Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zen is a focused state of being and mind. It involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion created by your own thoughts. It really means doing one thing and doing it well, without distraction. WW2 fighter pilots called it situation awareness. There was a book where the author observed a dirty garage with blaring rock music is a bad place to get your motorcycle repaired, because the mechanics had jumbled minds. Same applies to detecting.

Upvote 0

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that trying to offer a subject such as this to discussion lends itself to slightly different interpretations, because everyone reads something a little differently into either what is asked, or what they envision as the goal. One definition of Zen states, "..a Mahayana movement, introduced into China in the 6th century a.d. and into Japan in the 12th century, that emphasizes enlightenment for the student by the most direct possible means." You suggested kensho, which is an individual experience leading to enlightenment (usually an initial "ah-ha"), or at least a means to deepen one's understanding along the path to enlightenment.

If one were using metal detecting as a hypnotic tool to only reach a state of deep esoteric awareness, or even nothingness, then perhaps it would more closely align with kensho...as would washing the dishes. But most discussions of Zen focus upon the process, and not the goal. If the goal of metal detecting is a specific form of enlightenment that enhances ones' experience doing such, then perhaps more than one definition can come into play. This being the nugget shooting forum, one might strive for an awareness of abundance, that in that particular time and space takes the form of raw gold, and where one might be led to swing his or her coil. Perhaps this is a corruption of Zen, but it is a rung on the ladder as one approaches a higher understanding.

Of course, when perfect enlightenment is reached, material forms of anything, including those of supply and/or abundance, have no meaning. Perfect harmony means nothing is never needed or wanted, but I believe that is way beyond the scope of the OP.

Just my two cents...

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Lets start with the basics.

The first patriarch of zen credited with transmitting the teachings to the east says this is what zen is:

A special transmission outside the scriptures;
No dependence on words and letters;
Direct pointing to the mind of man;
Seeing into one's nature and attaining Buddhahood.

-Bodhidharma

He ought to know.

If you wish to know what zen is, then sit down, shut up, and wait. It's deceptively easy to do. :laughing7:

Kensho is simply a glimpse into your true nature. Yes, an ah-HA! experience.

You'll never become enlightened searching for anything. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
While metal detecting one can adapt certain methods of zazen and Buddhism, namely right concentration and the Jhanas to increase their finds, sure, and they might experience samadhi in the process much like an athelete in "the zone" (think tiger woods or michael jordan in his peak), and this could lead to a further investigation which possibly leads them to a deeper practice and eventual enlightenment experience.

I suppose that could happen along the path, and probably in more than one trip around the wheel too. :icon_thumright:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I need to write up a metal detectorists meditation guide for people to try out. The goal not being enlightenment, but finding more "treasure" of the mundane type. Gold nuggets, silver, micro and macro jewelry... I wonder what the interest would be.

People do seem to love their golden chains!

I apologize. I came here looking for gold machine info, but the title caught my attention and the contents missed the mark, so I am compelled by moral imperative to correct the error. I am not your zen master, teacher, or guide, but I've caused enough now.

Good luck and good hunting for all....whatever you hunt. :occasion14:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I zenned a gold and tourmaline ring once. :icon_scratch: :-\
If I don't think about it, I DID zen a gold and tourmaline ring once. ;D :laughing7:
Definitely led to some samadhi, when I thought about it. :icon_scratch:
If I didn't think about it, it was samadhi. :laughing7:

Hardest thing in the world for me to do, turn the brain off. :BangHead:
The hum of that Excal, helps. :notworthy: I just gotta remember, not to enlighten out so much,
that I fall down. :laughing7: When tekkering in water, that can lead to drowning. :tongue3:

Jury may still be out, on the being aware part...... :dontknow: :laughing7:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I zenned a gold and tourmaline ring once. :icon_scratch: :-\
If I don't think about it, I DID zen a gold and tourmaline ring once. ;D :laughing7:
Definitely led to some samadhi, when I thought about it. :icon_scratch:
If I didn't think about it, it was samadhi. :laughing7:

Hardest thing in the world for me to do, turn the brain off. :BangHead:
The hum of that Excal, helps. :notworthy: I just gotta remember, not to enlighten out so much,
that I fall down. :laughing7: When tekkering in water, that can lead to drowning. :tongue3:

Jury may still be out, on the being aware part...... :dontknow: :laughing7:

So, to be clear, you really have nothing to correct, or add to the discussion. Got it. :thumb_up:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, to be clear, you really have nothing to correct, or add to the discussion. Got it. :thumb_up:
Got a honking 18K gold and huge paraiba tourmaline mans ring.
It adds up correctly just fine, for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions