Youre not going to believe this one :)

F

freightgod

You're not going to believe this one :)

Hello all, this is my first post ever....needs a little introduction.

My family and I have been talking about getting started in detecting for a while now. I recently lost my job so have had some time on my hands. We decided to take the plunge and purchase a good beginner's model, a Tracker IV. After watching ebay auctions for a while I decided to purchase one new from Dick's Sporting Goods online for $130 including shipping. We were all very excited about it's arrival which was due by UPS today. SO ANYWAY...

I got up from bed a little late today and the kids (homeschooled, not playing hookey) were tripping over each other to tell me that UPS had delivered our new metal detector. Wiping the sleep from my eyes I turned the corner and saw a HUGE box sitting there. So much for light and easy to handle, I thought!

So here is a picture of my very first detecting find and probably the most valuable I'll ever have. I never even had the chance to put batteries in the thing! What a great detector this is, it finds multiples of itself automatically!!!!

I hope you've all enjoyed this story, and hopefully it's a harbinger of good things to come. So far we've found two bottle caps in the backyard, but we're headed to the beach this afternoon!

By the way, I have notified Dick's of the error and they are supposedly emailing me a UPS return label this afternoon, so I won't be keeping this bonanza. Hopefully they got my email address wrong :o

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,204
Upvote 0

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: You're not going to believe this one :)

If I consult the angel on my left shoulder: By all means get return labels and return them promptly.

If I consult the devil on my right shoulder: SELL THEM PUPPIES!! And upgrade to a WHITES!!!!

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

You got enough for the whole family!!LOL. Very honest of you to make the call, what comes around goes around. Good luck with your new hobby,HH.

kenb

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama

What a fantastic way to start a new hobby with an unusual surprise.May your finds also be multiple! Welcome to the hobby!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good show...very honest of you! Were Dicks even aware of the loss of inventory?

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA

Way to go! I mean to notify Dick's. I always believe in returning a mistake to a vendor. There people too.

I also believe in good karma.

Recently i found my first gold ring. A 18.1 gram boys class ring. For the heck of it i tried to find the owner and DID. So i did return it. He's happy and so am I.

Moral I sure you'll find much more in the ground without the guilt.

Great Job

Tom/the gemologist.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Good going! You're honest so you'll always end up winning. Besides, had you just kept those machines guess what that would of said to the kids? You got it. You're a wise man.

You're going to find something really great very soon.

Best,

Badger

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lol thats the funniest thing i have ever seen!!! thats a great start to metal detecting kudos for being honest!! i bet you have some great finds because of that..hehe

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Something like that really makes a statement about the kind of people we got on this forum and in this hobby. My hats off to you and I hope you find something awesome! HH ;D

rednek

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! Talk about a packing error, huh?

You did the right thing, your fortune will return to you in other ways!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With all the honest people on this site there must only be one thief out there taking everything. ;D Good job and good luck. Welcome
(good thing you didn't order a refrigerator)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's an awesome first post! I commend your honesty, you will be rewarded sometime for it. I received permission to detect a farm field while the farmer was plowing it and found a huge like new dowel pin right away. Had to run across the field to catch the farmer and asked if it was his, he said yes and was very happy to have it back, he also remembered losing it and gave me permission to detect all his fields. About 30 minutes later I found a 1675 2/3 German Thaler coin, silver dollar in size. I thought that was great but went on to find my oldest German coin of 1320ish, a silver coin from 1495 and a few more 1600s coins plus lots of relics. Good karma for sure! Lots of trash is normal, usually, but, if you don't dig those bottle caps and pulltabs, you probably won't find gold and silver rings. HH and good luck with your new hobby, Mike

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Welcome to the forum and the hobby. Good call on calling them back. They would have figured it out, perhaps they would have called you. They probably couldn't do much else, however the packer could be packing his bags for a new job and putting family in stress.

Good call.

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

wow, freight god, that is one heck of a first find :o. You win the good samaritan award!!

May kharma dig with you!!

OP
OP
F

freightgod

Well thanks for all your replies...Dick's had no idea what they had done, I'm sure some underpaid warehouse clerk just figured each case contained 1 item and off it went with the packing slip. I've worked in the warehousing buisiness for years and I'm sure nobody will know what happened until inventory time comes around. Of course that doesn't change what's right...and who knows, maybe somebody gets to keep his job because of a simple phone call.

Anyway, an afternoon at the local rec park turned up 3 (newish) dimes, a penny and a piece of barbed wire, so as you can see, my reward is coming in installments already! The kids are having a blast and we can't wait to get to the beach tomorrow if the wind dies down a little.

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2

...wonders what we all would have done if it was a box full of XLT's........ ::)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

that is a great first post! good for you, it speaks volumes for your character. now get out there and make some great finds for your 2nd post! ;)

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter

I wish my tax refund would come back like that. I would call the IRS right away. ::) So which case did you chose? I hope you find a million.
Welcome to the forum.
HH
Dale

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hahaha! Too funny! :D

Hey, that could be a good omen for your future detecting career, y'know... I'll wager that it won't be the last time you get more than you were expecting!

Glad you're doin' the right (honest) thing, but if they make it at all difficult for you, t'heck with 'em. There's a new Bounty Hunter dealer in town! LOL

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

WOW! Lol. Amzing metal detectors! Youve already made a proffit!

-CC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread