Not the Holy Grail of Buffalo's, but I'll take it!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Still having abysmal luck with half dollar boxes - averaging 1 40% silver per 2 boxes searched lately. However, since I found a bank with nice coin counting machines again, I've started going through lesser denominations again. My modus operandi is to go to a bank (usually one I have an account with) and get $10-$15 in pennies, $20 in nickels, $100 in dimes, and $50 in quarters (really burned out on quarters), and of course ask for halves and large dollars. If any of the rolls turn out to be fruitful, I go back and take all they have if I can.

Saturday I only had time to hit one bank on my way home from work,one I hadn't been to in a long while. Got there just before closing, and got my usual allotment. Not much to speak of in quarters or cents; half the cent rolls were a copper searcher's dumps, and most of the dime rolls were as well, as I recognized the mark he puts on the wrappers. I finally got around to the nickels last night, with not very high hopes. Got in to a few rolls, and out pops a buffalo, 1936 in pretty nice condition! I hadn't run across a buffalo in over a year, and was pretty stoked. In another roll I found a 1942-P silver; again, over a year since I found one - September 1, 2018 to be exact. Got down to the last of my 10 rolls, and out pops another buffalo, dateless. I turned it over and saw a faint 'S' mint mark, which would normally make it a candidate for Nic-a-Date, but which also fortunately made me take a closer look at the reverse. Turned out the buffalo was standing on a mound, making it positively identified as a 1913-S Type 1, despite not having a date! Don't know what it's worth in this condition, but I don't really care. Super excited!

I stopped by the same bank today on my way home, and was fortunate enough to get the same teller, who graciously sold me all her remaining nickels, a full box of $100 worth, many in the same type wrappers. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• obverse.jpg
    obverse.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 83
  • reverse.jpg
    reverse.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 73
  • reverse close up.jpg
    reverse close up.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nice find. It would easily fetch $30. Someone is always looking for a confirmed hole-filler in their collection where they may not be able to afford a better grade.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I:love9: Nic-a-Date. bagged all 6 '13 Buff issues --- just got another RG'13-P:happysmiley: plus all pre-'20's have been rescued.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread