Yuma Area

OP
OP
H

Harpman

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2008
You guys will have me so loaded down with weapons that I won't be able to carry my metal detector. :icon_scratch:

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
That's Not Necessary :thumbsup:
Just carry BIG!!! :tongue3:
If you'll check my picture, you'll see that I carry a....
Stub Nose .44 Mag!
(A Charter Arms 19 oz , 5 shot revolver)
That 240gr JHP! (bullet) traveling @ 1200fps !
Will stop any "Rambo" DEAD! in his tracks! :tard:

FYI...
Arizona " is an "Open Carry" State!
That means,
As long as the weapon is NOT CONCEALED
You can LEGALLY carry it ANYWHERE! ANYTIME!

OP
OP
H

Harpman

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2008
Let me see if I have this right. I sold my handguns to buy a metal detector. Now you tell me I need a handgun to go metal detecting!! What am I protecting myself from? :-\

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Illegals :) Yuma is right on the border and we've got everyone in Mexico trying to get into the US right now, not to mention all the drug runners (who carry fully auto weapons). They will shoot you and they won't think twice about it. Serious, this isn't a joke. If your gonna be traipsing around the desert down there carry a side arm. .44 mag is a great idea, or a .45.

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007
Buying scalps!!!!!! C'mon, next thing you know, you'll be buying skin to make lampshades!!! Get human! Harpman if you call the Visitors Bureau in Yuma, they can but you in contact with organizations set up for Snowbird Hobbies. Good luck, TD

OP
OP
H

Harpman

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2008
Thanks TD.....That is a good Suggestion. I will do my research, before I fo into any questionable area. ... chuck

AUinAZ

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2008
Yea....I like the F N 57, with a factory 20 round mag plus one in the pipe, with 2 twenty mag back ups. Really light weight, perfect for the az out back. :thumbsup:...... common guys lets not scare him back to his northern state........BUT there is some truth to their warnings!
Have a blast swinging the md and good luck.....remember lock and load, ready to rock....Be safe.

T

tulecanyon

situational awareness is all one needs on the border.
and a water supply.
go see the old board road out in the dunes west of yuma. ask any local.

OP
OP
H

Harpman

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2008
Thanks....We will be out in the Yuma area around the first of Nov..........I hope to team up with some locals, so I don't do something stupid.

chuck

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
"Situational Awareness"
IS NOT! :o
All that One needs along the US Border!
(reread "reply # 7, above )
Take it from a person who actually "Lives" (camps) along the border
for months at a time
Any & Everyone should know "The Situation" !
AND!
BE PREPARED ! :o
But!
That, does not help when, "4-6", walk into or around you camp! ::)
That's why I never go with out, one of my "Dogs" along ! :thumbsup:
AND!
Plenty of "fire power" !

T

tulecanyon

hey cpt....so do i. and i do not carry a firearm.
paranoia and firearms are not a good thing.

T

tulecanyon

i should have added i lived in bisbee, douglas, serria vista, and most points between at some time over the past 50 years, and i rarely carrry a weapon...i do admit that jaguar made me wish i had a weapon..but that the truth is it would not have helped.

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
I was down around Arivaca when I was told by a Game Warden that I was really UNDER ARMED because i only had a auto 22.pistol. T hat was about 15 years ago, two weeks later the mexs and border patrol had it out with fullautos way or out of my league imoved my gold recovery on down the road.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
Tule Canyon
I, too! lived in Douglas and Sierra Vista
When (what yrs) were you down there?
AND!
Actually,
The Best Animal Deterent, short of a charging Elephant , would be "Bear Spray"! :thumbsup:
:tongue3: A Proven Defense! :tard:

T

tulecanyon

i like bear spray. effective.
i was in calif last year, woke up to some tweeker(meth user) attempting to break in the truck, not good.
i told him to go away." open the door or i'm gonna kill you." ok. i open the door, and deliver a blast of bear spray in his face.
end result, was AFTER he got out of the hospitial, he was arrested.
bear spray will stop a drugged out maniac in one step. pepper spray will not.
do not tell the coppers you used bear spray.

i was parked down by charleston once. o darkthirty doggin wakes me real quiet, i look out the window, and see about 25 men with large bundles on their backs, and highpowered weapons headed north along the river.
even if i had a beltfed weapon and explosives, there were too many to deal with.
i stayed quiet and waited them out.

sorry i interuped the conversation, my point is there are other effective methods to deal with loco people.

OP
OP
H

Harpman

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2008
When I was in the service I use to shoot on the pistol team, but I no longer have a pistol. My weapon of choice is also Bear spray because it is very effective and your decision to defend yourself doesn't have to have absolute consequences. The only reason to ever pull a weapon is to fire it, and most situations aren't that clear cut. After using Bear spray, you can say OOPS if you incorrectly assessed the situation. That would allow me to sleep a lot better at night.

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread