Zoomorphic Wheelock Spanner? UPDATE!

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Had an hour to investigate a new area in the forest where there was some activity a long time ago, and found nothing besides rusty iron tidbits, except for this last hole piece.

The signal was different from different angles and not particularly encouraging, but with no keepers in my pocket, I decided to give it a go before I had to leave. I pulled a bit of copper wire out, and then got another signal, found a rusty piece of doodad, and covered the hole, as I never found three things in a hole before. I gave it a final swing as I was walking away and a perfect tone came through.

It's a Swan thingy, 2.5" long, Bronze, and have no idea what it is for or from.

Attachments

• Mvc-057f.jpg
    Mvc-057f.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 753
  • Mvc-055f.jpg
    Mvc-055f.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 685
  • Mvc-056f.jpg
    Mvc-056f.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 684
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Zoomorphic Ancient Bronze

goldnow said:
"It looks brass Victorian or just before & probably a hook thats bent out of shape."

Just joking about the fibula, Cru.

It's not bent out of shape, as the bill of the swan is one piece with the body. Sure looks like bronze to me, with its dark brown/ green patina. How do you tell the difference from brass? Your dating is about what I think, circa 1800's.

OK, if attached, I have no clue really. Other than I stick to the brass, Victorian (ish) & not a snake buckle piece.

Seems like there maybe a piece of wear around the neck of the swan similar to what you get from another metal loop which swung off the main loop. Similar to snake buckle wear, but its the widening end & unusual cross-section which discounts a buckle piece. Maybe horse type furniture for a heavy horse. ie to hang things/decoration. :dontknow:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Seems like there maybe a piece of wear around the neck of the swan similar to what you get from another metal loop which swung off the main loop. "

Look at it closer crusader. The point where there would be wear would be on the inside sharp edge of the loop, and in fact there is absolutely none. The profile is perfectly shaped inside. As I said earlier, there is nothing to suggest this is a loop or buckle piece. The open square is very significant, as it strongly suggests this was for joinery to a larger object.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
"Seems like there maybe a piece of wear around the neck of the swan similar to what you get from another metal loop which swung off the main loop. "

Look at it closer crusader. The point where there would be wear would be on the inside sharp edge of the loop, and in fact there is absolutely none. The profile is perfectly shaped inside. As I said earlier, there is nothing to suggest this is a loop or buckle piece. The open square is very significant, as it strongly suggests this was for joinery to a larger object.

I thought I could see some on the first picture, not visible on the last as its facing the other way. However, probably not wear. Yes agreed joined & if read my post I keep saying not buckle piece!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread