What's new

Detecting after the sun goes down

Crunchyhippo

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
292
Reaction score
611
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Florida
How many detectorists out there have gone to the beach when it gets dark, after most everyone is gone, and detected all night (or most of the night)? I love detecting at night at busy Clearwater Beach (I've only done it twice) because as soon as the sun goes down, everyone leaves and I don't have to maneuver around them. The only time limit is how long my detector battery will last which, for the Manticore, should be 7-8 hours (I hope). I also have a headlamp, and I have no idea how long that battery will last - but I have a pocket flashlight as a backup. Low tide is 2:22 a.m. tonight, so my wife would have to drop me off there close to midnight, then pick me up around 6 or 7 a.m. (no parking available at the beach during those hours). I only plan on detecting in the wet sand (too much trash in the dry sand for me).

Has anyone done this, and if so, how did it go? Were there any safety concerns when there's not a soul in sight anywhere on the beach except yourself at, say, 2 a.m.?
 
Upvote 0
I personally wouldn't go unless I was armed, even if it's pepper spray, while you may never encounter anyone...but most anyone else out at that time of night might be up to no good.
 
Low tide is 2:22 a.m. tonight, so my wife would have to drop me off there close to midnight, then pick me up around 6 or 7 a.m.

First thing I'd be doing is thanking my wife for letting me mess up
her night.

But yes, back in the day (like 1984) I used to go to Newport Beach (Ca) and
work the wet sand at night. Would I do that today? Hell no....not safe, and I like
to be aware of my surroundings.
 
I have done so many, many times, I perfer hunting at night or very early in the morning before daylight.

I time my hunts to the low tides most times, I prefer 2-3 hours before low tide and will hunt for 4-8 hours at minimum. If I was closer to beach I might hunt differently. I'm 1:15 mins to closest beach.

When I hunted Miami beaches it is usually 10-12 hr hunts with a timeout to eat and snack. Gas too high to do Miami for now. I love hunting Key Biscayne...
 
I use to do a few night hunts in OC Md years ago (2014-2015) but found the best time is right after most people leave the beach which between 5pm and dusk. And this is during the peak summer time months July till Sept 15th.
Now days I would not feel safe and no doubt would need something for protection other then my titanium scoop which I can swing fairly good but still like a old man.
Every location is going to be different as far as the best opp times.
And I can say this, during those summer months I have seen sharks trolling right off shore in OC Md.
 
I have done so many, many times, I perfer hunting at night or very early in the morning before daylight.

I time my hunts to the low tides most times, I prefer 2-3 hours before low tide and will hunt for 4-8 hours at minimum. If I was closer to beach I might hunt differently. I'm 1:15 mins to closest beach.

When I hunted Miami beaches it is usually 10-12 hr hunts with a timeout to eat and snack. Gas too high to do Miami for now. I love hunting Key Biscayne...
Now days If I do more then 4 to 5 hours I'm wore out, younger days no problem. Just the other day I got gold into the second hour and almost left for I accomplished the mission. Stayed a few more hours and found not much more.
 
Now days If I do more then 4 to 5 hours I'm wore out, younger days no problem. Just the other day I got gold into the second hour and almost left for I accomplished the mission. Stayed a few more hours and found not much more.
More than day hour's , to hot & humid 80s & 90s , as long as you have no fear , you will be fine :icon_thumright:
 
You'll be "A day late and a dollar short" hunting real late like that, my observation is that metal detectorist have already hammered your spot all day because I have literally seen them step over people laying on the beach and not miss a swing even when the beach is crowded as @$#% they still detect least around here they do and not just one of them I counted 3 of them one time all in kind of a small area... anyway that's why I don't beach hunt anymore but when I did like you I did it at night its much cooler but don't forget my friend the FREAKS come out at night. You're doing good hunting in low tide and no worries about sting rays and sharks because your coil usually scares them off. I may get back into beach hunting (I miss my gold) but if I do it will be at night even though by then its hunted out. Now I put all my energy into relic hunting untouched sites and I usually go "Mision Creep" when I do it oh of course with the owner's permission, necessary permits, and I cover all my holes. Anyway, I rambling so enjoy your night hunting.
 
How many detectorists out there have gone to the beach when it gets dark, after most everyone is gone, and detected all night (or most of the night)? I love detecting at night at busy Clearwater Beach (I've only done it twice) because as soon as the sun goes down, everyone leaves and I don't have to maneuver around them. The only time limit is how long my detector battery will last which, for the Manticore, should be 7-8 hours (I hope). I also have a headlamp, and I have no idea how long that battery will last - but I have a pocket flashlight as a backup. Low tide is 2:22 a.m. tonight, so my wife would have to drop me off there close to midnight, then pick me up around 6 or 7 a.m. (no parking available at the beach during those hours). I only plan on detecting in the wet sand (too much trash in the dry sand for me).

Has anyone done this, and if so, how did it go? Were there any safety concerns when there's not a soul in sight anywhere on the beach except yourself at, say, 2 a.m.?
Not the beach, but at night with a headlamp in the winter when it’s dark after work. Been stalked by mountain lion momma but came out alive. Found my best at night.
 
Some small beaches might be over hunted by dark, but not most of Fl's major beaches. Beaches like St Pete Beach, Daytona beach, New Smyrna, Miami South Beaches, Ft Lauderdale beaches are huge...

If Im detecting at night, Im always armed, usually with one of my .45s, in fact Im armed 99% of the time
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom