What is this?

dearthur

Nov 2, 2012
Springfield, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops. I'm new to this. I think I posted in the wrong place? But...I'd like to know what this artifact is? It's been in the family for a long time. I think it is a popeye birdstone...from looking at pictures in some books. It is about 7 inches long, 2 inches wide, 2 inches high. It has holes drilled in it and grooves along the sides. There is a different colored patch on the top??? It's very smooth. I think I might donate it to our local museum but I don't know what it is? Poppeye Birdstone up.jpg Poppeye Birdstone side.jpg Poppeye Birdstone bottom.jpg

Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Before anyone offers an opinion, can you provide any background on the piece, where it's from, how you acquired it? My thought is that your museum likely won't be interested it acquiring it, but I'm not a birdstone expert.

OP
OP
D

dearthur

Nov 2, 2012
Springfield, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More information.. It's been in the family for over 20 yrs. The story goes that it was brought in to a classroom for a show and tell but left by the student at the end of the year. It ended up on the shelf of the principal for years and years until he retired. Upon his death his widow gave it to me. This little community is located just south of Springfield, OH and it is all farming area. I imagine it was found on one of the farms. I don't know whatelse to say about the artifact except it's very beautiful.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
dearthur - that story makes sense now. I don't believe what you have is a genuinely old artifact. I believe it's a reproduction of a pop-eye birdstone. There are a lot of factors in the piece that cause me to believe this - the eyes, the base, the overall shape and style. If it were an old piece the student who left it would be very unhappy as it would be worth many thousands of dollars. There are a couple of folks on here who are very knowledgeable on birdstones and maybe they'll chime in with more details.

Thanks.

GTK96

Jul 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Might be worth reposting in "what is it?" They always seem to know everything...

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a reproduction and not a very good one at that. I have seen a lot of Birdstones and have looked through Knoblock's book on Birdstones and there is no style in there like that.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I have never seen a real bird stone, but have had a teacher steal some nice stuff that I displayed. That's what the principal gets for not notifying that kid!! I don't think his parents would have let a real bird stone get forgotten. Also, as bay pirate pointed out, it had screw holes. Is it possible that the screw hole was invented before the screw?? Thanks for posting man! Please don't take any of what I said as insults to you.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone went crazy on that piece lol, and real birdstones are drilled like that...

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was funny and knew it wasnt real. I just was sitting back to see if anybody would bite on that. I dont know the person that posted it but thanks for the pic of it. Now we all know what not to look for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread