Mineralization in NJ

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a beach expert here- but I have seen black sand at various locations in NJ. My xTerra 705 does a good job in the dry & damp sand. But I'm researching a water MD for NJ,DE & MD. I'll be interested in any response that you get.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I understand that any beach north of South Carolina plus many in South Carolina are very iron and mineral rich with black sand. Many detectors can not handle the black sand without constantly falsing. I understand the multi frequency detectors like Minelab do well in that environment, although I do not yet own one myself. HH

OP
OP
N

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks. I've gotten a couple recommendations for minelab detector. Still looking though, it's a lot harder to pick out a MD than I thought.

wallhanger124

Greenie
Jan 17, 2013
Vineland, NJ
Detector(s) used
Excal2 and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks. I've gotten a couple recommendations for minelab detector. Still looking though, it's a lot harder to pick out a MD than I thought.

I can't speak for northern nj beaches, but all of the beaches I have hit in south jersey have some serious black sand. Before I bought my Excalibur II, I had a Fisher F2. With the Excalibur II I have no problems at all on the wet or black sand, but with the Fisher, I couldn't even get close to wet or black sand without the detector falsing so bad I couldn't even use it......even with the sensitivity all the way down. Do yourself a favor and get a multi frequency detector. I prefer minelab, but any multi frequency detector will work.

OP
OP
N

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm torn between the MXT Pro and the Coinmaster GT.. For everything I read saying the Coinmaster will work on wet sand I read something that says it sucks on the beach. It's a BIG concern for me because I will be hunting mostly on the beach.

wallhanger124

Greenie
Jan 17, 2013
Vineland, NJ
Detector(s) used
Excal2 and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm torn between the MXT Pro and the Coinmaster GT.. For everything I read saying the Coinmaster will work on wet sand I read something that says it sucks on the beach. It's a BIG concern for me because I will be hunting mostly on the beach.

I'm sorry to say, but both of the detectors u just mentioned will NOT be good in the wet sand. The reason they cannot handle the wet sand is that they are both single frequency detectors. If u only plan on hunting the dry sand, either of those detectors u mentioned will be OK. Please trust me when I tell u that u NEED a multi frequency detectors for the saltwater wet sand beaches.

OP
OP
N

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wallhanger124 said:
I'm sorry to say, but both of the detectors u just mentioned will NOT be good in the wet sand. The reason they cannot handle the wet sand is that they are both single frequency detectors. If u only plan on hunting the dry sand, either of those detectors u mentioned will be OK. Please trust me when I tell u that u NEED a multi frequency detectors for the saltwater wet sand beaches.

Thanks, I wish I knew some people local that could help me.

wallhanger124

Greenie
Jan 17, 2013
Vineland, NJ
Detector(s) used
Excal2 and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I wish I knew some people local that could help me.
U could just give Joe at DeMarco detector sales a call. I get all of my detectors and scoops from him. He has a shop in Millville, NJ and also a website, South Jersey Metal Detectors-DeMarco Detector Sales-MetalDetecting.Com. His shops phone number is 856 825 6009. He knows all about our NJ beaches and which detectors work the best on them. I know there are a bunch of other members on here that can vouch for him also.
Hope this helps, Kyle.

OP
OP
N

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wallhanger124 said:
U could just give Joe at DeMarco detector sales a call. I get all of my detectors and scoops from him. He has a shop in Millville, NJ and also a website, South Jersey Metal Detectors-DeMarco Detector Sales-MetalDetecting.Com. His shops phone number is 856 825 6009. He knows all about our NJ beaches and which detectors work the best on them. I know there are a bunch of other members on here that can vouch for him also.
Hope this helps, Kyle.

Awesome, thanks.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am a NJ beach hunter. You need a multi frequency machine. If you plan to hunt in the water the Minelab Excaliber is the most used machine on Jersey beaches. It will also hunt dry sand and wet sand. If you are planning to go dry sand and wet sand only, the Minelab Sovereign GT is the best way to go. The GT can get it's coil wet but not it's power box. The GT is generally regarded as the best all around beach machine. It is better balanced than the excal and is usable right out of the box. The excal needs an aftermarket shaft to improve its balance. The GT is also an excellent dirt hunting machine. Don't let the fact that it lacks a meter or screen throw you. It's all about beep and dig!

Minelab just discontinued the Gt but It still may be in stock. In addition to Demarco, I recco Gold Digger metal detector Sales in Rariton NJ. The owner there, Ronnie DeGhetto, can set you up with everything you need to attack the beach. detector, headphones and scoop http://golddiggermetaldetectors.com/ 908- 595- 9933.

There are other machines that can be used at the beach. if you want to spend $2400 there is the brand new MinelabCTX3030. It's gotten great reviews, but may be not the best way for a beginner to go. If it turns out you don't like beach hunting, that's an expensive dust collector!

There are other great machines, however they aren't front line beach hunting machines. Those would be Minelab's Etrac and Explorer. The Etrac does well in wet and dry sand but isn't waterproof. The Explorer also does OK. Both of those machines are more dirt hunters.

There is nothing in Garrett's or White's line up that we would use on our beaches. Some like the Garrett AT Pro. Good machine but not really the best on our beaches.

Fisher has the CZ 21, like the EXcaliber it's a machine that is used in the water. There are a couple of guys using these. But they are primarily using them to dive with.

Lastly, there are PI machines. PI stands for Pulse Induction. These machines find treasure like nobody's business!!! Unfortunately there is no way to tune out the trash and Iron. Which makes them very difficult to use on Jersey's beaches. Generally speaking we don't use PI machines on Jersey's beaches. The time and energy wasted digging junk targets gets old fast and limits your ability to find the good stuff. You've got only so much time and energy. In other areas of the country PI machines excel.

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
On these SERIOUSLY heavy black sand/salt beaches on the West cost, the dual freq. CZ's beat the multi-freq Minelabs for depth and smooth operation by a distinct margin. I kept my CZ, got rid of my Sovereign. No comparison between the two. Larry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread