Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The title was the hook, just like on youtube... here goes... After a recent thread with people talking about how Youtube is hurting the hobby giving a skewed view of CRHing I decided to do a quick search to see how many views various videos have.
I have noticed that those from people like "digginDave" and "halfdolla..." have 10's of thousands of views. They make people think it is a silver mine and don't teach etiquette but highlight greed.
Then I did a search on "coin roll hunting skunks" there are videos that show the real side of CRHing, lots of skunks. Do they get thousands of views? NO most have 100-300 views in 2-3 YEARS!

People don't want to watch the real story, they want avarice and greed, They then go out and order 10 boxes, get skunked and take them back to the same bank and worse...

Myself, yes I look for silver and get excited when I find it but I am also working on a nickel, dime and Kennedy half collection(s) I look for proofs to add and on the dimes for the silver Roosies from 1946 to 1964, have all the clad on dimes and halves except a 2013P Kennedy and a 2009D Roosie

Upvote 0

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep my point exactly.

I remember a clown here (his name was mx something I don't remember) outed me in a thread over the summer staunchly defending the YouTubers and saying I was being a jerk because I'm vehemently against the way people run their mouths about the hobby. Your research and my research proves that this is fact; YouTubers and those that are publicizing the hobby to everybody and making it look like one can get rich quick, have trashed the hobby.

The demographic of people posting such videos typically tend to be narcissistic attention seekers desiring views, and also possess immemse GREED for finds.

List of all the YouTubers I'm aware of:

Couch collectibles: This guy is King of misinformation on YouTube, not just for CRH but Numismatics in general. The guy literally takes photos of rare coins and errors he has never owned or even seen in person off of Google, Heritage, and other sites, and then proceeds to compile a video with the photos and explains to other equally uneducated viewers which coins are "WORTH MONEY"! He also has a racket where he does live streams of himself roll hunting and, get this, sells groups of his rolls to the viewers, so if he finds a Silver in them, he sends it to them. I have outed him in comments only to be defended by his staunch suck...er, I mean followers. In a way, he takes advantage of people who have little Numismatic knowledge, which, on YouTube, there are many. Bottom line is, he may be able to talk a good game and throw together a fancy video, but would be completely laughed at by many of my serious Numismatic peers.

HalfDolla'MakeYaHolla: This guy is the WORST at CRH videos, and I venture he likely fakes some of his finds for more attention. He also does the live stream roll selling racket with his viewers.

QuinsCoins

TreasureTown

RobFindsTreasure

SilverSearcher

JD'svarietychannel

Stack attack

DigginDave

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other hobbies are also being damaged by the attention-seeking you-tubers and charlatans. About a decade ago, an individual promoted himself in the Chesapeake Bay area as someone who had discovered a new secret way to fish for striped bass - light tackle surface fishing for breaking stripers in the fall from small fast center console boats. At first, he had pictures and videos and print and online articles showing his success. Then as his name became known, he started to give seminars - and people paid to attend. Then he started to charge fishermen on small charters to learn these "new" techniques.

What's wrong with this picture? I had been doing this "new" fishing method for well over 30 years, quietly and without competition. The only thing new was this expert promotion. There was no mystery in it. Our stripers come from two sources in the fall: the large fish move into the Bay from the ocean and mostly keep to deeper water as they slowly make their way to their spawning grounds by early spring. Those fish are traditionally fished by trolling at relatively slow speeds - a method I despise because it is boring, removes large spawning fish from the population, and those fish contain the most contaminants. The other fish are much smaller (immature) and descend from the rivers toward the main Bay and eventually to the ocean but gather at the river mouths to fatten up on baitfish like anchovies, river herring, and menhaden that are also more dense at the river mouths. The baitfish are close to the surface and accessible to birds and the smaller stripers. As more people followed this self-appointed expert, I saw more and more idiotic activity - like running their boats right through the schools of fish, and rude behavior on the water that reduced my enjoyment. I also found more dead fish when I walked the shore when metal detecting or hunting fossils.

I gave up this fishing two years ago not because of the competition. (Some appeared to learn, maybe from my example on the water - wishful thinking, to use the wind to quietly drift into the schools rather than run right through them) I sold my boat, the best I ever owned, this spring, due to the increased pollution from a new fracked gas refinery, liquefaction plant and export facility.

My point is that it is easy for the unscrupulous to harm our hobbies and the charlatans and attention-seekers are not exclusive to CRH. And also that sometimes the biggest enemy of all is the one we had not anticipated.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Seminars for fishing??? I didn't even know that was a thing! That sucks Meg. :(

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
"Forgive me father for I have sinned...." I have to admit I have made "how to" youtube videos. several about how to separate gold from dirt in the backyard and several about BBQ, but I don't say you can even make money with them, they are simply how to.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a CRH'er but I absolutely agree. JD is a putz and a clickbater.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ben,
Those were pretty good you-tube videos as far as you-tube goes. The rib or wing-o-lator was mesmerizing. I could just stand there with a beer on a nice day and watch that...

I use you-tube mostly to help see automotive and tractor repairs but I am amazed at the mistakes I find - some are dangerous. Viewer beware!

I nearly always miss the best opportunities to video something. As I was watching your vids, my little tuxedo cat repeatedly pounced on a camel cricket, leapt high in the air above it, twisted herself around in the air, come down dancing and whacked that cricket all over the basement. And it occurred to me, too late, that I was missing another vid-worthy moment. Luckily, my wife has better judgement with vids of our new grandson.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as Greg Gutfeld would say---"animals are great" :laughing9:

could also watch Kat Timph & Audrey Puente videos until Armageddon :love4::love5:

never have, never will, ---- watch a CRH scammer :angry4:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread