Youtube channels recommendation

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I'm having a hard time tryina choose my first metal detector, and I'm aware that every detector is suitable for a specific environment regardless of what reviews sometimes tend to say otherwise. there's no such thing as a real ALL Terrain, i believe it's just marketing. Now to make this short, I'd like some honest replies about channels on YouTube, that you could recommend me, who are not "sold out" so to speak to any of the metal detecting industries, and do provide real life experience and feedbacks on MD machines. I've watched at least a couple hundreds of videos over the past 3 weeks and everytime it gets more confusing to me seeing what a product testing review is really about without subtly adding a bias touch toward one product vs another. Any thoughts/recommendation on that matter plz ? P.S: with all do respect also to the many available channels, i personally don't believe in air tests reviews, that's just a gimmick, ground conditions, coils used, settings, mineralisation, expertise and knowledge of the machine your working with plays a major role.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i see..... that's a good point, so we typically speaking about the long Anderson shaft ? anything else available?
BTW, just a news info from Minelab,

Effective 9/2017, Minelab will be inaugurating service centers in Uruacu, Brazil and Monterrey, Mexico.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I have and use both the Anderson metal shaft and the Plugger carbon fiber shaft. Both work great, but, the carbon fiber is lighter and easier to adjust.

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, you're right on point with your logic here. I have no doubt all machines have their particular pros and cons and depends mainly also on how ones use them and do proper care and maintenance. I'm trying to really consider all points of views here, experience from others, and also my personal situation. As i said, the price here is not the main thing I'm looking for quality, good resale value, if i ever reconsider selling it back, mmmm making sure there's after market pieces to fix and maintain it when needed to. But as a real beginner with absolutely no ears experience in the field, I'd say i prefer VLF tech to start with, I'm afraid at my level PI is just gonna wear me out and get discouraged from digging like a fool for God knows how long and having my moral down. I'm trying to avoid that for the mean time. I realize more and more than i like an lcd display to help me out getting used to all of this, and alerting me if even a 70% accuracy rate of hitting a good target. I've read a lot so far about frequencies, coils, metal compositions, also many products user guides and saw what each and every type of technology and bit of softwares has to offer. Now for the typical experienced folks my point may seem absolutely useless, but I'm falling for the GPS built in features. specially the minelab ctx3030. it offers FSB, new beach mode algorithm for salt water/mineralisation, seems like a well balanced machine even with the supposedly heavy weight. backlight lcd, wireless headphones (less of a risk of bending connections). Now specifically why i choose GPS, is the ability to go to the beach, make a tracking hunt with waypoints and hits, and know exactly where i finished for the day. By and by, when i have like 5-10-15 maps saved and synched with my pc, i can start making layovers of all these maps next to each others on a big scale and study the patterns (hitpoints) of each and every specific area. I believe this feature will tremendously help my studies as i learn. Plus i like to use this in conjunction with a georeferencer. I have let's say maps from any area, city, country. what i do is, i layover maps from the oldest to the newest, in my case (area) around 1550AD till today, i can see how the maps changed over time and points of high interest and transfer these coordinates from my pc to the CTX3030, i can give my trip coordinates to the machine, and when i get near this area by car or walking, i can simply use the MD to take me to this waypoint, even if the physical area today looks completely different. Having the ability to use OTG on my smartphone takes the burden of having a laptop on the field, whereas for example the ctx3030 can save screenshots, knowing that the machine have limited memory, specially if i daily use the gps tracking feature, i can sync all up on my smartphone while on the go. I haven't yet seen what OS/Language the machine uses, but I'm pretty sure i can install the pc software unto my smartphone, either by emulation or any other mean, maybe cloud synching or ftp, scripts etc.., i will see then. So basically I'm gonna miss a lot of hits anyways either by misconfiguration and/or simply the hardware i have on, coils etc... for me it feels like hacking, 95% of the work is research, the rest falls into place. Having even the slightest advantage over zones and terrain recognition is what's gonna make a big difference. I'm just trying to convince myself as such, not to get discouraged sweeping the whole Pacific ocean :D i will if i have to, but i need to know where to start, and as i said earlier, those map studies really help, i can see old paths that doesn't exist today, i noticed the water line has also moved a bit, islands that disappeared, war maps, old ships marine ports, villages that extinguished, etc..... I'm not expecting to even dig a 2 feet whole with this unit, but it's a wild guess on what's on the surface maybe, and keeping track of any hurricane, soil erosion, u know big waves that stir things up. i have no idea how ctx works on land, but i will primarily use it for beach/shallow water, if i make some money, I'll get a land machine.
So far i don't know of any other fbs machine that gives me gps feature. i know that I'm not gonna go out there and deep dive on a wreck or anything like that, I'll stick with a 10 feet ability for now and snorkel. If i had a dive center nearby i have all my gear, I would consider it (need to fill air tanks), but there's none in a 200 km radius. Ohhh and i also don't have a car for now, so I can't handle too much equipment. just a light backpack. Some write daily diaries and reviews, I'll have all of that digitally right in front of my eyes, even if i travel and come back to an old area later on. that's my way of doing things, i prefer that coz I don't wanna spend my time on my smartphone doing everything manually. (Side note: IF any minelab member is reading this, i highly recommend you keep GPS feature on your list of continuous consideration, for the "Research and development team").

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allow me to point something out that is often missed when discussing machines. As everyone knows I am a big modified Excal fan and with good reason. However, with that said, there have been times when I could of had a much easier time of it with a different machine. The problem is that there isn't "a perfect machine for all situations out there." The bottom line in all of this is that regardless what machine you select none of them can find the goodies if those goodies aren't there or if they aren't within our reach, once they are there, however, then there are going to be different makes of machines capable of finding them. So the machine aspect is but a very-very small part of it. Just putting this out there as to me this is the most important factor of them all, the machine just being the tool of choice.

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allow me to point something out that is often missed when discussing machines. As everyone knows I am a big modified Excal fan and with good reason. However, with that said, there have been times when I could of had a much easier time of it with a different machine. The problem is that there isn't "a perfect machine for all situations out there." The bottom line in all of this is that regardless what machine you select none of them can find the goodies if those goodies aren't there or if they aren't within our reach, once they are there, however, then there are going to be different makes of machines capable of finding them. So the machine aspect is but a very-very small part of it. Just putting this out there as to me this is the most important factor of them all, the machine just being the tool of choice.
100%, it takes time, dedication and a lot ot $$$$$ to make a decent collection, to cover all type of environment.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX is an excellent land machine too. That's the nice thing about it, it doesn't everything well except nugget hunting and deep diving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread