***Gray ghost headphone upgrade***

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster P.I. Dual Field; Minelab Sovereign GT; CTX 3030; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anybody with a white's PI surf master dual field upgraded the headphones to a gray ghost underwater headphone? How easy was this to do on your own or did you have someone do it for you? I have some electronic back ground and can solder. Is this an upgrade that is well worth it, or should I skip this upgrade and enjoy what I already have? My only complaint is the stock headphone pads are starting to fall off. (yes, a simple adhesive will do the trick!) Please throw some ideas my way or recommendations....

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would go with some Gel Ear Pads and some aquaseal for right now.

I have taken the DF's apart, they like the GGUW use 27mm piezo's. Changing to the GGUW's would be a good upgrade as far as Sound Pressure Levels (db rating) I hope in my research on headphones to comeup with a better pair for the DF but for right now I'm focused on the excaliburs. Got about 10 minutes? Excalibur Speaker choice, Which is the Best? , I would post these things here but responce is much less.

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with some Gel Ear Pads and some aquaseal for right now.

I have taken the DF's apart, they like the GGUW use 27mm piezo's. Changing to the GGUW's would be a good upgrade as far as Sound Pressure Levels (db rating) I hope in my research on headphones to comeup with a better pair for the DF but for right now I'm focused on the excaliburs. Got about 10 minutes? Excalibur Speaker choice, Which is the Best? , I would post these things here but responce is much less.

Thanks for the information OBN!!! Liked listening to the videos.... the sounds are funny to me, lol.... i played them really loud and it scares my 2 year old, hehe...

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My headphones quit working on my CZ20 and I had a guy on this forum put the GG headphones on it and I absolutely loved them. When the CZ20 crapped out on me I sent it to Fisher to get it upgraded to the CZ21 and Felix said they would not fix/upgrade it unless I went back to the fisher phones. >:( If my fisher phones crap out on me then I will happily be adding the GG back to my upgraded CZ21.

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@ OBN and Bigmike....... thank you for the replies...... I couldn't wait for anymore responses.... I ordered the gray ghost headphones!!!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you will be happy, let me know how hard they are to install. I have seen it done and I think the most dangerous part was making sure the gasket gets installed correct....you may want to ask them about the wiring also..there are 3 wires on the GGUW's....different wiring for dif detector's...Good Luck

i hope to get alot of time in on the DF come this fall, going to address a few issues i think need fixed...try and stablize the threshold more, fix the coil, and try and squeeze a better set of headphones out for it

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you will be happy, let me know how hard they are to install. I have seen it done and I think the most dangerous part was making sure the gasket gets installed correct....you may want to ask them about the wiring also..there are 3 wires on the GGUW's....different wiring for dif detector's...Good Luck

i hope to get alot of time in on the DF come this fall, going to address a few issues i think need fixed...try and stablize the threshold more, fix the coil, and try and squeeze a better set of headphones out for it

Changed my mind at the moment in upgrading my headphones to GGUW for now partly because I don't want to mess with the watertight integrity of my machine. Any idea where one can order these gel pads you are talking about?

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Changed my mind at the moment in upgrading my headphones to GGUW for now partly because I don't want to mess with the watertight integrity of my machine. Any idea where one can order these gel pads you are talking about?

These are the ones I am using and have been pleased with them. You will need to use sealant to put them on with. I use silicone for a non permanent attachment, aquaseal or contact cement for a permanent attachment. OBN may have a another choice.
Gel Ear Seals - Parts and Accessories

OP
OP
G

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are the ones I am using and have been pleased with them. You will need to use sealant to put them on with. I use silicone for a non permanent attachment, aquaseal or contact cement for a permanent attachment. OBN may have a another choice.
Gel Ear Seals - Parts and Accessories

@ Can Slaw, thanks, looking at them now.... not bad for only 17.99!!! Do you know if they will work with Whites surfmaster dual field?

Last edited:

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
gee_mg, They will make a world of difference, I have them on all my headphones.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
CS, that is a very good price on those. The place I order from carries those also and they are a dollar more.....And as far as comfort, all are just about the same. Since I wanted Skullies to come with the best GEL Ear pads I bought several in search of, from 16.99 to 24.oo, just to test...I only found one I liked better, but all are so close in comfort, and help block outside noise..I did end up picking the 22.oo set which are double hump just like the peltor's which are 47.oo, the D-200 has more surface area along with a larger ear opening. But ANY would be a great choice.

IMG_0155.jpg

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know if they will work with Whites surfmaster dual field?

They are universal....None fit perfect, but all are very close.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just change the ear muffs for 10 dollars I did on mine.HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread