Want to DO map dowsing?

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you be interested in saving many hours of work in your search for your interest item? I'd like to share with you what has worked for me over the years.
You don't need perpetual dowsing lessons to have it work for you, just the basics and you take it from there.
The exercises below were chosen for their simplicity in making locations on a map, enabling you to get into the field quicker for your recoveries. These excercises get you up close and personal with your map work and really get you involved with it.
There is no reason to feel that you are invading someone's personal space when it comes to map dowsing.
The pinpointing excercises were thrown in there if you would like to challenge yourself more, but they are'nt needed to make a successful location on a map.
That's what map dowsing enables us to do...narrowing down the search area.The better the scale/accuracy of your map/photo/sketch...the better your dowsing. It's also very difficult to match up certain scale maps to the terrain.
Like it was mentioned before, map dowsing is a starting point, but what's the point of making 10 locations on a map if you cannot make one in the field? The proof and the truth of the map work will be revealed in the field.
Before we get started I would like you to be sure of your reactions with your instruments, study the posts by Art, Dell and others. My information here will be dealing with the single L-rod and the pendulum for map work.You need to be able to undestand what your instruments are telling you.(what your yes and no are) I'm sure you've heard of people who were or are code talkers, well, dowsers are code receivers. (SEE ESTABLISHING YOUR DOWSING CODES BELOW)You can expect the same reactions over the map as your do in the field,(a pull and lock of the rod,and a swing of the pendulum towards your target)so I would like you to practice in and around your home on your item of interest and get that down pat.
I'd like you to realize that these methods are what work for me and are simple excercises for you to start with. In the beginning you may experience fatigue as your nervous system is adjusting to the dowsing procedure.When you do,just take a break and resume once you've become refreshed again.Over time and with practice this fatigue will subside.If you practice often,in about a month your mental agility and concentration will improve multi fold and the ability to find objects on a map will become easier for you. I've found that you have to put yourself into your dowsing. Become a team with your instruments,but let them work for you.There are many,many other methods of map dowsing exercises that work,and many on the forum here will suggest them,I urge you to try them and find what works for you as you are developing your particular style of dowsing.
DO YOU NEED HIGH END EQUIPMENT TO DOWSE WITH?
No.You may make your own rods from coathangers or brass/copper, wood.
You may make a pendulum using a steel hex nut and some string to start out with.
Most people as they progress move into something a little more sophisticated such as a crystal pendulum or brass pendulum or rods with bearing type handles. I want to suggest choosing an instrument that you are drawn to naturally,whatever the material type or mechanically how it works.
I've tried all types of instruments from crude constructed L-rods and pendulums all the way up to manufactured equipment. The differences between them can be compared to driving from the east coast of the country to the west coast in a pinto vs. a cadillac..you will still get there. No matter what the quality and what bells/whistles the instrument has, you are what makes dowsing work more so than the instrument, you still need to understand what it is telling as you do your searching.
If you have something that is working for you wether it's a dowsing technique or a particular instrument there is no reason to change that. Everyone is different and everyone gets different movements for yes and no answers. The important thing is that you are getting a reaction that you can interpret all the way through to your recovery.To each their own.
ESTABLISHING YOUR DOWSING CODES (yes and no)
With a pair of ANGLE RODS:
Hold the rods as you would 2 pistols,with your arms tucked slightly at your side, then look at the tip of at least 1 rod and ask: What is our yes answer to a question?
Watch what they do, for most people they cross inward but for some people they swing outward or one of the rods may move and the other not. Practice this for awhile until you get a repeatable response then draw what your yes answer is on a index card. Repeat this excercise to obtain your no answer. Don't forget to label each rod.. right hand and left hand and always pick them up this way.
SINGLE L-ROD:
Hold the rod in your writing hand and follow the same procedure as you did for the angle rods.
PENDULUM:
Hold your pendulum at the end of it's chain about 1 foot from yourself and chest high with your arm and wrist in a sort of curve downward with your other fingers curved down and spread apart looking at the tip of the pendulum and ask: What is our yes answer to a question?
Common movements for a yes are a clockwise circle or a swing to and fro. Practice this until you get a repeatable code for both yes and no then draw what that is on an index card.
Sometimes the instruments will want to change up on you, if this happens, just ask them to go back to your original codes.(index card dwg.) It's very important to your success to let your yes mean yes and you no mean no.
HOW DOES THIS APPLY TO MAP/FIELD WORK?
Once your codes are established,you may use what's called information dowsing to initally inquire about something requiring a yes/no answer. For example, hold your instrument over your photo and ask "Is the gold coin cache I seek anywhere in the area represented by this photo?" then just wait for your yes/no. When in the field you may ask,"Am I facing in the direction of the buried gold coin cache?" and wait for your yes/no. Once you get a yes then walk that direction line with the instrument in it's proper position. Walking with the instruments will require lots of practice.When you are over the target you will get your yes answer again with whatever instrument you are using.
Remember that when you practice the map dowsing excercises below that your pendulum will swing to the location,then give you your yes when you are over the hot spot. With the L-rod it will swing and lock in the direction of the target.

SO HOW DO WE BEGIN ?
Let's start with the SINGLE L-ROD.
Most people feel that this instrument is the instrument of choice for map and field work beacause it gives you the most noticable and easiest to interpret answer. You'll need a table about waist high, so that when you are standing with your L-rod you are as comfortable with it here as you are in the field,and your level antenna should be between 2 to 6 inches above your map. You will also need 2 wood dowel rods 1/4" dia. x however long you need to cover your map, a ruler, pencil, masking tape and your 2 coins. I use 2 1/4"x 24"plexiglass strips in place of the wood dowel rods (SEE PICTURE BELOW) You will also need a sketch of your property (however you want to obtain that) it can be to scale or hand drawn. Try to show things accurately. Or use a floor plan dwg. of your house. I suggest starting out in a small and familiar area before you move on into larger areas and blind locations to map dowse.
1) I'd like you to stand (if you are able) like you do in your field searches when you do map work.(Does anyone
dowse sitting down in the field?) Have your helper hide the silver coin/object. Find a quiet place in your home
free of negative vibes and distractions when you do your map work.
2) Align one of your north and south margin lines of your map with true north/south or magnetic north/south
where YOU are doing the map work using a compass then tape the corners of your map down so that it is flat
on the table. Hold the coin in your opposite hand or tape it to the rod.
Stand at whatever side of the table you want and pick up the L-rod and let it warm up.
3) Your state of mind should be calm, cool and collected or your normal natural self.
Just relax and breathe normally.
4) Position your L-rod pointing straight ahead with your arm tucked gently at your side. Look at
the tip of the rod and pose this question silently in your mind while picturing the silver coin in your mind:
Where in this dwg.on my property now, (below or on) the earth's surface is a silver coin? or cache of silver
coins? (be specific about what you are asking).The tone and tempo of this question should be like it is when
you ask a friend of yours a question when you are in a calm state of mind. Try to picture the words you are
thinking and have the image of the silver coins(s) in your mind's eye.
If you are having problems concentrating on this question,you may write it down and read it to yourself silently. Eventually,with practice,you will be able to call to mind this question and hold the image of your search item in your mind's eye to perform this part of the exercise with no problem.
Remember that you dowse as you think, not just with the mental pictures but with the words you choose as you pose questions to your instruments, so do your best to focus on what you are doing.
4a) If you want to dowse the map several times and get an average of your hot spots another option would be to
go and get 5 to 6 sheets of white xerox type paper and place a sheet over the map for every dowse you do. Then you won't be distracted by the previous mark you made the dowse before. When you are done with the 6 sheets of paper, then hold them up to the light and see how close all the dots are you made for each dowse. I feel that if you can cover all the dots with a dime size coin then you are close enough to proceed into the field. Eventually you will be able to dowse w/o using the 5 or 6 sheets of xerox paper.
Try to strive for this accuracy with any scale map, photo or sketch.
5) Now keep the silver coin image in your mind's eye the best you can (and at the same time you may also
picture the words "silver coin" in your mind's eye and silently say it to yourself) and begin to sweep the rod
smoothy and with the tip of the rod slightly tipped down 1/8" to 1/4" from level over the dwg, keeping the
antenna between 2 to 6 inches from the surface of the map (or a comfortable height as you
sweep the rod so that you are not stooping over the map)
6) As you sweep and continue to look at the tip of the rod's antenna, turn your hips as you sweep slowly left and
then right (just like you do in the field) a few times over the drawing, keeping the rod from wandering
aimlessly, but don't try and control it.
7) As you are sweeping, let the rod do the work, just like a hunter who lets his dog go out in
search of game. At some point your rod will lock, hold this position and grab your dowel rod or
ruler to mark this direction line. If you use a ruler, just draw a light line on the dwg.
8) Now step around the table 90 deg. and repeat the excercise. Where the 2 dowel rods intersect
is the area where your object of interest is located. Circle this area with a pencil. Depending
on your map scale, this may be sufficient for you to go to the field for your recovery, or look in
your home/property for the object.
9) Keep your questions simple and to the point and of a yes or no type inquiry. I word mine this way beacause
your unconscious mind needs to know that you are referring to a place in or on the ground, right now in time,
and that's when the dowsing reaction (transposition) will occur. Your map is just a reference, pointing out the
true location of your item in the field.
SOME HINTS BEFORE YOU MAP DOWSE WITH THE PENDULUM
Let's talk about the design of the pendulm for a moment. Most people hold it by the end of it's
chain, but did you know that you can tune the pendulum to the object of your search?
By not tuning it, it's like listening to a musician who's instrument is out of tune.
Tuning the pendulum let's us zero in on it's "sweet spot" on the chain for a given item.
For every pendulum this is a different spot,but once you find it, I have not found that it changes.
HOW TO TUNE YOUR PENDULUM TO AN OBJECT:
1) Hold your pendulum so that your thumb and index finger are at the top of the pendulum and
let the chain slip very slowly through your fingers over a silver coin,keeping your eyes on the tip (or
bottom) of the pendulum and keeping the tip of the pendulum about 2" above the coin as you let the chain
slip through your thumb and index finger. At some point the pendulum will start to
circle or give you your yes answer very emphatically.
2) Mark this part of the chain with paint or fingernail polish as this is your tuning for the silver
coin on the chain with this particular pendulum.
HOW TO TUNE YOUR PENDULUM TO YOURSELF:
This is if you want to ask the pendulum ?'s about yourself or if you don't know what you are
looking for on the map just yet.
1) Take your non dowsing hand turn it palm side up and follow the above procedure for tuning a
pendulum.
FOR MAP DOWSING WITH THE PENDULUM:
1) You've tuned it to your object. Place the edge of your silver coin against the chain while it's
being held between your thumb and index finger or you may leave the silver coin on the corner
of your map like you did with the L-rod dowse.
2) Just like with the L-rod stand and hold your pendulum at the bottom of the map, pose your silent
question, look at the tip of the pendulum, concentrate on your silver coin image.(see #5 L-rod)
3) Just like the L-rod, let the pendulum do the work for you, and follow the swing line over the
map, mark this line with the dowel rods/ruler under the swinging pendulum.
4) Step 90 deg. over, repeat your silent question and picture your silver coin image in your mind's
eye, follow the swing line of the pendulum, lay the dowel rod on this line under the swinging pendulum and
circle the area where your dowels intersect. This is your area of interest where your item is located.
You may elect to practice your accuracy using the xerox sheets as described above. (see L-rod 4a)
One easy way to develop your mind's eye image concentration is to obtain pictures of what you are looking for and practice gazing upon them and holding the image in your mind's eye for as long as you can, keeping your eyes open.Then combine this when you dowse with your instruments and you will have success.
Once again these are the methods that work for me and I hope that by reading, trying and practicing all the methods from everyone on the forum that it will make you a better person and dowser.
So there you have it, there is nothing mysterious about map dowsing. We can't see the wind but we do see it's effects, and we can't see the thousands of invisible radio waves, but we hear the proof of them. So too with dowsing. When the rod led early humans to wild game, do you think they wondered how or why it worked that way?
Dowsing will work for you if you allow it, just be positive, patient, practice daily if you can, become it's friend and put your whole mind, body and soul into it and your efforts won't be for naught.
Buy out the time to prove it to yourself that it works.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and giving the excercises a try.
Wishing you success in all your treasure hunting endeavors.
Jon

Attachments

• markingalockline.jpg
    markingalockline.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 598

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Re: Want to try map dowsing?

Hey Jon...I for one will study and try your methods. That is the way I learn. You can reseach every record that you can find. In the end you need to have a starting point. Then you need "tools" to find it. If your going to use a Dowsing rod you have to practice until you know what they are telling you. I have dug a lot of gold under 1 foot in depth. I have also dug a lot of gold that was deeper.

When I say you need "tools" I am not talking about just Dowsing rods. I use any and all equipment that I can get my hands on. I have dug many two foot deep holes for a little micro gold. My own personal depth that I will dig is 2 1/2 feet. Anything deeper I will decide if I think there is something worth my trouble to dig. I will bring other equipment in to find out the size and make up of the object.

I hope a lot of people jump in and let us know what is working for them...Art

OP
OP
teleprospector

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello Art,
Thank you for your post.
I found your "want to try dowsing?" quite facinating.
I printed it out to save with my dowsing information collection.
I like to make notes of what I'm doing when dowsing....it takes time..but worth it.It's also very nice to have friends that don't believe in dowsing(but remain neutral) to help you out. If it was'nt for them I could'nt do what I do today.
Is'nt it weird that 2 or more people can present the same thing and yet only what one said really drives the point home for you?
I've always approached dowsing with a humble spirit.....I often ask what will I learn today about it? The day that I pick up that rod and not learn something new is the day I throw it all in the trash! (lol)
I agree with you on the tools,I've been successful here in Michigan with the 2 box type units and I'd like to try out one of those newer units that produce the computer image of whats underground. I believe you about the depth,I won't go over 5 feet here beacause of safety issues,if I need a machine to dig something,out come the safety authorities so it's real tricky to deal with beacause of all the construction excavation cave in's that have happened here and probably in other states too.
So many people out there buy instruments that come with little or no instructions on how to get started.(myself included!)
I hope that the readers here too will give dowsing a try with the different instruments and suggestions and let us know how things are going for them.
Jon

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

So many people out there buy instruments that come with little or no instructions on how to get started.(myself included!)

I agree with that. Those people that write instructions assume you know how these things operate.
I just spent 3 weeks in St. Clair MI...No gold but I had a good time...I did find a few spots that had a good layer of blue clay.....Art

BF750

Aug 2, 2007
NEPA, PA

teleprospector said:
Would'nt you all agree that Art's posts on trying dowsing were awesome?
How thankful we all should be for him and all the other folks who share their methods of dowsing with us!

Hello Tele,

I agree, I have read all of Arts, Dells, and Budp's posts. Glad to see your putting up what works for you. I wish I had something useful to share, but as you know I'm just starting and working with two rods. There being a little tempermental at the moment as you know from our offline email. It get's a lttle frustrating but I'll work through that. Keep up the good work everybody!!

BF750

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
After putting it on the back burner of my mind to simmer, looking at what others have said about solar flares, increasing the body's magnetic field, I think our body's lifeforce energy, chi, is a big part of dowsing. Perhaps by meditating, doing tai chi or chi gong, or other things along those lines, ones success as a beginner improves.

So once a dowser detects something, what is successful in getting the landowner's permission and not send for the guys with the butterfly nets? Do we even bother trying? Might get shot at either way whether we ask or don't ask.

Once something IS found and the above question is taken care of, how does one handle the success of the find? Does one have to keep it a secret before everyone starts asking you for money?

Thanks, Joe

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Once something IS found and the above question is taken care of, how does one handle the success of the find? Does one have to keep it a secret before everyone starts asking you for money?
My thinking on that is……If it is a huge find I keep it as secret as possible….I do not take photo’s of objects that I do not plan on keeping…the only photo’s of finds that I publish are all in my personal collection…….Of course there are family and few close friends that know everything…..Art

Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, teleprospector and everyone,

I am late in joining this thread, but wanted to insert my $.02, regardless, by saying that Jon's technique is virtually identical to mine. I could not have described the protocol any better, too. Kudos!

Sincerely,
-C

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you be interested in saving many hours of work in your search for your interest item? I'd like to share with you what has worked for me over the years. You don't need perpetual dowsing lessons to have it work for you, just the basics and you take it from there. The exercises below were chosen for their simplicity in making locations on a map, enabling you to get into the field quicker for your recoveries. These excercises get you up close and personal with your map work and really get you involved with it. There is no reason to feel that you are invading someone's personal space when it comes to map dowsing. The pinpointing excercises were thrown in there if you would like to challenge yourself more, but they are'nt needed to make a successful location on a map. That's what map dowsing enables us to do...narrowing down the search area.The better the scale/accuracy of your map/photo/sketch...the better your dowsing. It's also very difficult to match up certain scale maps to the terrain. Like it was mentioned before, map dowsing is a starting point, but what's the point of making 10 locations on a map if you cannot make one in the field? The proof and the truth of the map work will be revealed in the field. Before we get started I would like you to be sure of your reactions with your instruments, study the posts by Art, Dell and others. My information here will be dealing with the single L-rod and the pendulum for map work.You need to be able to undestand what your instruments are telling you.(what your yes and no are) I'm sure you've heard of people who were or are code talkers, well, dowsers are code receivers. (SEE ESTABLISHING YOUR DOWSING CODES BELOW)You can expect the same reactions over the map as your do in the field,(a pull and lock of the rod,and a swing of the pendulum towards your target)so I would like you to practice in and around your home on your item of interest and get that down pat. I'd like you to realize that these methods are what work for me and are simple excercises for you to start with. In the beginning you may experience fatigue as your nervous system is adjusting to the dowsing procedure.When you do,just take a break and resume once you've become refreshed again.Over time and with practice this fatigue will subside.If you practice often,in about a month your mental agility and concentration will improve multi fold and the ability to find objects on a map will become easier for you. I've found that you have to put yourself into your dowsing. Become a team with your instruments,but let them work for you.There are many,many other methods of map dowsing exercises that work,and many on the forum here will suggest them,I urge you to try them and find what works for you as you are developing your particular style of dowsing. DO YOU NEED HIGH END EQUIPMENT TO DOWSE WITH? No.You may make your own rods from coathangers or brass/copper, wood. You may make a pendulum using a steel hex nut and some string to start out with. Most people as they progress move into something a little more sophisticated such as a crystal pendulum or brass pendulum or rods with bearing type handles. I want to suggest choosing an instrument that you are drawn to naturally,whatever the material type or mechanically how it works. I've tried all types of instruments from crude constructed L-rods and pendulums all the way up to manufactured equipment. The differences between them can be compared to driving from the east coast of the country to the west coast in a pinto vs. a cadillac..you will still get there. No matter what the quality and what bells/whistles the instrument has, you are what makes dowsing work more so than the instrument, you still need to understand what it is telling as you do your searching. If you have something that is working for you wether it's a dowsing technique or a particular instrument there is no reason to change that. Everyone is different and everyone gets different movements for yes and no answers. The important thing is that you are getting a reaction that you can interpret all the way through to your recovery.To each their own. ESTABLISHING YOUR DOWSING CODES (yes and no) With a pair of ANGLE RODS: Hold the rods as you would 2 pistols,with your arms tucked slightly at your side, then look at the tip of at least 1 rod and ask: What is our yes answer to a question? Watch what they do, for most people they cross inward but for some people they swing outward or one of the rods may move and the other not. Practice this for awhile until you get a repeatable response then draw what your yes answer is on a index card. Repeat this excercise to obtain your no answer. Don't forget to label each rod.. right hand and left hand and always pick them up this way. SINGLE L-ROD: Hold the rod in your writing hand and follow the same procedure as you did for the angle rods. PENDULUM: Hold your pendulum at the end of it's chain about 1 foot from yourself and chest high with your arm and wrist in a sort of curve downward with your other fingers curved down and spread apart looking at the tip of the pendulum and ask: What is our yes answer to a question? Common movements for a yes are a clockwise circle or a swing to and fro. Practice this until you get a repeatable code for both yes and no then draw what that is on an index card. Sometimes the instruments will want to change up on you, if this happens, just ask them to go back to your original codes.(index card dwg.) It's very important to your success to let your yes mean yes and you no mean no. HOW DOES THIS APPLY TO MAP/FIELD WORK? Once your codes are established,you may use what's called information dowsing to initally inquire about something requiring a yes/no answer. For example, hold your instrument over your photo and ask "Is the gold coin cache I seek anywhere in the area represented by this photo?" then just wait for your yes/no. When in the field you may ask,"Am I facing in the direction of the buried gold coin cache?" and wait for your yes/no. Once you get a yes then walk that direction line with the instrument in it's proper position. Walking with the instruments will require lots of practice.When you are over the target you will get your yes answer again with whatever instrument you are using. Remember that when you practice the map dowsing excercises below that your pendulum will swing to the location,then give you your yes when you are over the hot spot. With the L-rod it will swing and lock in the direction of the target. SO HOW DO WE BEGIN ? Let's start with the SINGLE L-ROD. Most people feel that this instrument is the instrument of choice for map and field work beacause it gives you the most noticable and easiest to interpret answer. You'll need a table about waist high, so that when you are standing with your L-rod you are as comfortable with it here as you are in the field,and your level antenna should be between 2 to 6 inches above your map. You will also need 2 wood dowel rods 1/4" dia. x however long you need to cover your map, a ruler, pencil, masking tape and your 2 coins. I use 2 1/4"x 24"plexiglass strips in place of the wood dowel rods (SEE PICTURE BELOW) You will also need a sketch of your property (however you want to obtain that) it can be to scale or hand drawn. Try to show things accurately. Or use a floor plan dwg. of your house. I suggest starting out in a small and familiar area before you move on into larger areas and blind locations to map dowse. 1) I'd like you to stand (if you are able) like you do in your field searches when you do map work.(Does anyone dowse sitting down in the field?) Have your helper hide the silver coin/object. Find a quiet place in your home free of negative vibes and distractions when you do your map work. 2) Align one of your north and south margin lines of your map with true north/south or magnetic north/south where YOU are doing the map work using a compass then tape the corners of your map down so that it is flat on the table. Hold the coin in your opposite hand or tape it to the rod. Stand at whatever side of the table you want and pick up the L-rod and let it warm up. 3) Your state of mind should be calm, cool and collected or your normal natural self. Just relax and breathe normally. 4) Position your L-rod pointing straight ahead with your arm tucked gently at your side. Look at the tip of the rod and pose this question silently in your mind while picturing the silver coin in your mind: Where in this dwg.on my property now, (below or on) the earth's surface is a silver coin? or cache of silver coins? (be specific about what you are asking).The tone and tempo of this question should be like it is when you ask a friend of yours a question when you are in a calm state of mind. Try to picture the words you are thinking and have the image of the silver coins(s) in your mind's eye. If you are having problems concentrating on this question,you may write it down and read it to yourself silently. Eventually,with practice,you will be able to call to mind this question and hold the image of your search item in your mind's eye to perform this part of the exercise with no problem. Remember that you dowse as you think, not just with the mental pictures but with the words you choose as you pose questions to your instruments, so do your best to focus on what you are doing. 4a) If you want to dowse the map several times and get an average of your hot spots another option would be to go and get 5 to 6 sheets of white xerox type paper and place a sheet over the map for every dowse you do. Then you won't be distracted by the previous mark you made the dowse before. When you are done with the 6 sheets of paper, then hold them up to the light and see how close all the dots are you made for each dowse. I feel that if you can cover all the dots with a dime size coin then you are close enough to proceed into the field. Eventually you will be able to dowse w/o using the 5 or 6 sheets of xerox paper. Try to strive for this accuracy with any scale map, photo or sketch. 5) Now keep the silver coin image in your mind's eye the best you can (and at the same time you may also picture the words "silver coin" in your mind's eye and silently say it to yourself) and begin to sweep the rod smoothy and with the tip of the rod slightly tipped down 1/8" to 1/4" from level over the dwg, keeping the antenna between 2 to 6 inches from the surface of the map (or a comfortable height as you sweep the rod so that you are not stooping over the map) 6) As you sweep and continue to look at the tip of the rod's antenna, turn your hips as you sweep slowly left and then right (just like you do in the field) a few times over the drawing, keeping the rod from wandering aimlessly, but don't try and control it. 7) As you are sweeping, let the rod do the work, just like a hunter who lets his dog go out in search of game. At some point your rod will lock, hold this position and grab your dowel rod or ruler to mark this direction line. If you use a ruler, just draw a light line on the dwg. 8) Now step around the table 90 deg. and repeat the excercise. Where the 2 dowel rods intersect is the area where your object of interest is located. Circle this area with a pencil. Depending on your map scale, this may be sufficient for you to go to the field for your recovery, or look in your home/property for the object. 9) Keep your questions simple and to the point and of a yes or no type inquiry. I word mine this way beacause your unconscious mind needs to know that you are referring to a place in or on the ground, right now in time, and that's when the dowsing reaction (transposition) will occur. Your map is just a reference, pointing out the true location of your item in the field. SOME HINTS BEFORE YOU MAP DOWSE WITH THE PENDULUM Let's talk about the design of the pendulm for a moment. Most people hold it by the end of it's chain, but did you know that you can tune the pendulum to the object of your search? By not tuning it, it's like listening to a musician who's instrument is out of tune. Tuning the pendulum let's us zero in on it's "sweet spot" on the chain for a given item. For every pendulum this is a different spot,but once you find it, I have not found that it changes. HOW TO TUNE YOUR PENDULUM TO AN OBJECT: 1) Hold your pendulum so that your thumb and index finger are at the top of the pendulum and let the chain slip very slowly through your fingers over a silver coin,keeping your eyes on the tip (or bottom) of the pendulum and keeping the tip of the pendulum about 2" above the coin as you let the chain slip through your thumb and index finger. At some point the pendulum will start to circle or give you your yes answer very emphatically. 2) Mark this part of the chain with paint or fingernail polish as this is your tuning for the silver coin on the chain with this particular pendulum. HOW TO TUNE YOUR PENDULUM TO YOURSELF: This is if you want to ask the pendulum ?'s about yourself or if you don't know what you are looking for on the map just yet. 1) Take your non dowsing hand turn it palm side up and follow the above procedure for tuning a pendulum. FOR MAP DOWSING WITH THE PENDULUM: 1) You've tuned it to your object. Place the edge of your silver coin against the chain while it's being held between your thumb and index finger or you may leave the silver coin on the corner of your map like you did with the L-rod dowse. 2) Just like with the L-rod stand and hold your pendulum at the bottom of the map, pose your silent question, look at the tip of the pendulum, concentrate on your silver coin image.(see #5 L-rod) 3) Just like the L-rod, let the pendulum do the work for you, and follow the swing line over the map, mark this line with the dowel rods/ruler under the swinging pendulum. 4) Step 90 deg. over, repeat your silent question and picture your silver coin image in your mind's eye, follow the swing line of the pendulum, lay the dowel rod on this line under the swinging pendulum and circle the area where your dowels intersect. This is your area of interest where your item is located. You may elect to practice your accuracy using the xerox sheets as described above. (see L-rod 4a) One easy way to develop your mind's eye image concentration is to obtain pictures of what you are looking for and practice gazing upon them and holding the image in your mind's eye for as long as you can, keeping your eyes open.Then combine this when you dowse with your instruments and you will have success. Once again these are the methods that work for me and I hope that by reading, trying and practicing all the methods from everyone on the forum that it will make you a better person and dowser. So there you have it, there is nothing mysterious about map dowsing. We can't see the wind but we do see it's effects, and we can't see the thousands of invisible radio waves, but we hear the proof of them. So too with dowsing. When the rod led early humans to wild game, do you think they wondered how or why it worked that way? Dowsing will work for you if you allow it, just be positive, patient, practice daily if you can, become it's friend and put your whole mind, body and soul into it and your efforts won't be for naught. Buy out the time to prove it to yourself that it works. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and giving the excercises a try. Wishing you success in all your treasure hunting endeavors. Jon

Teleprospector, thanks for the very detailed instructions. I found your advice to be very informative and I will try your techniques to see if they help me to improve my dowsing results. I was really really interested in the comment about dowsing wild game. It never occurred to me that this is possible, and serves as a good example of why it is important to keep an open mind about dowsing. Deer season comes in soon, and the big bucks may have trouble hiding from me now after I dowse my hunting spots on google earth. I hope other hunters don't get mad when I find out where the bucks are hiding that they have been trying to pattern. LOL !!!
Seriously though, I will try this on my deer hunting and musky fishing spots to see what kind of results I get. I love grouse hunting too, but gave it up due to not being able to find any in recent years. This may change how I approach that challenge,

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey WVPawpa…..Map dowsing can be used for most anything….We have located lost cats and a dead deer right here on T-net….Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread