Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A member on the board who manages a historic land site contacted me last summer to dowse the area. There is still a little land next to it not yet secured. Recently got some more feedback. This will go for a display in their museum. I don't know much about the site, except a village there was Roman Catholic.

Here is the letter I got last Monday, from the archaeologist who requested the map dowsing. I'll omit the name at the end.

Randy,

Back over the summer you dowsed some photos for me of a site i am associated with.
Just an update on finds.

Numerous brass and silver buttons
Plethora of nails (rose heads and later)
The smallest, domed tack
A tiny, copper childs thimble
A copper indian bracelet
2 Mercury head dimes
2 very old iron ax heads
Half of a large copper band
Arrow heads, flint and such
All kinds of iron "what nots"
A clay marble that I know dates to between 1782 and 1801 (by the location it was found).

And, something I cannot even begin to describe. Its still in the ground but looks like a
stone slab with what can only be described as (for lack of a better way to describe it)
the points of 2 german helmets at each end that rise up about 6 inches from the slab.
thought i had the picture saved on my computer, but cannot find it now.

Anyway, thanks a million for your help. and, may I ask for your help again?

Attached is an ariel image of some land in my posession that at one time was part of the tract of land
where the above items came from. Would you please dowse it at your convenience to see what appears?

it was used as a horse farm at one point in its past and prior to that there was a mine of some sort on the lad and I have found numerous horse shoes and other iron & metal "what nots" all around. looking for any coin areas, artifacts, bottle dumps, etc... as well as any possible relics.
Image is attached in both jpg and as a bmp.

Thank you,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cochetopa! I think it was on either a thread you started or one you had been posting on, that I'd mentioned the email letter (last summer) from the Arkie on the land management board. I'm going to check my folder where dowsing emails are kept. Recently needed to delete some of them, had so many to look through.....would be a shame if it was in the clean up. Anyway, in the preliminary check of a few of my hits, the finds were mentioned in one of those emails. Think it was an assortment of buttons, an old cellar hole that had musket balls all around it. From what the Arkie said, the musket balls appear to have been fired down, probably where trees used (ones no longer there). Then period spoon handles, pottery, Indian artifacts, old nails, etc.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is so nice, to get feeedback along with a few pics of finds. I've put together a couple quotes from emals, to comment briefly on them. Here is something important to start with from the email above.

"And, something I cannot even begin to describe. Its still in the ground but looks like a
stone slab with what can only be described as (for lack of a better way to describe it)
the points of 2 german helmets at each end that rise up about 6 inches from the slab."

I mentioned in my reply, how stone slabs have been found at certain Spanish sites. Also mentioned KGC had a similar system of marking their caches. It's been said that archaeologists/historians don't browse treasure hunting forums to learn about carved stone or other treasure signs & markers. Here is the reply back on KGC markers.

"KGC: Knights of the Golden Camilla-by chance? Did a history thesis on the origin of the Klan."

By this time I'm sharing info about carved tree or stone marker sites on the Gulf Coast. Now it all makes sense, note the reply again here.

"Interesting mention of bayous. This slab is in a "marshy/swampy" area between two cypress trees
This is the only area of (name of state edited out) I've ever seen these trees. Just up a short way is the largest &'oldest buckeye tree I've ever seen. Easily 150 years old."

Being a Roman Catholic village, the next step was to suggest there might be a cache site in the area.

"Yes that slab is a mystery. If there is anything under it, that would be a real find. Problem is that its location will cause a lot of curiosity from the already "Nosy Nellies" who live close by."
I am on the board of an 17th Century site/village."

Then back to the original contact email, with a dowsing request to cover the entire historical site. And also two zoomed in close maps on important areas.

"My fellow board members have been after me to MD around the site to see what artifacts, etc...
can be recovered. I have been hesitant to do this because of the size. Anything I find will be going into the site's on-site museum not only with my name, but your name also as "Co-Founder".

The pics below, first thought it looked some sharp shootet hit the bottom of old bottles. The more close examinig while getting the photos ready.....realized the glass objects are on very small Native American flints. Now the ends appear to be shaped perhaps resembling a vial.

Gold artifacts recovered from Spanish galleons, one type has a small vial containing oil for anointing kings or the sick. The vial may not only have oil in it, sometinmes a little sand from the Holy Land. Then other gold artifacts had a little wick with oil, meant to be used as a lamp. It seems these might have sealed openings, is really hard to tell on the photos. The ends are not like a glass fuse from when homes used them in the electrical box. I need to do some research to find out for sure what is shown here.

Edited Update: The glass objects turned out to be vials, but not from gold artifacts, neither are they of Spanish origin. I posted pics of the glass vials in the shipwreck board. Someone who researches finds made on the 1715 Fleet on the Florida coast identified them. Medicine vials from the fur traders, the site must have been a mission to Native Americans, then later a French trading post.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/346993-vial-gold-artifacts.html

" Hi Red_ desert,
What a beautiful artifact! I believe your vial is of a date range from 1760-1850, and not of Hispanic origin. It was likely pharmaceutical, holding a medicine. Vials like those were carried by the fur traders and explorers who conquered the North American frontier. The military also had them as part of their official supplies. Many were given to Indian leaders as gifts for better relationships and to entice them to bring in better furs. Based on archaeological reports, is not uncommon to discover these containers within Indian burials and Native camps. Perhaps the area you speak of was once an occupied mission spot and then developed into a post with other purposes. I have researched the French occupation up through the Midwest quite thoroughly, but mostly that history of an earlier period, directly related to my 1715 Fleet study and writing. PM me, though, if you are interested in some of my references which should help give a better understanding to this intriguing find.
Laura J "

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_2f.jpg
    Arkie_finds_2f.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Arkie_finds_3.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Arkie_finds_3-01.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3-01.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Arkie_finds_3-02.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3-02.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Arkie_finds_3-03.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3-03.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless this is the clay marble (mentioned in the email), must be one of the very old musket balls found.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_3a.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3a.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an archaeologist, so can't identify everything here. There is a silver buckle in one of the pics.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_2c.jpg
    Arkie_finds_2c.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Arkie_finds_2a.jpg
    Arkie_finds_2a.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Arkie_finds_2e.jpg
    Arkie_finds_2e.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Arkie_finds_3c.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3c.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Arkie_finds_3b.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3b.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this might be the child's thimble with the clay marble. Many of these items now are non-metallic finds.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_2b.jpg
    Arkie_finds_2b.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Arkie_finds_3d.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3d.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some are quite obvious, to be of Native American origin.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_1d.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1d.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Arkie_finds_1c.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1c.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 113
  • Arkie_finds_1b.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1b.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Arkie_finds_1a.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1a.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Arkie_finds_1.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 123
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be a few scrapers included too, it takes an expert to identify stuff like this.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_2d.jpg
    Arkie_finds_2d.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Arkie_finds_2.jpg
    Arkie_finds_2.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Arkie_finds_1f.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1f.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Arkie_finds_1e.jpg
    Arkie_finds_1e.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The post above on the glass vials has been updated. Glass objects were identified as "vial is of a date range from 1760-1850, and not of Hispanic origin. It was likely pharmaceutical, holding a medicine. Vials like those were carried by the fur traders and explorers who conquered the North American frontier."

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Great story and photos. It just lends credence to our dowsing abilities, and being of service to those who want and need them. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A recent button find, a whole bunch more were found at the dig yesterday.

I've wondered about how the "spikes" seem to point almost straight up. Obviously they don't indicate any direction, unless a shadow falls on a symbol. Because there are 2 of them, located between the only 2 known cypress trees in the area......perhaps could maybe be a marker for something around those trees.

Then I've thought it could be sun pointers also. If the shadow of one point falls on the other at winter and summer solstice, could be of Native American origin.

Digging out around the huge stone described as "stone slab with what can only be described as (for lack of a better way to describe it)
the points of 2 german helmets at each end that rise up about 6 inches from the slab."

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_3e.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3e.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Arkie_finds_3f.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3f.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this pic, you can see the raised up part of the stone slab better. Also one of the cypress trees.

Attachments

• stone_slab1.jpg
    stone_slab1.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 114
  • cypress1.jpg
    cypress1.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I'd said "a bunch of buttons" but not really sure how many, since don't have photos for them yet. The "Archie" now has a pair of dowsing rods, learning to check out the spots I had marked on the maps (sing the metal detector). Some other finds include a stone pendant, pottery shards, 2 pieces of petrified wood, 5 "stoney irons" which I'm assuming must be meteorites. Then looks like the other very old axe head found.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_4f.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4f.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Arkie_finds_4b.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4b.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Arkie_finds_4a-01.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4a-01.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Arkie_finds_4a.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4a.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Arkie_finds_4.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not quite sure what everything here is, but will look ok in a case, with my name on it as "co-founder" of the museum display. A couple pieces of old glass added too.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_4d.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4d.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Arkie_finds_4c.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4c.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Arkie_finds_5a.jpg
    Arkie_finds_5a.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Arkie_finds_5.jpg
    Arkie_finds_5.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Arkie_finds_4e.jpg
    Arkie_finds_4e.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cochetopa/Jim, I'll try to get some more pics up soon!

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention the coral fossils in there......the museum board member doing the digs, has leaned to use L-rods to check for signals. I've sent a few of my illustrations. Here are a couple email quotes------"Very interesting. I do believe people "find" what they "need" to find if they're open enough to the concept. Stand to reason dowsing would be the same way."-----"Yes, I did notice a few times rods crossing when the object was really located to the left or right of the crossing spot. Especially so while trying to teach my mother. She usually got this response."-----"Ya, what's with one rod going off in its own direction?? Both pointing straight ahead, then suddenly one seems to want you to make a 90 degree turn. Strange. Follow that direction?? What if "both" rods should point left/right? Is that even feasible?"------"Would be interested in seeing your rod illustration that you mentioned. Planing to use the rods and your marking from last year at the historical site to nail down that lost cemetery. I now believe I know the area and orientation of it in relation to the "known" cemetery."-----GO "ARKIES" GO!!!!!!

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been so busy, sorry about not getting more pics up sooner. Here is an assortment of glass and pottery shards, some are quite colorful. This gives me a new appreciation for the work done by museums, archaeologists. and historians.

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_5b.jpg
    Arkie_finds_5b.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Arkie_finds_5c.jpg
    Arkie_finds_5c.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Arkie_finds_5d.jpg
    Arkie_finds_5d.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Arkie_finds_5e.jpg
    Arkie_finds_5e.jpg