Deus hears good targets below iron - first time Ive seen this...

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ummmm .... I have no clue what this means and this link does nothing. :icon_scratch:

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting video thanks for sharing. I have not tried running above 3, but may give it a try at a site.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting video, thanks! To be fair though the last time he swings the XP DEUS over the target its not a full sweeps like all the others.

Also and mainly the FBS Minelab detectors need the ground matrix of long time buried targets to perform correctly. The CTX 3030 air test terrible. In reality this is just an air test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Carter NY

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting video, thanks! To be fair though the last time he swings the XP DEUS over the target its not a full sweeps like all the others.

Also and mainly the FBS Minelab detectors need the ground matrix of long time buried targets to perform correctly. The CTX 3030 air test terrible in reality this is just an air test.

Actually I changed the sweep speed going fast then slow and the Deus heard the quarter below the iron no matter what speed. The other machines would not respond regardless of the sweep speed.

You are correct about the fact that all good targets which have been in the ground will read better than air tested targets.

Thanks for watching.

Carter

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Also and mainly the FBS Minelab detectors need the ground matrix of long time buried targets to perform correctly. The CTX 3030 air test terrible in reality this is just an air test.

You are right Bart.
With the Deus he is swinging between the two nails and not making a full pas over the iron like he did with the other machines. Good money says that i can do the same thing with my CTX.Basically isolating the target.
If you are going to do a test between machines at least try to duplicate each one as close as possible.

Entertaining at least i got to here what sounds some of the other machines make.

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not knowing what setting you are using on the CTX i had to try your test myself. Space between the two center nails5 1/2 inches with quarter dead center.
My settings are
Tone profile-Combined
Seperation-Ferrous coin
Fast-on
Deep-off
Response-long

Ferrous line set at 24
Everything rejected below the 24 line.
Last co bin set at 36

Had no problem hitting the quarter with ever sweep using the 11 in coil.

Could you provide your setting on theCTX.

You know i likethe Deus also and i will never say that the CTX is as fast as it is but the test you showed is not a accurate repesentation of the CTX.

F

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant be serious with that video???

OP
OP
C

Carter NY

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not knowing what setting you are using on the CTX i had to try your test myself. Space between the two center nails5 1/2 inches with quarter dead center.
My settings are
Tone profile-Combined
Seperation-Ferrous coin
Fast-on
Deep-off
Response-long

Ferrous line set at 24
Everything rejected below the 24 line.
Last co bin set at 36

Had no problem hitting the quarter with ever sweep using the 11 in coil.

Could you provide your setting on theCTX.

You know i likethe Deus also and i will never say that the CTX is as fast as it is but the test you showed is not a accurate repesentation of the CTX.

F

I believe you will hear a quarter with the CTX and other machines if you move the nails 5 1/2 inches apart. In my test, the block of wood I removed was 3" wide. Moving the nails farther apart makes a huge difference on the iron masking effect.

What also makes a difference is the size of your nails. With very thin/smaller nails, the quarter will read through the iron.

The whole purpose of the test was to see if the Deus's claims were true. I have known for a long time about the phenomena of not being able to hear good targets below iron so I set the nails wide enough apart to the point where the other machines could not hear the quarter. Once I got to this point, I tested the Deus and their claims were true! They have some serious processing speed!

In the video, when testing the Deus with the iron volume on, I was only swinging between the nails but when I turned the iron volume off, I was swinging beyond the nails and was still able to hear the quarter "chirp" regardless of the swing speed. Start watching at the 2:40 point in the video and you'll see I slowed the CTX down. The quarter was about 4" away from the coil and the screen was wide open (to hear everything), Deep was OFF, Fast ON, Ferrous-Coin.

Regarding your comment "the test you showed is not a accurate representation of the CTX" ; The good thing about these sort of tests is that they are very repeatable. I encourage what you have done by doing the test yourself but I think when you try the test again with the nails closer as in my video, you will see the CTX simply does not have the processing speed of the Deus.

Different machines (like the CTX) have advantages over the Deus in other areas, but regarding hearing good targets below iron, the Deus works.

Carter

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so the block of wood was 3" wide now add the distance between the nails and the edges of the opening. There is no way that there isonly 3" between the nails in the video. So really the size of the block means nothing.

Once again what are the setting you are using on the CTX and have you any time on the CTX along with the othe machnes you tested.
I also used a wide open screen and one with everything from FE 24 to 35 disc.(all iron) out which would cripple most machines.

I dont want to start a pi%^&ng match but please tell us how far apart the nails are in the video.I could only guess by looking at the quarter and other things. As fa as size of nails i used a 3" and one approx 2 1/2" but both are a solid cake of rust.

As i said the Deus is a good machine but the CTX is better than what you protraied in the video.

Also you may or may not know that even if you were using ferrous/coin ,deep off and fast on does not mean the machine was set right to see the quarter.More info should be provided,as it stands right now i dont think you had the CTX set up right.
My setting are more complex than the ones you stated.

The jest of this is dont bash a machine with these type of test if you dont know how to set it up.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's an interesting vid.

I just recreated it and ran 3 of my detectors through it.

The AT Pro with its 5x8 couldn't pick the coin out. I tried all kinds of iron disc and running it with & without AI. No settings were better than any other. All iron tones or silent, nothing that would indicate a dig signal.

My Fisher CZ-3D (stock 8" coil) did surprisingly well. It hit really well when sweeping the the whole board in both directions and when just over the coin in both directions. I ran my disc at 1. At zero it didn't fair very well. I never run my disc over one anyway.

The little Compadre failed too. No dig signal no matter where the disc was set.

I typically run my ATP when I'm in heavy iron areas. I may need to rethink this and switch to my CZ!

Carter,
I no longer have my Dues, but I'd like to know what program or what settings you were running. Where were your tone breaks set?

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My setting are more omplex than the ones you stated.

TL,

What setting would you use with your CTX in this test or in iron?

I have both machines so I have both dogs in this fight.

Thanks,
Greg

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TL,

What setting would you use with your CTX in this test or in iron?

I have both machines so I have both dogs in this fight.

Thanks,
Greg

The ones I posted in reply number 8 above.

Hate that my injection seems to come across as a fight but when someone post videos with so many machines I can't help but wonder how well they can know any of them. I did not comment on any of the other machines because I know nothing of them.
One thing I do know is the CTX will hit the quarter.I described my settings and the spacing that I used on the objects.

Look we all want to feel that the machine we have is unrivaled but at some point we need to realize it my not be completely true.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look we all want to feel that the machine we have is unrivaled but at some point we need to realize it my not be completely true.

I agree no machine is unrivaled in some aspect of metal detecting. Even though I have two very nice detectors there any number of PI machines that would put either one to shame looking for nuggets.

Different tools for different jobs and people have different abilities to use them in creative ways. I have much to learn with my CTX and I have had it well over a year and the Deus less than 4 months.

I very much appreciate all that share their knowledge and experiences. Even if the conclusions they draw can be questioned by others there is often still an opportunity to learn something.

OP
OP
C

Carter NY

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree no machine is unrivaled in some aspect of metal detecting. Even though I have two very nice detectors there any number of PI machines that would put either one to shame looking for nuggets.

Different tools for different jobs and people have different abilities to use them in creative ways. I have much to learn with my CTX and I have had it well over a year and the Deus less than 4 months.

I very much appreciate all that share their knowledge and experiences. Even if the conclusions they draw can be questioned by others there is often still an opportunity to learn something.

Thank you for understanding what the tests are all about. There is not one machine for all situations. Showing the strengths of one machine in a certain situation is not "bashing" the other machines. I have used the CTX extensively and have hundreds of hours with it.... check my other videos and you will see a lot of CTX praise. I have only had the Deus about two weeks and two weekends ago, in New Hampshire at the BONE hunt, I had a lot of success with it.

Regarding settings used on the Deus for this video, Sensitivity 90, Disc 10, Reactivity 4, Silencer 1, GB 90, Frequency 18kHz

Carter

OP
OP
C

Carter NY

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an interesting vid.

I just recreated it and ran 3 of my detectors through it.

The AT Pro with its 5x8 couldn't pick the coin out. I tried all kinds of iron disc and running it with & without AI. No settings were better than any other. All iron tones or silent, nothing that would indicate a dig signal.

My Fisher CZ-3D (stock 8" coil) did surprisingly well. It hit really well when sweeping the the whole board in both directions and when just over the coin in both directions. I ran my disc at 1. At zero it didn't fair very well. I never run my disc over one anyway.

The little Compadre failed too. No dig signal no matter where the disc was set.

I typically run my ATP when I'm in heavy iron areas. I may need to rethink this and switch to my CZ!

Carter,
I no longer have my Dues, but I'd like to know what program or what settings you were running. Where were your tone breaks set?

Fella,

I customized my program including setting different tones for number (conductivity) ranges. Its all about personal preference when it comes to the tones. Here are the settings: 18kHz, Reactivity 4, Silencer 1, Disc 10, Sensitivity 90.

With your CZ having an 8" coil, that should help a little. The results you got with your ATP are typical when trying to hear good targets below the iron level. The coils in the video were all 11" round or elliptical which makes it a little more challenging.

Bottom line is the effect of targets below iron is real and I'm excited about the Deus. I still love my CTX and would not think about getting rid of it but in certain areas, I'll be using the Deus.

Carter

OP
OP
C

Carter NY

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so the block of wood was 3" wide now add the distance between the nails and the edges of the opening. There is no way that there isonly 3" between the nails in the video. So really the size of the block means nothing.

Once again what are the setting you are using on the CTX and have you any time on the CTX along with the othe machnes you tested.
I also used a wide open screen and one with everything from FE 24 to 35 disc.(all iron) out which would cripple most machines.

I dont want to start a pi%^&ng match but please tell us how far apart the nails are in the video.I could only guess by looking at the quarter and other things. As fa as size of nails i used a 3" and one approx 2 1/2" but both are a solid cake of rust.

As i said the Deus is a good machine but the CTX is better than what you protraied in the video.

Also you may or may not know that even if you were using ferrous/coin ,deep off and fast on does not mean the machine was set right to see the quarter.More info should be provided,as it stands right now i dont think you had the CTX set up right.
My setting are more complex than the ones you stated.

The jest of this is dont bash a machine with these type of test if you dont know how to set it up.

All the settings are spelled out in this new video below; instead of assuming my CTX is not set up correctly, why don't you share your settings and I'll plug them in my CTX?. This time I used a smaller coin and tried hearing it about 2" from the coil. I only tested the Deus vs the CTX.

Last edited:

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good video Carter. Did you happen to try any other frequencies with the Deus to see if they made any difference to the results shown?

OP
OP
C

Carter NY

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good video Carter. Did you happen to try any other frequencies with the Deus to see if they made any difference to the results shown?

Good question. At 12kHz it was no more than an occasional crackle. At 8kHz and 4kHz not a sound.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread