TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me begin by saying this was the cleanest beach and surf I have ever seen and that it was a pure pleasure using both of these machines, I tested them both for 6 days at least a total of 5 to 6 hours each day. Even though the ocean was as rough as a cobble stone road I managed not to get knocked done although I did get pretty beat up. While in the surf I hunted waist deep with both machines in what I called the trench, the part of the floor that takes a dip down before coming ashore, a section about 20 to 30 feet wide stretching the length of the beach. I also hunted in the wet sand, dry sand and the lagoons or cut in that the wind and water made from storms on the inland beach just off the ocean but still on the main beach.
Now for the review.

Minelab Excalibur II with Anderson Straight Shaft:

I used this machine for the first three days solid and found it quite nice although I did not take me long to remove the coil cover because sand got trapped under in and so it became a little feisty, but after the removal of the cover everything ran smooth. The discrimination was great as well at the balance on the Anderson shaft, the stability of the unit was good in the surf as well as dry sand. I used 2 extra 1 inch strips of Velcro to restrain the coil cable to the shaft so as to not to let falsing occur due to wave action. The setting I was using in discriminate was volume at full, discrimination at 1, just enough to null the iron which worked beautifully, threshold was just loud enough to hear it over the surf rolling in and the sensitivity was set at 1:00. As I was saying the first few hours was hunted in the discriminate mode at which time I switched to Pinpoint mode which I discovered for for me is the mode to hunt in even though it's all metal and with a little thought realized it's the only way to compare the two detectors. In discriminate mode I was digging targets to probably 8 to 12 inches deep, I'm talking coins, pull tabs and of course every ones favorite, bottle caps. When pinpoint mode was in service the machine ran quite, just the threshold was humming, with was nice, none of the other sounds like when using discriminate mode. In pinpoint mode those same kind of finds was coming in at 15 to 18 inches deep maybe more, but I was digging everything, on one hole my 6 inch RTG SS scoop was so far in the hole I could not dig any more I just had to lower it in and then dig with it and lift it out, almost 1/3 of the scoop shaft was in the hole with the bucket. The Excalibur did not disappoint, I had no trouble with it what so ever, it was a pleasure to use all the way around especially in pinpoint mode. I would how ever suggest applying a coating of marine epoxy to the coil and leaving the coil cover at home, it causes nothing but trouble in the surf no matter which mode you use.

Whites Duel Field With Anderson Straight Shaft:

After using the Excalibur for the first three day I decided it was time for the PI for the next three and thank the surf gods for calming the sea a little, just a little. I hunted the same places with the PI as with the Excalibur, wanting to see if I missed anything. The Duel Field was also a pleasure to use in many ways I found it more stable and fun to use, just knowing I would not miss anything if the coil was over it was somewhat of a comfort and the stable tone of the PI was great, thanks to PI Craig for a couple of pointers and the fantastic book of Clive's made the whole PI experience so much better in setting the machine and what to listen for, so thanks Craig for that. The Duel Field was mounted on an Anderson Shaft just like the Excalibur II, the whole outfit was much lighter than the Excal. which made it easier to swing for a longer period which as very nice, the first days was eased by Advil. The hunt produced little else after the first round with the Excal. in pinpoint mode, although what was found was nicer and deeper (even with the VLF in pinpoint mode), a tag, some coins and of course bobby pins and bottle caps, some nails was also uncovered, something I did not see in discriminate mode of the VLF, but the trade off of the all metal was worth in, because I learned when you dig far enough that the sand becomes discolored into a rusty color it's time to stop digging for a nail is not far in your future. The setting of the Duel Field are simple, the threshold was just above audible to overcome the surf noise, the sensitivity setting was at 1:00 and the pulse delay at 7:00 just off the factory setting, the pulse delay is the one that a little goes a long way, you can really hurt yourself with it.

As I said earlier both machine are a pleasure to work with. I and looking forward to my next trip, maybe the surf will be more pleasurable to hunt.
Given I only had a week to test both machines I got a good look at both of them, but much more learning is in order. For me the story ends with a collection of coins, tags, paper clips, every brand of bottle cap on the market and of course bobby pins. The clear winner in the whole treasure finding week was the wife, all she had to do was look down while walking and find a presidential dollar. Oh well, beginners luck!

For me the week did not have a winner per say for detectors, I will keep them both because they both have there uses. The Excalibur will be relegated to fresh water because I dive and need something to null and discriminate iron. The Duel Field will be my beach companion because for me turned out to be the better machine for the beach for me, it may not be for everyone, but I found solace in the simplicity, weight, depth and just knowing I had to dig everything if I wanted that ring or rare something. The Excalibur is a great machine and will finds lots of use under water, but even in Pinpoint mode the PI is deeper and lighter just for beach and surf hunting, but that's just me.

I really enjoyed working with both, sorry for the long review! Thanks for listing to my rambling.

Tim

Upvote 0

cage228

Jan 3, 2009
Re: Whites Duel Field and Minelab Excalibur II at The Gulf Beaches

Many Thx for sharing Tim.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice comparison, Tim ... and much appreciated!

I've used an older Surfmaster PI for over a year now and I am constantly amazed...a small 1/4" long piece of wire or nail at 7" or 8" deep. And of course the GOOD stuff too The gold ring with the emerald of my avatar was the first gold ring it found for me.

One thing I would like to know: how would you compare the dual Field with the older PI's?

HH Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice report TIM,

Suggestions for the Excal.

1. Get a harness, it is the difference between night a day with one.

2. On the coil cover, if you use one clean it after every hunt.

3. Hunt in pinpoint mode, when you get a signal check it in disc, if it nulls it is iron and move on. If you see nothing in disc, keep digging. If you get a good tone keep digging.

4. Personally I never use discrimination, and Minelabs null on iron with no discrimination at all.

5. If you use Epoxy or any coating on the coil, it will void the warranty with Minelab, I know it sucks.

6. You can't do it as long as it is under warranty, but out of warranty get a WOT coil, the WOT goes so much deeper and covers so much more ground.

OP
OP
TimC (North Alabama)

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TH for the tips on the Excal. I thought about the warrenty too and have decided to hold off and wait until the warranty runs out and get the WOT or an SEF.
I used the discriminate mode on the first day for a while but soon switched to pinpoint which is where it will stay for now.

Joe, the only other PI I have used thus far is the Garrett Infinium and could not tell that much difference in depth, but then I have only used it on land for Prospecting and relic hunting. I will carry it to the Gulf next time for sure and may have a threesome.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Easier than the epoxy, take the coil cover off, clean and degrease it and the coil, then put a smear of silicone glue all round the COIL at about the height where the cover would have it´s last 1/4 inch. Push the coil cover back on and allow to dry properly.
It should now be completely water and sand proof.
PROBLEM COMPLETELY SOLVED, and NO WARRENTY ISSUES !!

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tim very interesting read just what I wanted to know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions