My best garage sale find for the week probably the month...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a sweet little art deco nude pin tray made by Rookwood and dated 1932. The lady said she got it from her mom and she thought it was old. I gladly paid $20.00 for it. :thumbsup:

100_4279.jpg100_4284.jpg

I agree with famous turtle treasures, that's VERY NICE find, diggummup :o :notworthy: , and well worth the $20 you paid for it!
I just love old pottery and I don't see a whole lot of it anymore at garage sales around here.

Cool find man! I don't run across that art deco stuff too often. I guess folks around here aren't as "aristocratic" as they are in your area. :wink: They also hold on for dear life to their good glass pieces 'round these parts.

Thanks for the comments. I couldn't believe it was priced that cheap, I got a couple other things from her too, including a piece of older Fenton which i'll sell. She had alot of asian pottery there too but it was priced a little high, go figure. This area down here has long been a retirement mecca for the nation. I believe this has something to do with the availability of certain types of finds, though the truly good ones are few and far between. But I can't, for the life of me, find any of the lamps/lights or many of the "Hollywood Regency" or Mid-Century Modern" types of items that Turtle finds, if I do they want an arm and a leg for it. Example, a couple weekends ago at an estate sale I found a nice Sunburst clock similar to this

unnamed.jpg

They wanted $100 for it, and here's the kicker... One of the rays was broken in half!

diggummup said:
I picked up a sweet little art deco nude pin tray made by Rookwood and dated 1932. The lady said she got it from her mom and she thought it was old. I gladly paid $20.00 for it. :thumbsup:
How the heck you find all this Rookwood?? I still am looking for my first peice...lol I bet that ashtray is worth a nice chunk...

creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
How the heck you find all this Rookwood?? I still am looking for my first peice...lol I bet that ashtray is worth a nice chunk...
This is the first piece of Rookwood I found at an actual garage sale. Most of the good stuff has been found at estate sales or thrift stores in the past, but it's getting harder and harder to find good pottery at the thrift stores, and the estate sales have to be unknowing family members selling, which is one in a hundred lately too.

diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
This is the first piece of Rookwood I found at an actual garage sale. Most of the good stuff has been found at estate sales or thrift stores in the past, but it's getting harder and harder to find good pottery at the thrift stores, and the estate sales have to be unknowing family members selling, which is one in a hundred lately too.
I haven't found any Rookwood anywhere.. that is since 1997 when I first started

jerseypicked said:
How do you identify a Rookwood piece?
Rookwood os most easily identified by the backwards R and P logo, this was also joined with the Rookwood flame trademark impression. Between 1886 and 1900 a flame was added each year representing the date. In 1901 they stopped adding flames and started using Roman numbers under the logo. Pieces were also impressed with shape numbers (1-7301) and letters (A-F) that indicated the size. I do have a piece that has only the flames without the RP logo that dates to 1905. It was hand painted by Alice Willits and is worth a pretty penny. Here are some examples of the different Rookwood marks on pieces I have-

Unsigned 1925
100_4271.jpg 100_4270.jpg

Jens Jensen 1944
100_4335.jpg 100_4333.jpg

Alice Willits 1905
100_4271.jpg 100_4270.jpg

Attachments

• 100_4623.jpg
    100_4623.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 505
  • 100_4627.jpg
    100_4627.jpg