and its awesome the way it is....

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
My thought is not to. Doing that is the opposite of "finding" the perfect piece. Maybe have it cast and then add a tip to that for reference.

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the cast idea ! Might try it myself, thanks guys

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Digger is a genius! Now I would like to see maybe a drawing of what it would of looked like with the one you found beside it on the site. That is if you draw cause I know I cant. I think that would look good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread