What's new

Found Civil War token

kestrelia

Hero Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
587
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
While searching a box of pennies this weekend I found this Civil War token. (During the Civil War real coins were hoarded so private citizens produced tokens to use in there stead, eventually they were banned.) It's the third oldest "coin" I've found and the oldest US "coin" so far (not sure what category to put this in).
 

Attachments

  • token.webp
    token.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0
that's a WONDERFUL find. Good job. :icon_thumleft:
 
Excellent find! That coin is in great condition. Nice photo too!
Congratulations
rileyboy
 
Civil War tokens are very collectible. I've seen that one go for $15 or more at auction and that one is in great condition!

Magjm
 
:icon_thumright: beautiful find , wtg
 
Absolutely Beautiful coin no matter what you could fetch for it.

Great Job.. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
 
Great piece of history there, nice find. Is it about the same size as a normal small cent? Is it the thickness of the old copper nickel 1859-1864 cents or the newer 1864+ bronze cents?
 
It's the same size as the newer 1864+ pennies. I didn't weigh it.

Brian
 
An Awesome find indeed
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom