Immy
Silver Member
Here's my favorite -
About nine years ago I was at my favorite casino and sitting next to me was a young lady feeding pennies to her machine from a small cup. Out of habit I always try to glance at people's coins and drive myself nuts if I see a wheatie. I thought it was odd that there wasn't a shiny coin among them. In fact, they all looked pretty old and worn. My curiosity got to me and I said "Those look like old coins." She replied "Oh, yeah. They were my grandfather's." My eyes must have gotten as big as saucers and I knew I couldn't pass this up. Her cup was about half full (when full they hold about $5) and I told her I'd give her $5 for the rest. She happily agreed. Then she broke my heart by saying "Gee, I wish I had met you earlier. I've shoveled a whole bunch of these into these machines."
I wanted to cry! I thanked her (her name was April), cashed out my machine and drove home in a mood that was beyond giddy.
The contents of that cup still amaze me to this day. Some 350 pennies and 99% were pre-1935. Dozens of mintmarked teens, 20s & semi-keys but none of the big dates. The only ones missing from the series were the 1909-S VDB, 1909-S, 1914-D, 1915-S, 1922, 1931PS. Some of the earlier dates were in Fine and Very Fine. It took me over a week to ID and grade them all and kept me in a state of euphoria for weeks.
Any other roll searching/collecting stories?
About nine years ago I was at my favorite casino and sitting next to me was a young lady feeding pennies to her machine from a small cup. Out of habit I always try to glance at people's coins and drive myself nuts if I see a wheatie. I thought it was odd that there wasn't a shiny coin among them. In fact, they all looked pretty old and worn. My curiosity got to me and I said "Those look like old coins." She replied "Oh, yeah. They were my grandfather's." My eyes must have gotten as big as saucers and I knew I couldn't pass this up. Her cup was about half full (when full they hold about $5) and I told her I'd give her $5 for the rest. She happily agreed. Then she broke my heart by saying "Gee, I wish I had met you earlier. I've shoveled a whole bunch of these into these machines."
I wanted to cry! I thanked her (her name was April), cashed out my machine and drove home in a mood that was beyond giddy.The contents of that cup still amaze me to this day. Some 350 pennies and 99% were pre-1935. Dozens of mintmarked teens, 20s & semi-keys but none of the big dates. The only ones missing from the series were the 1909-S VDB, 1909-S, 1914-D, 1915-S, 1922, 1931PS. Some of the earlier dates were in Fine and Very Fine. It took me over a week to ID and grade them all and kept me in a state of euphoria for weeks.
Any other roll searching/collecting stories?
Upvote
0
A few months ago someone gave him a 1909 upright piano and I was looking forward to getting it open to see if anything good is inside...a clad dime and penny. Oh well...
Half of the rolls in the box were pink and had the address of the roll maker...some company in chicago, they were printed before zip codes came into play. It was awesome, I was getting like 8-10 wheats in every one of those rolls! That won't happen again any time soon, I can tell you that much! 






