I bought myself my first probe

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Hi I bought this probe to look for a privy or a dump. This is my first probe I ever got! This is not specifically for bottle digging but could this work? Just wondering? Thank You
Jolteon
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420663797.737798.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420663821.107592.jpg

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never tryed to poke around for old outhouses yet,but it looks like it would work to me. there is a colonial home site that I have hunted for a few years now,getting to the point where I am not finding much more with my machine and I think I know where the privy was located,I might have to give it a shot one of these days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I was just wondering thank you I am fine with this one but do they make One for Metal detecting but do they make one for bottle digging? I couldn't find one online?

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "probe" used for metal detecting is an animal of a different color. It is a small battery operated handheld device used to pinpoint the target you are digging. It is basically a very small metal detector.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Ok I thought it was a probe not like a pin pointer.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is called a pinpointer or a probe. Just depends on who you are talking to.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yep my probe is a 4ft metal bully tools probe. I got it really cheap on eBay. No battery just a probe you stick in the ground.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell from the pictures if it's steel or fiberglass. Spring steel would definitely be best. The diameter seems a bit fat, meaning that it will require a little extra effort to push into the ground. Sure, you'll know when you hit something, but those grips are gonna dampen the subtle sound differences that you need to hear when passing through different soils, etc. A good probe is going to transfer whatever the tip is encountering from the tip up through the shaft and out the handle to your ears as it is pushed through the earth. Good luck with it, man and be sure to let us know what you find!

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Thank you I believe it is steel not fiber glass before I use it what is the difference between a regular hole and a privy? What do they feel like ?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you don't want to step off in either one. :happy3: Okay, now that I got that outta my system, they're both just holes, but the difference is what they were backfilled with. After a 100 or 150 years, a regular hole, backfilled with the dirt that came out of it, won't feel a bit different from the surrounding area. But one filled with glass, pottery, scraps, bones, ash or whatever other trash was discarded will feel and sound completely different.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
So bottle dumps would probably feel different as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions