kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally picked up my FIRST EVER boxes of coins at the bank yesterday. Got one each of cents, nickels, dimes and quarters. They didn't have halves at all, but had small dollars in rolls, so tried 4 of them. The teller was really nice. Was funny watching this small-framed girl carrying the nickels, dimes and cents out all at once! While she was away, we were looking at one of the two small dollars she showed us from her till. It looked sort of like a huge cent, what with Lincoln and all, but it had no date and didn't say E PLURIBUS UNUM on it. Neither of us had seen anything like it before. So, we bought that coin as well. Get home and find out what you already know - that the Lincoln is nothing unusual!

Pulled 10 rolls out of each denomination to sample. Seems the nickels are having BY FAR the best results this trip. 6 silvers, all in pretty darn crisp condition. One 1940, one 1946 and the rest 1955, '56, '57 and '59. Have checked the newer nickels for errors and set 3 aside for a closer look later.

The quarters sample had no silver, but several '65's. Still checking the newer ones for errors and have set out a few, but still many to go. Guess I'll be lucky to get all through these things within the next month!

Haven't checked for silver in the dimes and haven't yet opened any cents.

So VERY MUCH to learn to look for!! Still, seems the best finds so far seem to have some from the loose change we already had on hand last week. :tongue3:

Data will reset in a couple days - then can post a couple pics.

Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, kcm.........
Boxes of small coins can be tough on the eyes. Be sure to have good lighting, but be careful of the glare that may come back at you. The angle you hold the coins can be critical in spotting die cracks, die chips and some of the minor errors. Hope your magnification is at least x6......less and you may miss a lot. I go through about 22,500 cents once every 3 months.......about 250 per day/night........along with change from the day and md finds from the day, about 400 coins per day/night........
Like I said, it can make the eyes a bit weary............

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an FYI...only nickels 1942-1945 with a large mintmark above the dome of Monticello are silver. it's only the dimes, quarters, and halves that were 90% silver pre 65.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an FYI...only nickels 1942-1945 with a large mintmark above the dome of Monticello are silver. it's only the dimes, quarters, and halves that were 90% silver pre 65.
Hmm...in reading the "BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING" thread, it was saying to keep all nickels pre-1960, although some people only keep pre-1956. What would be the significance of keeping these coins? ...Just an age thing?

@ Chizzy - Yes, good lighting and good magnification here. I'm a bit OCD about some things, so had purchased a USB microscope to help magnify both coins and minerals, as well as the ability to take snapshots. The first microscope I got looked like it'd be awesome! It was a Mustcam 5m Handheld Microscope - fully self-contained, had its own battery, flip-out screen, and could save pics, audio and/or video on a micro-SD card. Unfortunately, the only really good thing about it was how smoothly the focus wheel turned. So instead I got a cheap $30 USB microscope. I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH GOOD ABOUT THIS LITTLE GEM!! Yes it's cheap plastic, but that's where the bad points end. The images are amazing! I had actually bought two expecting that one might be better than the other. The ONLY difference between the two is that on one, the focus wheel is slightly more stiff. Both have amazing clarity and range of magnification!! Sadly, it won't quite zoom out far enough for me to snap an entire coin in a pic....except maybe a dime or cent....possibly a nickel, but that'd be close. Links to the 2 cameras below.

Finally finished the state quarters out of the 10-roll sample. Went back and looked through max magnification and threw all back but 6. Most are probably nothing (newbie stuff) but there's a couple that will raise some eyebrows....I think. on one, on the outermost lettering near the rim, the letters seem to blur outwards to the rim; mostly on the front but also on the back. The entire coin is crisp and shows very little wear. Some others are still super shiny, yet some or most (depending on coin) of the lettering is barely there. Also, the pictorial imprint is very shallow. Also have a 2007 Utah that, on the reverse, the upper right corner of the right-side train seems to have an extra glob of metal. Is exactly the same color as the coin and there doesn't appear to be any damage. I can't possibly see how this much metal could have been the result of some blunt force on the coin. Looks like mint to me. Those and a few others I'll post next week for some advice.

...Too bad about the nickels - was rather excited to find 1940's in there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y0BE164/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Mustcam 5M - returned)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DDJAGUS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ($27.99 last I looked - great images!!)

Last edited:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I suggest that you also get a copy of "U S Coins RED BOOK". It will help you on many questions.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, let's see if I can use up some of the remaining data without going over! :tongue3:

"on one, on the outermost lettering near the rim, the letters seem to blur outwards to the rim; mostly on the front but also on the back. The entire coin is crisp and shows very little wear."
Fri Jul 01 20-43-01.jpg
Fri Jul 01 20-54-07.jpg
Fri Jul 01 20-59-12.jpg

"Also have a 2007 Utah that, on the reverse, the upper right corner of the right-side train seems to have an extra glob of metal. Is exactly the same color as the coin and there doesn't appear to be any damage. I can't possibly see how this much metal could have been the result of some blunt force on the coin."
Fri Jul 01 00-08-00.jpg
Fri Jul 01 00-08-32.jpg
Fri Jul 01 00-09-11.jpg

Also notice on the larger left wheel, under the drive bar, the excess blob. I have tried to carefully remove these areas (both coins) using an eraser that won't even scratch plastic-lens eyeglasses. The eraser has helped remove a lot of crud allowing a better view.

Have a few more to post, but will get these done first. Oh, one more thing about the two different USB microscopes - on the first scope, there were several coins I had set aside that clearly had "something" going on with them. With the newer (cheaper) scope, the coins are clean. Helps to have decent equipment. Also, this scope has a greater depth of view, which will be nice when looking at minerals.

Thanks for the ideas on books. Have spent a LOT lately, so will have to hold off a month or two on any more spending.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a 1999 dime with varying thickness rim:

Fri Jul 01 21-01-24.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-01-43.jpg

Here's a 2000 Virginia quarter with an "L" that is nearly not there. Can't see any wear near the letter that might explain it. Any ideas?
Fri Jul 01 21-15-33.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-15-53.jpg

Here's a quarter that has what "appears" to be a damaged mint mark. Problem is, I see no markings on the coin to go along with this - no other scratches that appear to be from this. Tried zooming in, but zooming didn't show anything more. 2nd image shows a clear mint mark next to this one.
Fri Jul 01 21-24-21.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-25-33.jpg

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a 1999 Delaware quarter with an interesting "F" on the reverse:
Fri Jul 01 21-31-12.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-31-42.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-33-15.jpg

Here's a 2008 Arizona quarter with what appears to be a scratched planchet before minting:
Fri Jul 01 21-35-03.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-35-30.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-35-52.jpg

And another pre-mint scratch on a 1999 Georgia quarter:
Fri Jul 01 21-46-11.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-46-35.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-46-55.jpg

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, 2 more coins and I'm done. --cheers in the distance--

Here's a 1999 dime with what appears to be some sort of lamination defect. I absolutely have no idea on this, so a little help please?
Fri Jul 01 21-51-24.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-52-52.jpg
Fri Jul 01 21-54-31.jpg
It almost looks like the "plating" was good, but that the planchet had a low spot in it.

And finally, this is a 2015 nickel. About 40% of the reverse perimeter has no rim detail. The obverse has a VERY thin rim all around, but is very similar to the reverse as shown in the first image. Can't tell if this was done at the mint or if it's damage from getting caught up in some machine somewhere.
Fri Jul 01 22-04-00.jpg
Fri Jul 01 22-09-54.jpg
Fri Jul 01 23-24-00.jpg

Graciegirl

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
KCM,
I hope you enjoy your new hobby. I've had a lot of fun hunting coins over the past couple years. I've had my best luck with halves, then nickles. Dimes, quarters and dollars have not been too good to me, but i still do boxes occasionally. I would also recommend that you get the Red book to see what to look for. It is helpful. I have also thought about getting a USB microscope. I will try the one you recommended. Thanks.

Have fun.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through a bunch the other day. First quarter looks like it was made from a badly deteriorated die. Look for the 2015-P's with strike through errors. I found 5 in 4 boxes. They show a line through Jefferson's eyes and on the reverse you can see part of the eyes just under the memorial. I'm not sure if I'll keep any post 1950 nickels. Now the 2019-P have a low mintage but the Red Book of US coins doesn't have much of premium on any of them. Did find a key 1938-D on Thursday.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. The nickel is a misaligned die. Not enough to have any extra value. The dime is that way due to an extremely worn die. What you see on the quarters are die cracks.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Die cracks eh? Guess I best do some reading on that. Still, would the excess metal on the train be cause from a "crack"?

Also, you're right on the dime. I was thinking it was a depression in the coin. Playing with the light angle showed it is a raised area. Good call! I clearly believed there was a depression in the planchet.

Would a Die Crack also explain the crack and the misalignment of the "F" from the 1999 Delaware quarter"?

Have an interesting cent to show, but will start a new thread. This one is already too pic-heavy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions