In April I would have to be a fool not to hit 116 oz

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, this might be a running theme for my thread names :D I hope you enjoy them, I have been waiting all month to use it.

So.. this months goal is 116 oz to keep me on track for my 4oz a week runs. Currently I am sitting at +9.9769 ozt ahead for the month. I need 6.0231 ozt to complete my goal. Lets see how April does for me. 7 Boxes of halves due for next week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, not the worst start to April. Got only 2 boxes in today from bank 1. I was going to do banks 2 and 3 today but I didnt get a call from my teller in time to pick up and sort these 2 to get to the other 5 boxes so I will be doing those tomorrow.

Thursday I have a trip up to KC to refine 2 oz gold for a guy, so that will get me a free trip up into the city. I think I will do some CRH all day while I am up there. Looks like I will hit that special bank that I got the 4 rolls of dimes from and see how things go from there.

So.. today I did 2 Brinks boxes. Aprils goal is 116 ozt and I started the day at 109.9769 ozt.

Box 1 netted me a 2003 S Proof. From what I can find online, its 90%. Its also my first Proof Half.
Box 2 netted me a single 40% from 67.

Hey, at least no skunks to start!

So.. April sits at

1 - 2003 S Proof 90%
1 - 40% Half

0.5096 ozt found. 5.5135 ozt away from my goal of 116 ozt

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can tell if the 2003-S proof is silver or not by doing the drop test or edge test. Most 2003-S proof half dollars are junk(copper-nickel), but there are SOME 90% silver halves made that year, in a much lesser mintage of course. Nice start to April!

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Its without a doubt silver, I just was not sure if it was a 40% or 90% but all I can find online is 90% ones so I figure that is what it is.

Trust me, I have gone through more than enough bags and boxes of halves, I do the drop test on every single one, I have found halves I would have missed on the eye test because they were so grimy or they looked clad.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya all the silver proofs are 90% since they started making silver proofs again in the last what 15-20 years?

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
36d5y3.jpg
Had to post this because of the title.

Good luck on your quest. May the silver gods be with you.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Its without a doubt silver, I just was not sure if it was a 40% or 90% but all I can find online is 90% ones so I figure that is what it is.

Trust me, I have gone through more than enough bags and boxes of halves, I do the drop test on every single one, I have found halves I would have missed on the eye test because they were so grimy or they looked clad.

First proof half so I had to make sure.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Did my second half of my weekly hunt.

CW Nickels x 2 : Skunked
CW Dimes x 92 : 2 Rosies
CW Quarters x 11 : 1 Washington finally! 670 rolls searched this year so far, my first shiny W.
Brinks Box 1 : Skunked
Brinks Box 2: 2/40%
Brinks Box 3: Skunked
Brinks Box 4: 1/40%
Brinks Box 5: 16/40% and 1/90%

Also found another magicians coin, another 1974.

So.. my monthly totals are.

1 - 2003 S Proof 90%
1 - 90%
20 - 40% Half
1 - Washington Quarter
2 - Rosies

4.0068 ozt found. 2.0163 ozt away from my goal of 116 ozt

Depending on the weather tomorrow determines if I fish or not while up in KC. I am driving up to refine 2oz of gold for a friends dad who has a mine up in Montana. He is paying for my gas plus $50 to do it ( I am cheaper than the coin shop or the pawn shop ). It looks like a good possibility of rain so I might be hitting the banks around there doing more CRH trying to get that 4oz for the week.

Next week I have 6 boxes of halves to do total. I really want to up my volume just a little bit but I simply dont have the dump banks to use to do so, sadly. If I could do 8-10 boxes a week, I would be at my happiness level of CRH :D

EDITED: Got $450 in CW dimes from a dump bank of mine, netted me 2 Rosies which got me my 4 oz for the week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I went to KC and refined that gold for a friend. 2oz of raw mined flakes turned into a whole 1.61 oz of the good stuff.

I ended up doing some CRH while I was up there, lets just say, after 12 banks I finally found some halves, a bucket in a vault, $170 worth.. skunked. At that point I gave it up. I wish I had brought my fishing gear with me instead. At least I got paid to be up there so I lost nothing on the trip but gained the knowledge that I should not free style CRH in KC. In fact, I should likely call ahead of anywhere I go and only stop in if they have anything. Its just too spread out to make most CRH'ing on the road not cost effective. Maybe if gas drops back down to $2.20 a gallon but not when its nearing $4 lol.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, went to my first pick up bank up north and grabbed my 3 boxes.

Box 1: 2/40%
Box 2: Skunk
Box 3: 3/40% 2/90%

Not too bad. I had to dump so I could pick up my other 2 boxes.

Dump bank #1 went well, I only dumped $500 this week.

Dump bank #2 though was hell. Their coin machine broke mid count. After an hour they got it fixed, came up to the counter with $1049.55. I tell the teller that the count is wrong. She says, "How much higher should it be?" I tell her not higher, it should be lower, more like $998 on the dot. Well, they rerun the bag and comes back with $995, I just take the $3 hit since I did manage a nice handful of silver.

I then head off to bank #2 to pick up my other 3 boxes to take home. Its 1:30pm and I am not able to get my boxes because the vault manager has counted out her drawer and is going home. Had I been just 5 minutes earlier I would have been good.

So.. this leads to another problem. I have a new job now. Usually a new job and CRH goes hand in hand. More money to CRH with. Well, not with my hours.

Monday to Thursday - 5am to 5pm.
Friday 5am to 2:30pm
Saturday 7 to 3:30pm

Friday might be an issue, not sure yet. If the vault manager from Pickup 2 North isnt there, I need to find another buy bank. Buy Bank #1 North closes at 4pm on Friday so this will be rough. Luckly both dump banks close at 5pm on Friday so I can still dump barring no problems.

What I am thinking about doing is borrowing enough money from Family so that I can buy all my boxes at once, limit my time in the city so I can sort them at home and dump one right after another in one fell swoop to limit my time between pickups with my limited time.

Anyways.. My totals for the month are as follows.

1 - 2003 S Proof 90%
3 - 90%
25 - 40% Half
1 - Washington Quarter
2 - Rosies

5.4697 ozt found. 0.5537 ozt away from my goal of 116 ozt

I will hopefully have more to add tomorrow. I was just shy of 1.5 oz so far this week, I hope the next 3 boxes pay out with the 2.6 oz needed for 4 this week.

Last edited:

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that honesty at Dump#2 really sucked. Cost you $3 and your time.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that honesty at Dump#2 really sucked. Cost you $3 and your time.

IT cost me more than that.

It cost me $3, 1 hour of my time and just to not get shorted 3 boxes of halves this week, I need to make another trip up there tomorrow. That is another 2 gallons in gas ot $7.60 plus another hour and a half of my time.

What I most likely will do is make a trip of it.

Call up the teller, see when she will be there, hit another city to the NE that had $700 in halves at their bank ( when I was not a member ) and grab what they have, search and dump and then hit my buy bank and grab their $1500 in brinks halves. At least it will increase my odds to making it a damned good day. It adds an extra gallon to my trip but another hour lol.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the week ended pretty good.

Hit the bank with my 3 boxes that I missed on yesterday, but at least my honor is intact.

Box 1 was pretty damned good, total of 17/40% halves. The last 5 rolls alone gave me 10 or 11 silver halves. I thought I was in on a magical box with my other two.
Box 2 : Skunk
Box 3: Skunk

I dump those halves at two banks, $1000 at a credit union and I try to dump the $500 at another branch of the bank that cut me off at my home town. Well, apparently I cant dump there either, there is a note on my account lol! They wanted to charge me $50 to dump the halves. I am going to be closing my account with them shortly.

Oh well lol! So I head East to the bank that had the $700 in halves. Turns out I mistook that bank for another so I was not a member, I became one by opening a $25 savings account. They only had $480 in halves left. The teller warned me that they search them for silver so there is nothing in there. I made the comment that I only look for errors because the coins are no longer made of silver. She assured me that you can sometimes find them in circulation. I made sure she understood I dont look for silver, just errors. Anyways, I search the $480 in customer rolls and come across 3/40% halves.

I head to another bank to the sound, I decided to hit the lake at the end of the day, try to catch some fresh bait and wet 3 or 4 lines ( In the last week I know of a 57 and 90 pound blue cat being pulled from the lake and want in on the action ). The bank had produced before but that was 2 visits ago. I go in and ask for halves and get $130 in customer rolls, Skunked. I did get a single Ike from them though.

I then head to another bank to see if they have anything. I managed to grab $250 in Customer dimes. 1 Rosie came from it.

My totals for the month are as follows.

1 - 2003 S Proof 90%
3 - 90%
45 - 40% Half
1 - Washington Quarter
3 - Rosies

8.5000 ozt found. +2.4766 ozt past my goal of 116 ozt

And still 2 weeks to go! I have an unknown amount of dimes, nickels and quarters to check tomorrow when I dump my halves.

7 Boxes of halves next week as well and only 38% skunk rate this month so far, its been pretty damned good!

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done.

This week I am 11 boxes in and only 3 40% to show for it. Have 6 more to pick up hopefully one of them saves my week lol.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done.

This week I am 11 boxes in and only 3 40% to show for it. Have 6 more to pick up hopefully one of them saves my week lol.

Things here seem pretty damned constant for me so far.

Averages per month

Feb - 2.33/40% - 0.66/90% - .5862 ozt per box - 50% Skunk ( 18 boxes )
Mar - 2.28/40% - 0.45/90% - .4987 ozt per box - 55% Skunk ( 29 boxes )
Apr - 3.23/40% - 0.31/90% - .5891 ozt per box - 38% Skunk ( 13 boxes )

I figure, if I can find a way to do a minimum of 20 boxes every 2 weeks, there is almost no way I can miss my 4oz a week by just doing halves. It would also mean I would not need to buy a single oz from the shop to make sure I get my 4oz a week minimum. Right now I am doing 13 boxes every 2 weeks. I just dont know how I will be able to dump another 7 boxes at the moment. Only way I could manage it is to get yet another account opened up and that way I would have 3 more somewhat local branches to use to dump, which would get me 6 more boxes every 2 weeks, which I think would be enough. I will have to see about that, minimum is $100 to set up an account at that bank but really, it could truly be worth it with the averages I am making from my current buy bank. Another 6 boxes is about 7 oz a month extra silver into the mix. Well worth the investment.

I think I have a new plan.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things here seem pretty damned constant for me so far.

Averages per month

Feb - 2.33/40% - 0.66/90% - .5862 ozt per box - 50% Skunk ( 18 boxes )
Mar - 2.28/40% - 0.45/90% - .4987 ozt per box - 55% Skunk ( 29 boxes )
Apr - 3.23/40% - 0.31/90% - .5891 ozt per box - 38% Skunk ( 13 boxes )

I figure, if I can find a way to do a minimum of 20 boxes every 2 weeks, there is almost no way I can miss my 4oz a week by just doing halves. It would also mean I would not need to buy a single oz from the shop to make sure I get my 4oz a week minimum. Right now I am doing 13 boxes every 2 weeks. I just dont know how I will be able to dump another 7 boxes at the moment. Only way I could manage it is to get yet another account opened up and that way I would have 3 more somewhat local branches to use to dump, which would get me 6 more boxes every 2 weeks, which I think would be enough. I will have to see about that, minimum is $100 to set up an account at that bank but really, it could truly be worth it with the averages I am making from my current buy bank. Another 6 boxes is about 7 oz a month extra silver into the mix. Well worth the investment.

I think I have a new plan.

Halves are a roller coaster in my area, hot one week cold the next. If you could increase your bankroll you could make a special road trip for dumping perhaps?

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Halves are a roller coaster in my area, hot one week cold the next. If you could increase your bankroll you could make a special road trip for dumping perhaps?

Sadly that wont be the case, not right now at least. My only day to CRH will be Friday, 3pm to 5pm, due to the hours I will be working.

I have two options. This will get a little complicated.

Option 1: What I am currently doing.

Week 1 is 2 boxes from bank 1, Dump, 2 boxes from bank 2, dump, 2 boxes from bank 3, take home, search, dump 2 and then split the 3rd box among 2 banks to dump.
Week 2 is 3 boxes from bank 2, dump 1 box at one bank, dump 2 at another, then 3 more boxes from bank 3, take home and search, dump 2 boxes at one bank and then split last box on 2 banks

Option 1 right now seems nearly impossible with the time that I currently have. I have 2 1/2 hours to drive 30 minutes ( 3pm ), buy 3 boxes and search ( 4pm ), dump at two dump banks (4:45pm) get to buy bank 3 to buy 3 more boxes ( 5pm ) and woops. I have no time to dump at my other two banks.

I will be forced to do option 1 until the workload lightens up, I am still trying to figure out exactly how I will get this done. I might have to borrow the services of my mom to do some dumping but that still only gets 1 box dumped, that still leaves me with 2 boxes a week. Sadly, one of my dump banks I am not even a member of so its not like I can drop off the coin and just ask for them to deposit it into my account, lol!

Oh well.. I need to pile onto the bankroll anyways. If I have to make the purchases smaller for a while, so be it. I am ahead of the game at the moment. Things will go smoother as soon as I get more bankroll so I can just buy all my boxes in one fell swoop, search them all at home on my free time and then dump all at once among all the banks and buy all my boxes again at one time. I might end up borrowing some money from my mom to do that. Its only $3500 total for now. I figure in the next 2 months I should have enough saved to be able to buy all 10 boxes at once.

But yes, when work slows down and I have my Saturdays free again, I will be planning special outings to dump coin. It sucks to have banks so spread out. 30+ miles between branches which means, I might need to get an account with BofA one of these days.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I dumped my halves and grabbed up the dimes and nickels the dump bank had.

$255 in dimes : Skunked
$52 in nickels : Skunked

I did manage to find a Clipped Planchet Nickel in a teller tray. Not much of one but my first.

IMAG0653.jpg

IMAG0654.jpg

Sadly, the weather is horrible outside. I am stuck inside for the next 2 days with severe weather ( Possible damaging hail, winds and tornadoes ) which means no fishing but there are 4 hockey playoff games on so.. not all is lost! At least I have Hot Wings to make :D

Hopefully next week pays off for me. I hope to continue into that silver vein I had found at the end of box 1.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread