Privy Help

coled18

Greenie
Dec 26, 2023
Pro: I just probed my first privy, a brick liner! (Edit: I thought it was a brick liner at first, it definitely was not)

Con: First three bottles were all ketchup bottles, from around 1930. Found about 3 feet down.

Question: I havenā€™t dug the whole privy, just a little bit down. It seemed that there were no other privy sites nearby. Is it normal for privyā€™s to have hard layers, and is it worth digging deeper to potentially find older glass at the bottom? Iā€™m here for the pre machine made bottles, and do not know if privys were used for decades.

The building was built as a school in the 1880s, and last used around 1930. It is relatively small for a two story building, and had only one teacher. Keep in mind, this is in the countryside. When I probed this pit, it seemed there were harder layers, then a foot or so of soft layer after each hard layer. I was able to stick a 5 foot probe in there and assume it is deeper.

Last edited:
Pro: I just probed my first privy, a brick liner!

Con: First three bottles were all ketchup bottles, from around 1930. Found about 3 feet down.

Question: I havenā€™t dug the whole privy, just a little bit down. It seemed that there were no other privy sites nearby. Is it normal for privyā€™s to have hard layers, and is it worth digging deeper to potentially find older glass at the bottom? Iā€™m here for the pre machine made bottles, and do not know if privys were used for decades.

The building was built as a school in the 1880s, and last used around 1930. It is relatively small for a two story building, and had only one teacher. Keep in mind, this is in the countryside. When I probed this pit, it seemed there were harder layers, then a foot or so of soft layer after each hard layer. I was able to stick a 5 foot probe in there and assume it is deeper.
There's a sure way of finding out, dig a little deeper.
There might of been an older pit also.
Just saying 50yrs for one pit is a longtime.
20/30 kids using it everyday it probably takes a deep pit to accommodate the use.
What are the layers made of, lime, ash, sand?

There's a sure way of finding out, dig a little deeper.
There might of been an older pit also.
Just saying 50yrs for one pit is a longtime.
20/30 kids using it everyday it probably takes a deep pit to accommodate the use.
What are the layers made of, lime, ash, sand?
As far as layers go, I havenā€™t dug very deep yet. I noticed some black ash, though. I wasnā€™t sure how long is ā€˜typicalā€™ for using a single outhouse.

Might I add, the town population peaked in the very early 1900s and by 1920 it went down to around 50 people.

As far as layers go, I havenā€™t dug very deep yet. I noticed some black ash, though. I wasnā€™t sure how long is ā€˜typicalā€™ for using a single outhouse.

Might I add, the town population peaked in the very early 1900s and by 1920 it went down to around 50 people.
Dumping a lye, ash, layer helped the odor and also helped break down the solids.
Grew up with one, dug many while working on the Railroad gangs.

Privy Digging isnt an exact science , nor was the building and use of a privy . Most ( Normal ) privies had a shelf life of say 10 - 15 yrs then a new one was dug , but as stated before not an exact science and need most times determined the building or even cleaning ( dipping ) of a privy . You may find your privy being another foot deep or another 10 feet deeper . Good luck and enjoy the dig .
My wife and I absolutely love digging privies and trash pits , its back breaking but most times its very rewarding for us . Locating one is half the battle . I cant tell you how many times we dug promising holes only to find out it wasnt anything at all but some loose dirt :icon_scratch: . You can infact find older bottles 6 inches down or 6 feet down logic is not always the rule , but logically speaking the older material would seem to be closer to the bottom .
Al

Privy Digging isnt an exact science , nor was the building and use of a privy . Most ( Normal ) privies had a shelf life of say 10 - 15 yrs then a new one was dug , but as stated before not an exact science and need most times determined the building or even cleaning ( dipping ) of a privy . You may find your privy being another foot deep or another 10 feet deeper . Good luck and enjoy the dig .
My wife and I absolutely love digging privies and trash pits , its back breaking but most times its very rewarding for us . Locating one is half the battle . I cant tell you how many times we dug promising holes only to find out it wasnt anything at all but some loose dirt :icon_scratch: . You can infact find older bottles 6 inches down or 6 feet down logic is not always the rule , but logically speaking the older material would seem to be closer to the bottom .
Al
Thank you. So true on the back breaking part too. I will keep you posted on what I find this weekend!

I know itā€™s not your goal, but even 1930-ish catsup bottles are better than getting skunked. šŸ¦ØšŸš½
So true. One of my favorite recoveries is a French's Mustard jar (no lid) with a 1915 pat. date (which only means it probably isn't any older than 1915--it could be a lot later...).

So true. One of my favorite recoveries is a French's Mustard jar (no lid) with a 1915 pat. date (which only means it probably isn't any older than 1915--it could be a lot later...).
Funny you bring that up! I excavated the rest of the pit (it was about 4.5 feet deep, just a simple one seater). I found some more ketchup from the 20s and two Frenchā€™s mustard jars. I donā€™t like screw tops or modern machine mades, but I figured they could make cool pen holders or something. I couldnā€™t find any more pits nearby, but there was a creek so maybe the older trash was dumped there. It was still neat to find something though!

I went to another town and got a permission on a c. 1910 homestead with two small wells behind it, but couldnā€™t find the pit after a few hours of probing.

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpeg
    IMG_0508.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0504.jpeg
    IMG_0504.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18
Funny you bring that up! I excavated the rest of the pit (it was about 4.5 feet deep, just a simple one seater). I found some more ketchup from the 20s and two Frenchā€™s mustard jars. I donā€™t like screw tops or modern machine mades, but I figured they could make cool pen holders or something.

Funny you bring that up! šŸ˜› Here's mine.
DSCN5323.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back