late....so a dumb question

captn cupcake

Apr 10, 2005
minnesota
Detector(s) used
ace 250
so it's late sitting here listening to hair guitar on direct and surfing. I was thinking does a silver coin weigh more,less or the same as it's counterpart. because if there was a difference a guy could weigh a full roll of modern coins get a base weight,then a roll with just one silver and get a base then you could just weigh out the rolls without opening and rerolling unless there was a weight difference. back in late 80's we would o this with packs of baseball cards. the packs with special cards ie.. jersey, bat cards weighed more so you would buy that pack.

Darrin

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can/could do this, but there just aren't that many 90% halves left in circulation comparatively and you would miss the 40%'s.

average coins have 0-2% weight wear from circulation.

clad half = 11.34 grams
40% half = 11.50 grams
90% half = 12.50 grams

in the old days when 40% halves were barely worth more than face this would probably be the way to go, but with silver anywhere above $20 per oz they are keepers and you can't find them consistently from weight checking.

Bigheed

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wear on coins would make it tough to determine silver or no silver

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naw blex you can always tell when the 90s are in them with a decent scale, the point is the 40%'s are to valuable now and you cannot reliably detect 1 in a roll of clad with a weight difference of .16g

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Why not just scan the rolls with a decent metal detector. You should be able to pick out the higher conductive silver coins hidden inside! :laughing7:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
fistfulladirt said:
Why not just scan the rolls with a decent metal detector. You should be able to pick out the higher conductive silver coins hidden inside! :laughing7:

Not that long ago, I had access to a handheld XRF machine. I'm wishing that I could get some time with that again. I'm certain I could scan unopened rolls of coin for silver. I'd go as far as to say that I might be able to "see" silver in unopened boxes. I have visions of scanning unopened boxes to weed out the skunks in a matter of seconds. Then, opening boxes known to have silver and finally narrowing it down to the roll before unrolling anything.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guess but it only takes 10 minutes to flip a box of halves, either way you have to pick it up and dump it.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigheed said:
naw blex you can always tell when the 90s are in them with a decent scale, ...

Not always. I have a dateless, worn thin, nearly completely smooth Walker weighing in at 11.1g.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions