The streets are paved with silver and gold (Big Post)

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some background first. I have been a treasure hunter all my life. I started as a rock hound around age 6 looking for geodes and petrified wood with my Dad in Colorado and Utah. I loved it and we expanded to fossil hunting and from there Indian artifact and arrowhead hunting. Finally, for my 15th birthday I got a metal detector and soon I was out looking for old west relics. I had mild success with these hunts and it really got me hooked, but I wanted more! I do a lot of stream fishing in the Colorado Rockies which gave me the idea to do a little prospecting and gold panning while I was out fishing since it was right in the heart of the gold belt. I've only ever found a little piece of gold flake which I proudly have saved in a tiny glass vile. While I truly enjoy all these hunts the results have not really been enough to justify the time and effort put into them (at least financially speaking). I graduated high school in 2009 and started as a full time college student still in Colorado. With my busy college schedule I had to cut down on my treasure hunting activities. I would still sometimes metal detect a local park every now and then but that was really all I had time for and I have still only found come clad coins and nothing much of value. It seemed I lost my treasure hunting ways....until recently. Around last October (2012) I went with my girlfriend to an estate sale because she wanted to find some Halloween decorations. I found myself looking at some expensive looking jewelry but since it was the last day of the sale everything was half off so I had the bright idea to buy some and turn it for a quick profit at the pawn shop down the road. I bought 3 necklaces for about $3 each not knowing much about this sort of thing and hoped for the best. I brought them into the pawn shop and to my surprise the guy offered me $175 for one of them! I was so excited I took the money without a second thought (Big mistake.. I saved the receipt and later on after educating myself on precious metals I realized it was 14k gold and worth about $600). I learned two valuable things on this day. First, never sell stuff at a pawn shop and second garage and estate sales are goldmines! I began to teach myself about gold and silver identification and found surprisingly easy to learn. I took the next step and purchased a rare earth magnet and little $20 kit with an acid scratch test, diamond tester and eye loupe which I still use to this day eight months later.

Below I have some pictures of whats in my current collection. I have scrapped a ton of beat up and common pieces, enough to pay for everything I've purchased and then some. I'm actually making more money on gold and silver from thrift stores/goodwill/garage sales from just the weekends then my part time job at Applebees. I finally found how to treasure hunt on a college schedule and budget! I only buy items that are mislabeled and not recognized as gold or silver so I've sniped all this stuff for pennies on the dollar. I also try not to get scrap happy because I know some of this stuff has a lot more historical and artistic value over melt value and I really enjoy finding the history of the more uncommon pieces.
Anyways, here are some pics of whats in my current collection. Some of this will be gone by the end of the week but more will be found on the weekend :)
Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Some lovely lovely gold (mostly 14k)
XvSi72I.jpg

Everything is hallmarked solid silver and tested
JJVgOpf.jpg

C9S6MK3.jpg

The top row is mostly sterling handled items.

MkIo8Vw.jpg

I get a lot of these little spoons
DsDmNkv.jpg

Necklaces. The gold ones are gold plated silver.
Zj3upOh.jpg

The edges on those decorative plates are thick sterling.
bZ0rLMv.jpg

The big plate is from goodwill 606 grams for $5! Good deal on the brush too
BJvgQRN.jpg

you might recognize some spoons from my other posts.
LS7erYh.jpg

Salt shakers and miscellaneous
CWFs3iA.jpg

Some rings and earrings and small stuff. All fake diamonds sadly
CH7pdPa.jpg

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a lot of luck buying new and lightly used items and then sell them on amazon. I picked up about 40 new HP toner cartridges a week ago for $750. I've sold about half of them for $2200 and the rest should go quickly. Other wins have been board games (Scrabble premium edition. Paid $10, sold for $225), Religious books (paid $40 for about 200 books, so far, I've sold about $600 and have about 175 left to sell). Computer accessories can do well (external sound card upgrade, paid $3, sold for $100. Screen splitter, Paid $15, listed now for $215). I am not yet really good at finding gold or silver. I am going to buy a test kit... I did find about 2 pounds of sterling a few weeks ago (all stamped) for $200. No gold yet (not that I know of). Anyhow, don't overlook new and high quality, expensive used stuff. There is a lot more money that you are just walking over to get to that gold and silver.

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously, around me you never find anything at thrift stores, they are either priced too high($30 for a sterling ring) because all the stores know what is what or totally picked over. Way too much competition. And garage sales, those just started maybe a month ago at the earliest and again fierce competition.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a whole lotta stuff in a short period of time. I apply the same techniques but the competition is extreme and cut throat, not to mention most of the time with estate sales, the pm's are usually snatched up by the estate sale company before the sale. I mean they must be, because 19 out of 20 (estate) sales do not contain any pm's whatsoever, except an occasional missed piece.

FloridaHunter

Dec 6, 2004
Florida
Shofs, good job. You must live in a good area.

Diggummup is right. I hit 15-20 every weekend, and it is absolutely cut throat. Most sales have no gold or silver, and if anything was there it is long gone. If a sale is at 8, then people were there at 6am. And worse, I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a sale and any jewelry they had was sold days before to someone who replied to the ad. It is very slim pickings these days!!! I love it though and will still keep going!

Last edited:
OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of luck buying new and lightly used items and then sell them on amazon. I picked up about 40 new HP toner cartridges a week ago for $750. I've sold about half of them for $2200 and the rest should go quickly. Other wins have been board games (Scrabble premium edition. Paid $10, sold for $225), Religious books (paid $40 for about 200 books, so far, I've sold about $600 and have about 175 left to sell). Computer accessories can do well (external sound card upgrade, paid $3, sold for $100. Screen splitter, Paid $15, listed now for $215). I am not yet really good at finding gold or silver. I am going to buy a test kit... I did find about 2 pounds of sterling a few weeks ago (all stamped) for $200. No gold yet (not that I know of). Anyhow, don't overlook new and high quality, expensive used stuff. There is a lot more money that you are just walking over to get to that gold and silver.
You are absolutely correct I am walking over tons of other great items with tons of cash potential and maybe one day I will expand my budget to those. The reason I haven't yet is because its really only a hobby for me right now. I really don't want to make it my only source income or I feel some of the fun would be taken out of the hunt. Inventory isn't really an issue I have plenty to sell and if I'm going to fill my room up with garage sale stuff it might as well be sterling because I can buy it cheap, the items are usually small and its shiny and I like shiny :) Great job on your finds though!! I've been curious about buying books myself I picked up some old ones from the 1800's for $.10 the other day I need to learn more about that market.

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a whole lotta stuff in a short period of time. I apply the same techniques but the competition is extreme and cut throat, not to mention most of the time with estate sales, the pm's are usually snatched up by the estate sale company before the sale. I mean they must be, because 19 out of 20 (estate) sales do not contain any pm's whatsoever, except an occasional missed piece.
Shofs, good job. You must live in a good area. Diggummup is right. I hit 15-20 every weekend, and it is absolutely cut throat. Most sales have no gold or silver, and if anything was there it is long gone. If a sale is at 8, then people were there at 6am. And worse, I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a sale and any jewelry they had was sold days before to someone who replied to the ad. It is very slim pickings these days!!! I love it though and will still keep going!
Seriously, around me you never find anything at thrift stores, they are either priced too high($30 for a sterling ring) because all the stores know what is what or totally picked over. Way too much competition. And garage sales, those just started maybe a month ago at the earliest and again fierce competition.
I do have strategies (and luck) but heres my usual game plan. I am the farthest thing from a morning person I usually leave my house around 1030 on a good day so I avoid that cutthroat crowd. You would be surprised at what is missed in that shoulder to shoulder chaos I work best when I can take my sweet time and really examine a supposedly "silver plated" piece. Also, I don't ever assume that something has been checked over. I personally look at every singe spoon, fork , knife (I have a ton of luck with sterling handle knifes everyone misses those) bowl, plate and any jewelery. Optimism is my best tool. I treat everything, thrift stores included, like its never been checked over and it really seems to work. I think sometimes people think a sale is checked over so they don't check themselves but what they don't realize is everyone else is thinking the same thing. When I'm looking for hallmarks theres always at least one person that comes up and tells me "theres no sterling in there" or "all the sterling is up in the case" and I just ignore this and it pays off every weekend :) I do this at antique stores too. Every antique store as a pile of silver plated flatware usually for 2 or 3 dollars a piece and every time theres at least one piece of sterling they missed. I have like a 90% success rate in those antique store piles. Also, make sure to learn about different country silver marks I learned them all from this page Guide to World Hallmarks - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks
My last trick up my sleeve is that I'm blessed with good eyesight. I don't use a loupe when I'm out in the field and I can even read hallmarks on those little spring ring clasps on necklaces without magnification. This helps a ton, the only thing I bring with me is my neodymium magnet.

Edit: I forgot to mention I use craigslist to find estate sales that are NOT company run and make it a priority to go to those. Even is they don't say they are selling silver plate or jewelry I'll go to a family run sale before a company sale no matter how good the company sale sounds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW is all I can say....

well, can you tell us about the pocket watch...make? jewels?
Ooo thats one of my favorites despite being only 20 year gold filled and not solid gold. I got it for $2 because it was broken sadly. Heres what I know about it. Made in 1899 and not as many jewels as others I've seen but I am no expert on watches.
A.W.W. CO WALTHAM MASS GOLD POCKET WATCH
MuMMcVj.png

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Your "strategy" is sound & I hope it continues to work out for you. Except for the fact that I get moving earlier than you do I'm not doing anything different. I'm not going to claim I never miss a piece but can guarantee the few pieces I do miss are small. I'd be wiling to bet diggumup isn't missing many pieces either. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. It also sounds like you are working in an area with less competition than here.

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your "strategy" is sound & I hope it continues to work out for you. Except for the fact that I get moving earlier than you do I'm not doing anything different. I'm not going to claim I never miss a piece but can guarantee the few pieces I do miss are small. I'd be wiling to bet diggumup isn't missing many pieces either. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. It also sounds like you are working in an area with less competition than here.
I live 15 min south of Denver Colorado if any one wants to know the location and I do take pride in finding the small stuff :) whats interesting is a big percentage of the larger items I find are from goodwill and other thrift stores. All the price tags have been scratched off by other pickers looking for hallmarks but I just ignore this and check myself and have a surprising amount of luck.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Books are really hit or miss. There is no potential on eBay. Amazon does pretty well. Just check what you buy on amazon price check and make sure you compare against used prices. Art books are great. College Text books are killer if they are current. Anything that was a top 100 seller is junk. Novels, history, etc. junk.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I love books, especially old ones, myself...but it's a bit of a minefield if you expect to make a profit. Old books are not neccesarily worth anything...but old books that are in close to mint condition, yes. I bought a couple of old (1800's) "boys" adventure type books that had nice gilt artwork on the cover for $10 ea, looked like they'd never been read...sold one to a British collector on eBay for $500 and threw the other in for good will.
Also books that have specialized info, even if recent, go well. Sold a book that I'd bought for myself (though it was pricey at $35 for a large paperback) on crafting your own doors and windows, sold it recently on Amazon for $150 because it was uncommon and out of print.
If you have a smart phone, run a search on Abebooks if you see something promising...you might be surprised!

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! You have some great pieces in those pics. Some of that flatware that can be 50% over melt, maybe more on some select pieces. Gold, yes... drool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions