Gen 5 gets their dig on!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
My two boys represent the fifth generation of artifact diggers in my family. We had our first family dig of 2013 this past weekend in a rock shelter on our private property. My grandfather and father dug in this shelter back in the 1980's when I was in my teens. I went with them but I wasn't allowed to dig....lol. You can see the evidence of the past digging, especially in the photo that shows the stacked rocks on the left side. I had no desire to dig here because I was certain that my grandfather had cleaned it out. I planned on taking the boys to another shelter down the cliff line but they insisted that we dig here first....lol. Turns out that they made a good decision! My Grandfather was not a very good digger......

Sorry about the poor artifact imaging....lost my flash...

Attachments

• DSCF2651.JPG
    DSCF2651.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF2653.JPG
    DSCF2653.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF2654.JPG
    DSCF2654.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF2659.JPG
    DSCF2659.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF2663.JPG
    DSCF2663.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 0
OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
In the first photo, my youngest pulls a knife out of his sifter before he gives it the first shake...lol.

In photo two, my boys are sitting on a sift pile from the 1980's....pulling out one scraper and one broken point.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well how cool is that. I bet that your grandfather did not keep many of the tools. When I first started we chunked what we called blunts and knifes all the time. We did not know better. If it was not an arrow head it stayed. I bet and hope you guys find a lot. Why the respirator? Is it the soil that air borne from the sifter?

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on. nice finds...

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Well how cool is that. I bet that your grandfather did not keep many of the tools. When I first started we chunked what we called blunts and knifes all the time. We did not know better. If it was not an arrow head it stayed. I bet and hope you guys find a lot. Why the respirator? Is it the soil that air borne from the sifter?

My Grandfather was a flint hound, he kept everything which is why the finds come as a surprise. I have redug two of his shelters and he never seems to have dug very deep. He must have been content with the Woodland artifacts or perhaps didn't think Archaic natives once occupied the shelters? He sure made it alot easier to get the older material...lol.

We use the respirators for exactly what you mention, to keep from breathing too much of the airborne dust. On windless days, we use goggles too. After the first two inches or so are moved out, the dirt is damp/moist and the gear comes off. We call that "free digging"...lol.

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i've said it before, unless you do it yourself, be thorough! Nice finds and theres likely more...

Last edited:

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job, nice finds and good to see folks getting out....Thanks for the pics!!!!!!!!!!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see your kids enjoy it. Mine doesnt care about it at all. You guys got some good ones tell your kids I said congrats and they did good.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds 1320, like how you got them all out there!!!! That is awesome man. Must have been a great time!!...........................GTP(Chris)

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jamie that is so awesome!!!! Might have to move down there to get pixie digging,lol. She loves to dig dig dig. Hopefully one day pixie could give the boys a hand, I will just watch cause those are your boys points in there and they should keep them all ;). Awesome awesome awesome

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Jamie that is so awesome!!!! Might have to move down there to get pixie digging,lol. She loves to dig dig dig. Hopefully one day pixie could give the boys a hand, I will just watch cause those are your boys points in there and they should keep them all ;). Awesome awesome awesome

That's funny T! Clay wanted to know if I would send Colton's arrowhead to Pixie...lol! My boys would go goo-goo if you brought her down, I wish you would, they would all have a blast. This one is easy to get to and it's dry for the most part....no big trees to move either....LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread