What's new

2025 CRH results

CJ9

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
619
Reaction score
1,902
Golden Thread
0
Location
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a total of 61.08oz of silver in 2025 compared with 105.75oz in 2024. Usually I get one or two large finds a year, and in 2025 I had 3 (halves twice and nickels once).

I have summarized my CRH data below since 2019 (since I began keeping records). What is interesting is that while there is variation over the years, excluding finding silver hoards (which I define as solid or nearly-solid rolls), the hit rate in terms of finding silver in rolls has been more consistent over the years than I would have imagined (excluding quarters, which I don't search much, and most quarter finds have been from CoinStars). For example, if you exclude solid rolls, I have typically found one dime per $155, 1 nickel (war, buffalo, and V) per $70, and 1 half (40% or 90%) per $15.

Note: some of the pictures were posted previously when I originally posted about the finds.


annual summary.webp


NICKELS: Found a lot of nickels in 2025 - 171 war nickels (of which 117 came from a hoard I found in August - there was a separate post on this back then), 18 readable-date buffaloes, 13 unreadable date buffaloes, 3 V nickels, and 1 1944 silver $2.50 peseta coin from Portugal (with a hole at the top of the coin). While I averaged 1 war or buffalo or earlier found per $43, excluding the hoard in August, nickels were harder to come by in 2025, as I averaged 1 per $115 (usually this is about 1 per $70 or so).

As part of the August hoard, I also found 4 1950D nickels (as well as the 3 V nickels).

Included in the nickel finds was a Philadelphia subway token and a coin honoring Sears' 100th anniversary in 1986 - in hindsight, guess they shouldn't have been that excited about celebrating their new century as we all know how that turned out for them. Also found 7 proof nickels and 101 Canadian nickels.
2025 buffalo nickels.webp

nickels 8-27.webp
nickels 8-27a.webp
Nickels 8-22b.webp


DIMES: I found 266 silver dimes in 2025 after searching through $38,745 worth. Of the silvers, 233 were FDR (12 of which came from CoinStar), 29 were Mercs (incl. 2 from CoinStar), 1 was a Barber from 1916, and finally 3 Canadian 80%ers. There were no hoards found, although a roll in 1/31 had 12 FDR, 2 Mercs and 1 Canadian silver. There was an old NYC subway token in one of the rolls (pre 1975, I believe) and 2 steel cents in 2 separate rolls (funny how people think those are dimes). Also found 158 Canadian dimes and 49 British 5p pieces. Silver hit rate was 1 per $146, which is about in line with the prior year's averages (ex. solid or nearly solid rolls).
2025 dimes.webp



QUARTERS: 2025 turned out to be a good year for quarters. Found 5 of them in CoinStar and 1 in a roll (the 1941) back in January of 2025. The 1968 50% Canadian silver was found at the self checkout at Stop & Shop where someone left it on top of the machine that used to spit out coupons.
2025 quarters.webp



HALVES: 2025 was a good year for halves as I found a few hoards out of the $769 that I searched overall. The first hoard was back on March 6th where I found 10 Walkers, 10 Franklins, 5 1964 JFK and 10 40%ers in $18 that I got from the teller tray at a Wells Fargo in Miami (there was a prior post on this). The second hoard was the 2 solid rolls of Walkers I got from a Wells Fargo in Manhattan on 12/15 (there was a prior separate post on this as well). On 8/28 I got 9 40% out of $5 in loose halves from a teller - he even said they were silver when he gave them to me. On 12/26, I got the 1976S proof 40% silver from a teller among some clad. I tend to have a lot of luck in getting silver halves from the teller trays.
Hit rate excluding the 2 solid rolls was 1 per $14.50 searched, which is consistent with the last number of years. I don't search boxes so the volume of halves I search overall is low (I only searched through $20 of MWR halves).
40% and some other halves 2025.webp

halves 3-6a.webp
halves 3-6b.webp
halves 3-6c.webp

halves3 12-15.webp
halves4 12-15.webp

DOLLARS: No silver, but found the 1981 P,D, and S SBA dollars and a 1979P SBA near-date.

COINSTAR: Aside from the silver dimes and quarters mentioned above, I found $45.51 at Coinstars. $16.63 of this came from one find back on 6/29. Also found $5.06 Canadian, 8.81 Euros, 74 British pence, and 12.50 Mexican pesos, as well as various other foreign coins.

Thanks for looking, HH, and good luck in 2026.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
You deserve every gram of silver. Just the amount of coinage is staggering.
Congratulations on the silver totals.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom