Zoomorphic Wheelock Spanner? UPDATE!

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Had an hour to investigate a new area in the forest where there was some activity a long time ago, and found nothing besides rusty iron tidbits, except for this last hole piece.

The signal was different from different angles and not particularly encouraging, but with no keepers in my pocket, I decided to give it a go before I had to leave. I pulled a bit of copper wire out, and then got another signal, found a rusty piece of doodad, and covered the hole, as I never found three things in a hole before. I gave it a final swing as I was walking away and a perfect tone came through.

It's a Swan thingy, 2.5" long, Bronze, and have no idea what it is for or from.

Attachments

• Mvc-057f.jpg
    Mvc-057f.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 753
  • Mvc-055f.jpg
    Mvc-055f.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 685
  • Mvc-056f.jpg
    Mvc-056f.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 684
Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Zoomorphic Ancient Bronze

Sorry, I don't know Roman. But, looks like a handle of some kind.....you will know better the possible type of metal.
I can see the resemblance to a swan, but .......... mmmmm don't know. Hope so, for your sake.
Someone will be able to put a tag on it. Was to stay with the hunting, even when it's a bit dry. :thumbsup:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Looks like a snake buckle :icon_thumleft:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It's not a snake buckle. For one thing, a snake buckle would be a solid casting, not something that needed a square interior support or hollow at one end. A snake buckle also has the head well free of the body. On top of that, there's not a sign of wear on the sharp interior edge of he loop. I agree it's a "swan thingy".

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used

johnnyi said:
It's not a snake buckle. For one thing, a snake buckle would be a solid casting, not something that needed a square interior support or hollow at one end. A snake buckle also has the head well free of the body. On top of that, there's not a sign of wear on the sharp interior edge of he loop. I agree it's a "swan thingy", but most probably not ancient.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/E/snake.jpg

Here's one

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's a good example shaun. You see that the head or "bill" does not meet the body, it is just very near. As well a snake buckle is equally balanced, meeting in the middle of it's "s". Goldnow's object though is a head with a neck tapered larger and larger to meet it's body. It was possibly cast is at least two pieces as well, as evidenced by the hollow square joint which broke off slightly above the body itself.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
That's a good example shaun. You see that the head or "bill" does not meet the body, it is just very near. As well a snake buckle is equally balanced, meeting in the middle of it's "s". Goldnow's object though is a head with a neck tapered larger and larger to meet it's body. It was possibly cast is at least two pieces as well, as evidenced by the hollow square joint which broke off slightly above the body itself.
Herer's another...swan type :thumbsup: maybe the heads been bent to the body :dontknow:

SS.

Attachments

• S shaped Buckle.jpg
    S shaped Buckle.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 866

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used

Here's one i found!

Attachments

• snake 001.JPG
    snake 001.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 696
  • snake 002.JPG
    snake 002.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 606

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not really sure what you found there, perhaps it's a handle :dontknow:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

"Not really sure what you found there, perhaps it's a handle"

I agree with you sparticus, the swan's head and neck could as easily be a handle, as opposed to a sculpture of a complete swan. Whichever it is, a major clue to dating it will probably be the square opening which seems to be for an armature (or male stud on the larger piece) to join this fragile piece to the larger one.

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Thanks everybody for sharing in my dilemma. The pictures are great.

I'm leaning towards handle, like on a sink. But it does seem awfully small and delicate for that. Wear is equal on all sides, so that is no help. I don't believe there was any more bronze parts to it, and it sat on a screw or a male bit, which like someone mentioned, it broke just at the end of its body.

Could it be part of a fibula?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldnow said:

I'm leaning towards handle, like on a sink. But it does seem awfully small and delicate for that. Wear is equal on all sides, so that is no help. I don't believe there was any more bronze parts to it, and it sat on a screw or a male bit, which like someone mentioned, it broke just at the end of its body.

If you mean fibula, as in Roman Brooch then no :'(

your piece doesn't look ancient enough...sorry :( and it would be solid cast :read2:

SS.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldnow said:

As SS says, not ancient or a Fibula. It looks brass Victorian or just before & probably a hook thats bent out of shape. The construction is wrong for a 'snake' buckle piece.

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

May be totally wrong but my WAG, could it be the winding key for a wheelock firearm?
Kinda depends on where it was found.

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Re: Zoomorphic Wheelock Spanner? UPDATE

UPDATED;.....

"May be totally wrong but my WAG, could it be the winding key for a wheelock firearm?
Kinda depends on where it was found."

Gunny, I think you might have something there. It does look like a possible 'Wheelock Spanner'. And it was found in area of Italy, where the Germans/Swiss/French all settled in over the centuries.

I googled "wheelock firearm/spanner", but couldn't find any in bronze or with animal motif yet, will try some other searches after this post, and they sell for a pretty penny I see.

AND, I did find on one website in the search, the answer to another mystery piece I found a few months back. It turns out to be a 'cannon breech' (picture in link), and looks like they sell in the hundreds, too. Mine is smaller than those shown, but looks 1600-1700 to me. Now all I have to do is find the cannon.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,249083.msg1780783.html#msg1780783

Thanks for the lead. One door always opens to another.. Good swinging....I love this hobby.

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

"It looks brass Victorian or just before & probably a hook thats bent out of shape."

Just joking about the fibula, Cru.

It's not bent out of shape, as the bill of the swan is one piece with the body. Sure looks like bronze to me, with its dark brown/ green patina. How do you tell the difference from brass? Your dating is about what I think, circa 1800's.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the wheel lock was not on a cannon it was on a muzzle loading fire arm rifle or pistol here is a linkhttp://www.therifleshoppe.com/(623).htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread