The streets are paved with silver and gold (Big Post)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what you are doing, keep it up. This is from the old guy in the group. Don't forget to ask for old coins too. Don't say silver, just "old" That worked for me three times in the last month.

Sounds like you are about to graduate college. My daughter just graduated from a four year and is off to a two year in August. She has picked up a few of my treasure hunting genes. She has found a $20 and jewelry on campus going to classes.

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Books are really hit or miss. There is no potential on eBay. Amazon does pretty well. Just check what you buy on amazon price check and make sure you compare against used prices. Art books are great. College Text books are killer if they are current. Anything that was a top 100 seller is junk. Novels, history, etc. junk.
Yes, I love books, especially old ones, myself...but it's a bit of a minefield if you expect to make a profit. Old books are not neccesarily worth anything...but old books that are in close to mint condition, yes. I bought a couple of old (1800's) "boys" adventure type books that had nice gilt artwork on the cover for $10 ea, looked like they'd never been read...sold one to a British collector on eBay for $500 and threw the other in for good will.
Also books that have specialized info, even if recent, go well. Sold a book that I'd bought for myself (though it was pricey at $35 for a large paperback) on crafting your own doors and windows, sold it recently on Amazon for $150 because it was uncommon and out of print.
If you have a smart phone, run a search on Abebooks if you see something promising...you might be surprised!
Thanks for the tips guys! Abebooks is now part of my hunting "utility belt".

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what you are doing, keep it up. This is from the old guy in the group. Don't forget to ask for old coins too. Don't say silver, just "old" That worked for me three times in the last month.

Sounds like you are about to graduate college. My daughter just graduated from a four year and is off to a two year in August. She has picked up a few of my treasure hunting genes. She has found a $20 and jewelry on campus going to classes.
I'm always looking out for new hunting ideas thanks for the heads up! I actually got into coin hunting (especially silver coins) a few months before I got into garage sales. I did a little coin roll searching and had some luck buying from lots on teller trays but I have recently slowed down on coins because of how much more silver I was finding at garage sales. I never really thought to ask at sales if they might have some coins inside I'm going to start doing that. I really do appreciate the kindness and tips from you guys on this forum so I'll pay you back with one of my own secret methods!

--Step 1: Go to all the bank branches near you and tell the tellers you are a new coin collector looking to start up a collection.
--Step 2: Leave them your number and ask them to call you whenever they get in any old/big/foreign/ $.50 pieces ect
--Step 3: Keep a $5 starbucks gift card handy and reward them every now and then when you find good stuff they saved for you.

Of the 6 or so banks I've asked to do this for me I have 3 that call me regularly. It saves me the time it takes randomly searching for coins and it guarantees I get first pick of any silver that might be brought in.
Heres some pic's of my current coin collection. The war nickels and some of the dimes are from coin roll searching. The rest of the dimes and a few quarters are from garage sales and the remaining including the Morgans are from the banks saving them for me. Its not a big collection but hey it takes no time out of my day and its something :)
V42RZ5Q.jpg

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some really nice pieces there and a fantastic collection over all. All put together with a good eye and patience. nice work!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always looking out for new hunting ideas thanks for the heads up! I actually got into coin hunting (especially silver coins) a few months before I got into garage sales. I did a little coin roll searching and had some luck buying from lots on teller trays but I have recently slowed down on coins because of how much more silver I was finding at garage sales. I never really thought to ask at sales if they might have some coins inside I'm going to start doing that. I really do appreciate the kindness and tips from you guys on this forum so I'll pay you back with one of my own secret methods!

--Step 1: Go to all the bank branches near you and tell the tellers you are a new coin collector looking to start up a collection.
--Step 2: Leave them your number and ask them to call you whenever they get in any old/big/foreign/ $.50 pieces ect
--Step 3: Keep a $5 starbucks gift card handy and reward them every now and then when you find good stuff they saved for you.

Of the 6 or so banks I've asked to do this for me I have 3 that call me regularly. It saves me the time it takes randomly searching for coins and it guarantees I get first pick of any silver that might be brought in.
Heres some pic's of my current coin collection. The war nickels and some of the dimes are from coin roll searching. The rest of the dimes and a few quarters are from garage sales and the remaining including the Morgans are from the banks saving them for me. Its not a big collection but hey it takes no time out of my day and its something :)
V42RZ5Q.jpg

Seems like a great method, it certainly bagged you a bunch of older coins that are very rare to find in normal CRH circumstances. I can't get over feeling like I'm bribing them though

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a great method, it certainly bagged you a bunch of older coins that are very rare to find in normal CRH circumstances. I can't get over feeling like I'm bribing them though
The Starbucks gift cards I give them are more from good intentions and a thank you than a bribe. Each of the three tellers that do this for me know the coins are worth more than their face amounts, but they seem to not be interested in old coins and get more joy out of fueling my hobby. They have told me before that when someone brings in old coins they try and action them off the all their next customers just to get rid of them (imagine my reaction when they said that) which is the reason I asked them to just call me instead in the first place. I wanted to give the tellers something in appreciation and just straight cash seemed to much like a bribe and I didn't even know if that would be legal so next best thing is little gift cards. I'm pretty sure if I didn't bring any occasional gifts they would still call me :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread